Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 31, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #38,596 of 75,869
Just found out that Tidal has some sort of scam going on - the front page of their website was advertising a Special ($1.99 for 3 Months of HiFi), good through 1/2/2019. So I clicked on the link, and signed up. After entering my credit card info, I then had to select a Subscription, and the Special rate wasn't even listed as an option.

This is the last of my OT posts - although I am listening to Cuban Jazz from Tidal to my LG V30, on my Wong Kuan Wae modded Vido earbuds.
that sucks... Maybe fire them an email and see what happens. Meanwhile enjoy the Jazz!

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #38,597 of 75,869
Thing is the SWD2+ might be worth it for you at $199 simply because you want something very good in earbud form factor, my complaint was with its outlandish retail price, and those of recent releases in the $300-500 range.

I will take one thing back, the swd2+ is not a standard plastic driver come to think of it if I recall correctly... Seeing an image it appears to be some unique composite type matieral.

So that's a little different than most earbuds? But if you consider what $320 can buy you in the headphone or speaker world it's a hard sell. But as I'm not a big headphone guy I cannot really say how the TOTL buds I've heard will compare to the headphones you own.

But as I said before at $199 I would consider it (if I was looking for new earbuds). But I've decided to be happy with what I have currently and am modding some cheaper buds with decent success which im using atm.

Myself I still consider the Ks ling the earbud with the most potential that I own in terms of great effortless extension, consistent frequency response and slighty better transients compared to my other earbuds. But issues in its tuning without componsating with EQ will stop me from rec'ing it.

Interestingly enough most of its issues completey disappear if i angle the driver towards the ear canal. It seems to settle down the midrange resonance and the low mid body is fuller. I find the direct firing sound more natural too. I just need to find a way to keep it at that angle.

I guess what I'm saying is so far out of the high end earbuds I've heard none of them are flawless or even particularly neutral across the board. That's why its usually safer to choose budget earbuds and just mod or EQ them to your liking. As I'm doing with a bunch of RY4s, Vidos and EMX500s.
in fact, the driver in D2+ looks different ..
FB_IMG_1546313403455.jpg

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #38,598 of 75,869
Just found out that Tidal has some sort of scam going on - the front page of their website was advertising a Special ($1.99 for 3 Months of HiFi), good through 1/2/2019. So I clicked on the link, and signed up. After entering my credit card info, I then had to select a Subscription, and the Special rate wasn't even listed as an option.
I think it will do the right thing, just that the signup was a poorly designed interface. You have signed up for a subscription that will begin charging you $19.99/month in 3 months, unless you cancel. Can you check your credit card, and see if $1.99 was charged? I think you can cancel your subscription right now, and it will say that it is cancelled but your subscription will continue to be valid for another 3 months.

Here is something else to try, actually free (not $1.99) for 3 months:
https://slickdeals.net/f/11688915-3...ing-subscription-free-must-create-new-account (last comment said the deal still worked as of December 13)

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #38,599 of 75,869
I think it will do the right thing, just that the signup was a poorly designed interface. You have signed up for a subscription that will begin charging you $19.99/month in 3 months, unless you cancel. Can you check your credit card, and see if $1.99 was charged? I think you can cancel your subscription right now, and it will say that it is cancelled but your subscription will continue for another 3 months.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11688915-3...ing-subscription-free-must-create-new-account (also read the comments)

The only Hifi Subscription available to select, was 1 Month Free, and then they start charging $19.99 per Month on 31-JAN-19.

Dec 31, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #38,600 of 75,869
Dec 31, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #38,602 of 75,869
Okay then, you should contact them and complain: https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Just to verify, look at your account status and see if it says the same thing: https://my.tidal.com/us/account/subscription
Quote from the Tidal website -
Your subscription will automatically renew 1/31/19. You will be charged $19.99 from your Credit Card

Upgrading your subscription from Premium to HiFi will reduce the remaining days in your trial or billing cycle by 50%

TIDAL HiFi
Lossless sound quality. $19.99/month.

I did follow the link you provided, to submit a Trouble Ticket.

Jan 1, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #38,606 of 75,869
I think it will do the right thing, just that the signup was a poorly designed interface. You have signed up for a subscription that will begin charging you $19.99/month in 3 months, unless you cancel. Can you check your credit card, and see if $1.99 was charged? I think you can cancel your subscription right now, and it will say that it is cancelled but your subscription will continue to be valid for another 3 months.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11688915-3...ing-subscription-free-must-create-new-account (last comment said the deal still worked as of December 13)
It worked for me :)

Thanks

upload_2019-1-1_11-44-10.png

Jan 1, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #38,607 of 75,869
Also using VUNBUD, listening to Electro Swing nonstop for about a day now. Have a real Love/Hate with these(They seem very source dependant), but sound ridiculous thru Cayin N5 into Cayin C5 low gain. Very large 3D holographic sound stage and good quality bass that has some serious thump to it. Very Headphonish.

Using heigi donuts with VE donuts over them.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #38,608 of 75,869
I have a set of ShoonTH Explorer L and Imperial Audio Paradise on the way, as well as Docomo and JVC buds for fits and giggles. And also a set of Zen LL. Which I'm paying for, I know they're usually a gift included with VE ZOE buds but I think they could be worth a shot on their own.

Might be time to move on some pairs I don't get use out of!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back