Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 21, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #31 of 75,271
Yes, I have to admit that I prefer the PK2 to the MX760. Something about it just doesn't sound right. Yes, the MX760 is airy and has that big-can feel, but unlike the PK2/PK3 it seems artificially so. They're not done burning in yet, but unless there's a huge jump in smoothness I really can't imagine how they can be in on-level with the PK1. As of right now I prefer the PK2 and maybe even the PK3 to them.

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #33 of 75,271
Haven't listen to PK2 for a long long time (> 4 yrs), but on the topic of where MX760 should belong: I think there is no doubt the PK1 (and maybe PK2) sound better than MX760, but whether PK1 is $130 better than MX760 (I can find MX760 for ~$30 in big retailer now) is what put them both in the same category. Also, it is obvious to me MX760 doesn't belong to the next tier. Plus, if you consider PK1's requirement of an amp and the ease of driving MX760 w/o one (it is the only one in the top category that doesn't need amping to sound good), I reckon MX760 deserves its place on the ranking.

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #34 of 75,271
I am not questioning your ranking. On the contrary, I am very glad someone else can come out and say that the high end gear isn't always worth 5 or 10x more than the budget picks. I guess what throws me off is that looking at your ranking people will think the MX760 is a top-tier earphone, which it is not. Only when one considers the rankings to be price and gear-conscious does the high position of the MX760 make sense. I paid $15 for mine and would gladly recommend it to anyone at that price. A PK2 killer it is not.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #35 of 75,271
Thus comes the problem of a simple ranking: there are simply not enough space to fill in all the detail (and unrealistic for doing so). Instead of reading the ranking and thinking that PK1, HR1, MX90vc, MX760 and LX90 are all comparably great earbud that have similar performance, the actual message is more like: PK1, HR1, MX90vc, MX760 and LX90 are all better than most other earbuds, and in b/w them, PK1 is better than HR1, which is better than MX90vc,... and so on.

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #37 of 75,271
I like what you did on your first shootout where you ranked the group by both raw SQ and then by value. I think it's a good way to look at products, both from an absolute as well as a relative term. However, it's typically good to provide both views together to provide a better sense of reality.

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:19 AM Post #38 of 75,271
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any plan to create a diagram?

A diagram might be easier for the eyes, but I am not sure it will add anything new to what already been said.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #41 of 75,271
Searching their Toronto address turns out to be a retirement home. Not very assuring if you asked me.

Sep 23, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #42 of 75,271
i found this review , it is said that the legendary Sony E484 is the best Earbuds by Sony, better than E888, do u know anything about this model??

Google Translate

searching in ebay, amazon, etc... can`t find any shop selling it
frown.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #43 of 75,271
Of course you can't find it. IIRC, E484 predates E888 and has been out-of-production for over 10 yrs now. In any case, don't read to much into old review - Those might be the best of their time, but I doubt they will be the best of our time. Earbuds' world sure changed a lot since the introduction of Yuin.

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #44 of 75,271
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like what you did on your first shootout where you ranked the group by both raw SQ and then by value. I think it's a good way to look at products, both from an absolute as well as a relative term. However, it's typically good to provide both views together to provide a better sense of reality.

Tha would be cool. Though the prices differ around the world their relative cost to one another would be the same.

Sep 25, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #45 of 75,271
Quote:

Originally Posted by a_tumiwa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EKT Electronics
i found that the shop is selling many uncommon series of Sony Earbuds,
do you think this shop sell the genuine Sony earbuds?

Looks like complete fail to me. Packaging sucks, layouts on the packing looks wrong, the product inside isn't even right. Example, look at the MDR-CD550. It's a completely different phone versus the real one.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back