Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 16, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #39,091 of 75,339
Are 400s and BS1 worth picking up?

Do you prefer 400s to BK? What about Masya?
I listened to my bs1 again. It's a very enjoyable listen. Beautiful midrange if you like a warm/bright tilt. Vocals and strings come through so well. Not for end to end extension, but everything in between is wonderfully detailed and sweet sounding.

I think a a tuning foam or shell change could pull a bit more sub bass out of these. My suspicion is that there's a thicker paper filter behind the driver which is reducing the bass in favour of a tighter sound. I may try open mine again just to check.

To400s is better than the second bk i had, but i had fond memories of my original brown SE cable bk... Either my memory is a little unreliable here or the tuning was changed slightly. Because I think the TO400s did what the new bk did without sounding stuffy in the low mids. It had slightly more soundstage. But i dont recommend either! I cannot recommend the to400s when it sounded so powerless in the bass . It was a bit dull on the low end but the rest was very good. Maybe the TO600 is a better bet?

Masya is very nice, if a little bass light too. But it wasn't a dull bass response, just a little reserved. Sweet forward vocals, smooth highs. Little bit peaky and dippy but in a mostly harmonic way. It never sounded incoherent, just hid some detail in those dips a little more than BS1 but ha

If you're lucky enough to own a source with 3-5ohm OI buy the masya and it's a different beast. Fuller sounding, bass was still not pounding but notably filled out. Absolutely wonderful with thin foams on that output impedance. Sounding like a pair of extremely smooth full size cans.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #39,092 of 75,339
@bobeau @kkl10 : Nowadays there are a few big companies making high-end earbuds e.g. Audio-Technica (Japan), UCOTECH (Korea). If you really care on R&D or specific patent technology they own. But You have to blind-buying by self. Some DIY brands also produce a custom-spec driver on their earbuds product. For Thai DIY brand, that is Miracle brand.

Jan 17, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #39,094 of 75,339
F8B9D852-D7C9-4198-A3E6-5540661B7BD3.png I have some earbuds made by Sony and Aiwa from 1990. They sound good comparing to today’s TOTL. Although they are 30 years old they are still running strong! I’m using them every week!

I also have many recent-made earbuds. But some of them are problematic!

Jan 17, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #39,095 of 75,339
@bobeau @kkl10 : Nowadays there are a few big companies making high-end earbuds e.g. Audio-Technica (Japan), UCOTECH (Korea)

Any links/info to particular models?

To400s is better than the second bk i had, but i had fond memories of my original brown SE cable bk... Either my memory is a little unreliable here or the tuning was changed slightly. Because I think the TO400s did what the new bk did without sounding stuffy in the low mids. It had slightly more soundstage. But i dont recommend either! I cannot recommend the to400s when it sounded so powerless in the bass . It was a bit dull on the low end but the rest was very good. Maybe the TO600 is a better bet?

I just got in my TO600s tonight, have had them burn in for about an hour while listening to them for another hour or so. My initial impression out of my Mojo is they remind me of ety er4s. Maybe slightly fuller? I'd love to have on hand to compare. But definitely in that realm, detailed and analytical w/ a bright tilt. The bass is certainly there and it is very taut - I was actually kinda amazed at how well they rendered Aphex Twin's latest EP, my CA Andromedas sounded somewhat bloated by comparison. Snare hits are super crisp and somewhat upfront. They're impressive, not sure if this the sig I'm going for though.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #39,096 of 75,339
Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #39,098 of 75,339
There are 2 versions of the snow lotus plus, one is cheaper and the other is commerative. Cable is nicer on the latter?
If you order on the classic 1.0/1.0+ link, you will result a message from Sammy Li to tell you 1.0+ is discontinued. You have to buy from THIS link (that Willber shared few pages back) to get a 1.0+
Beware, 30 pieces left only! :)

Jan 17, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #39,100 of 75,339
@bobeau : Here you go~.
Official Link : ATH-CM2000Ti and UCOTECH ES-P1
Shop Link : ATH-CM2000Ti and UCOTECH ES-P1

The ATH-cm2000ti uses truly high end materials for building the earbuds. Most other earbuds simply bites dust!

The only complaint is the earbuds provide two different connecting mmcx cables, one for single-end 3.5mm and the other balanced. That means I need to pay for a high end cable that I don’t need.

Jan 17, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #39,101 of 75,339
Earbuds never had a problem bossing it in the budget market. It's the mid-high end market that one needs to proceed with caution. Because they can no longer be just 'good for the price' they need to perform to a high level in most aspects. Some do, some don't. Many don't reach that level without considerable foam tweaks or modding IMO.

Earbuds occupied the highend, mid end,low end and very low end market back in 1990s. Sony gave it up when IEM can make much much more profit per pair!

Jan 17, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #39,102 of 75,339
The only complaint is the earbuds provide two different connecting mmcx cables, one for single-end 3.5mm and the other balanced. That means I need to pay for a high end cable that I don’t need.
Unfortunately it is not MMCX socket but it is A2DC socket which your choices of 3rd party upgraded cable are limited.

Jan 17, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #39,104 of 75,339
Unfortunately it is not MMCX socket but it is A2DC socket which your choices of 3rd party upgraded cable are limited.
I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it may be helpful here?

I discovered a new brand that I plan to buy next, quite cheap and good looking (imo) cables in aliexpress with a good price that you can order in any type of connector you want. 0.75, 0.78, MMCX, IM, A2DC, IE80. It also comes in SE or balanced, and its quite cheap (<20 USD). I dunno about the build quality though... I previously ordered a cheaper 2 pin and mmcx version SE though, so if it's piss poor when it arrives, I'll mention it. Link below:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32959...&terminal_id=973a085982b94268a31ab78d9c338168

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #39,105 of 75,339
Is Snow Lotus plus much more brighter than regular Snow Lotus? I just received my regular Snow Lotus yesterday and to me it seems to be quite well balanced and it's bright enough but I wouldn't want it to be any brighter.

For example, RY4S is too bright for me, unbearable to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back