Earbuds Round-Up
May 4, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #4,368 of 75,871
Those new monk+ style foams don't affect the sound at all like the old style foams did. So just slap some of those suckers on, grab a decent amp, and wait for the realization you don't want to use any buds but the Zen to kick in :)

May 4, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #4,369 of 75,871

The one thing that is obvious to me, is that getting a proper seal pretty much determines if a bud is right for you or not.

I found out this is not always the obvious way to go. For me some earbuds sound better with loose fit. The best example would be Lyra 6 - you push it too hard into your ear and it sounds dull, let it hang on its hook, barely inserted into your ear and it sounds sweet. Another example would be Cygnus - again, sounds better with just a little loose fit.

May 4, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #4,370 of 75,871

Oh, I 100% agree and I think it is good that Head-Fi has taken some steps to fix the issue.  

Though I will say, on Head-Fi, it is hard to say something is good when it is not, because other users will quickly call them out.  

Ya agreed. Even though I always doubt the authenticity of reviews where a product is free. It's not like the person can outright lie, especially multiple times, otherwise they'd be found out as a "poor reviewer" or at worst an outright fraud/liar. So I'm not really concerned about these biased reviews (which without a doubt I would say it is biased) because they can't be THAT biased. This has happened in the past before with the Tingo Croons TG38S. I am almost sure that earbud was a scam referral tactic as it was said they were better than blox etc which is outright complete blasphemy. 

And also for any clarification about me personally, all earbuds in my personal rankings in the original thread I started here have been paid completely by me without a discount/freebie for reviews or any arrangements thereof. So I can completely say I think my rankings are as unbiased as possible, at least for me haha. 

May 4, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #4,371 of 75,871
Ya agreed. Even though I always doubt the authenticity of reviews where a product is free. It's not like the person can outright lie, especially multiple times, otherwise they'd be found out as a "poor reviewer" or at worst an outright fraud/liar. So I'm not really concerned about these biased reviews (which without a doubt I would say it is biased) because they can't be THAT biased. This has happened in the past before with the Tingo Croons TG38S. I am almost sure that earbud was a scam referral tactic as it was said they were better than blox etc which is outright complete blasphemy. 

And also for any clarification about me personally, all earbuds in my personal rankings in the original thread I started here have been paid completely by me without a discount/freebie for reviews or any arrangements thereof. So I can completely say I think my rankings are as unbiased as possible, at least for me haha. 

I got tricked into buying the TG38s, one of my least favorite buds of all time.  Luckily I now have a decent collection, though all of them are budget to mid priced.  I do not own anything like the Zens.

See, I have bought about 50% of my Earbuds and 50% have been sent my way for review, all of them get rated the exact same way for me.

Speaking of, I have a plethora of earbuds I bought (not review samples) headed my way.  Really excited to try them out.  Some are budget and some are about mid grade.  I'll post up my thoughts as they roll in. 

May 4, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #4,372 of 75,871
So I can completely say I think my rankings are as unbiased as possible, at least for me haha. 

I think you get it right saying "at least for me" - not sure there is such a thing  as totally unbiased - maybe listening blindfolded you can get an opinion on only the sound... but what if the earpads are a little itchy and put the reviewer in a slightly bad mood, coloring the sound impressions
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 4, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #4,373 of 75,871

I found out this is not always the obvious way to go. For me some earbuds sound better with loose fit. The best example would be Lyra 6 - you push it too hard into your ear and it sounds dull, let it hang on its hook, barely inserted into your ear and it sounds sweet. Another example would be Cygnus - again, sounds better with just a little loose fit.

I agree. The good seal I'm suggesting with an earbud is that it gets locked in the right angle to the ear canal, rather than the seal of an IEM that I want to be firmly stuck into the ear canal omitting surrounding sound.
The problem I had with the Tomahawks (and somewhat the Tings as well) was that they wouldn't grip to anything inside the ear, constantly moving around, and almost never postioned in the right angle. The Monk plus expansion pack rubber rings on the Tomahawks helped me achieve that grip/seal.
The Monks hangs pretty loose in my ears, but they stay that way all along a listening session.

May 4, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #4,374 of 75,871
+1000 :sunglasses:

May 5, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #4,375 of 75,871
  Those new monk+ style foams don't affect the sound at all like the old style foams did. So just slap some of those suckers on, grab a decent amp, and wait for the realization you don't want to use any buds but the Zen to kick in :)

I am enjoying my Zen 2 more and more with Monk+ red Blue foams. These are awesome.
I was using Hiegi before, now i use Monk+ foams on all my highend earbuds.

May 5, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #4,376 of 75,871

I got tricked into buying the TG38s, one of my least favorite buds of all time.  Luckily I now have a decent collection, though all of them are budget to mid priced.  I do not own anything like the Zens.

See, I have bought about 50% of my Earbuds and 50% have been sent my way for review, all of them get rated the exact same way for me.

Speaking of, I have a plethora of earbuds I bought (not review samples) headed my way.  Really excited to try them out.  Some are budget and some are about mid grade.  I'll post up my thoughts as they roll in. 

Were you not a fan of the Mojito?

I shouldn't really be talking cause I sold my Mojitos but would have kept them if the fit worked better for me. I have yet to hear an earbud that matches it in detail and accuracy

May 5, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #4,377 of 75,871

I shouldn't really be talking cause I sold my Mojitos but would have kept them if the fit worked better for me. I have yet to hear an earbud that matches it in detail and accuracy

I'm glad there's no fit issue for me, using them with the Monk+ accessories foams and they disappear in my ears. I'm pretty sure I hear a slight increase in detail vs MX985, but I'll have to compare using Mojo soon.

May 5, 2016 at 3:12 AM Post #4,378 of 75,871

I'm glad there's no fit issue for me, using them with the Monk+ accessories foams and they disappear in my ears. I'm pretty sure I hear a slight increase in detail vs MX985, but I'll have to compare using Mojo soon.

Go MOJO :D

May 5, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #4,379 of 75,871
I'll say that Mojito + Mojo is an exceptional pairing.

May 5, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #4,380 of 75,871

Users who are viewing this thread

Back