Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 18, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #37,696 of 75,451
I know... it is easy to loose the flow in such a fast moving thead. It seems that the 1.0+ is still an option for some. @fairx said they are still available in his country at the local dealer! Maybe he should buy them all and sell them to fellow headfiers!
I edited my post while you were writing to explain why I don't have the 1.0+! In actual fact my eyes were drawn to the clear shells so I didn't read things properly. :rolling_eyes:

If someone wants to redistribute them on here, I'm in!

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #37,697 of 75,451
I edited my post while you were writing to explain why I don't have the 1.0+! In actual fact my eyes were drawn to the clear shells so I didn't read things properly. :rolling_eyes:

If someone wants to redistribute them on here, I'm in!

The Snow Lotus+ only comes in the silver or blue shells. Mine is the silver.

So, you pushed the wrong button because you liked the clear... there other nice choices for clear ones. Now I remember you saying you had gotten the 1.0 by mistake.

Meanwhile I am waiting for those Sony E808+that you like. The will need to be recabled though. No J cable for me! Ordered two pairs in case there is a soldering accident:) If everything is successful my husband and I will each have a pair if he wants one of them.

I have set aside a purple cable for mine...

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #37,698 of 75,451
Hey guys, I feel like jumping into the earbud pool again, so looking for a few recommendations on which ones to order off AliExpress. So far I'm considering these, which are your favourites, and if you've got any other recommendations, then please go ahead and pass them to me.

• **** DIY EMX500
  • RY4S
  • FAAEAL Snow Lotus 2.0
  • Qian39
  • Yincrow X6
  • **** DIY Vido
  • FAAEAL Snow Lotus 1.0
  • Qian25
  • FAAEAL Iris 2.0
  • RY04
  • RY4X
  • **** DIY EMX500 PK2
  • FAAEAL Iris 1.0
Whoa! Easy!

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #37,699 of 75,451
Meanwhile I am waiting for those Sony E808+that you like. The will need to be recabled though. No J cable for me! Ordered two pairs in case there is a soldering accident:) If everything is successful my husband and I will each have a pair if he wants one of them.

I have set aside a purple cable for mine...
I hope you like them, but remember - they DO need burning in, more than any others in my collection. I have bought three pairs and each one has changed over time. About 20-30 hours of normal listening was about right for me.

Nov 18, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #37,700 of 75,451
I hope you like them, but remember - they DO need burning in, more than any others in my collection. I have bought three pairs and each one has changed over time. About 20-30 hours of normal listening was about right for me.

Don't worry, I will like them. I trust your ears:) I burn in everything just in case. Personally I cannot say I have noticed a difference but that does not mean there wasn't one. I just don't specifically listen for that type of thing. I just get into the music.. unless something is actually horrible.

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #37,701 of 75,451
I know... it is easy to loose the flow in such a fast moving thead. It seems that the 1.0+ is still an option for some. @fairx said they are still available in his country at the local dealer! Maybe he should buy them all and sell them to fellow headfiers!
I'm expecting small windfall this week then I might order the 1.0+. And yes they came in silver and blue. Only 4 stock still available.

Sure I might be able to help procure it but I'm not sure about sending it overseas. The shipping might be more expensive than the bud itself.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #37,702 of 75,451
My Lotus 1.0 sounds fantastic. It's mid centric, but not lacking bass and treble in anyway. Vocal is very prominent in a spacious sound stage. I like donut foam on it. If treble clarity is important, the Qian69 is a great contender. Vocal won't be as forward as the Lotus 1.0 though.

Nov 18, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #37,703 of 75,451
I'm expecting small windfall this week then I might order the 1.0+. And yes they came in silver and blue. Only 4 stock still available.

Sure I might be able to help procure it but I'm not sure about sending it overseas. The shipping might be more expensive than the bud itself.

Yes, the shipping of my Willsound and my Blur from Asia was expensive... I cannot remember the exact amount but probably more than the cost of an inexpensive bud like the Snow Lotus.

Maybe you should get two for yourself:)

My Lotus 1.0 sounds fantastic. It's mid centric, but not lacking bass and treble in anyway

Tempted to try it just to see....

Nov 18, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #37,704 of 75,451
Good stuff! They are pretty darned good, especially with some juice. And if you end up liking them, something along the same vein that I like even more are the FENGRU DIY PK1 2.5mm 150ohm (aka Linsoul 150) buds - built specifically for your Walnut V3/F1 lol.

Actually, I don't know if you have the Walnut V3/F1, and I don't know why they say that. But I do know that you have the ES100, and the PK1 sound great off of it (balanced).

I do have a Walnut v2 (currently disassembled, planning to upgrade parts) and an F1 (currently top off and battery out, with Sparkos SS3602 installed - used mainly with FiiO Taishan D03K DAC, as my Balanced "home" amp).
There is one issue with the Monk Lite w/Android 3-Button Mic that I previously ordered - the Mic doesn't work. When playing music on my LG V30, the Play/Pause & Vol+/Vol- buttons work fine, but when used for a phone call - I can hear the other person, but all they hear from my phone is a very loud noise.
Since the Button/Mic housing became damaged when I opened it to check the circuit board for shorts/opens, I was thinking of re-cabling that set - but it seems like the fronts are very securely attached to the shells. Is there a lot of glue used in the assembly of the Monk Lites? Am I going to have to employ hot air to disassemble the earbuds - and how likely is it that they'll go back together?
Thanks for any insights!

Nov 18, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #37,705 of 75,451
X6 and vido are assumed to be the same driver. Cannot confirm that though.

I like the EMX500, RY4S UE and while I have not heard the snow lotus it seems like one to go for.

I find the X6 is a bit smoother while the Vido is punchier with more texture. Not a lot between them, though - I like them both.

The Snow Lotus 1.0 is NOT worth getting from my experience - woolly and muddy to my ears.

Whoa! Easy!

My Lotus 1.0 sounds fantastic. It's mid centric, but not lacking bass and treble in anyway. Vocal is very prominent in a spacious sound stage. I like donut foam on it. If treble clarity is important, the Qian69 is a great contender. Vocal won't be as forward as the Lotus 1.0 though.

Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated.

I actually only recently decided to use my Monk+ buds again, and after swapping the donut foams for full foams and using the "Headphone" EQ preset on the Shanling M0, I was genuinely surprised how much I actually liked the sound. It seems balanced, with just the right sparkle and low end presence. No, it's obviously not amazing bass and you can hear that it tends to rumble a bit out of control, but for a budget setup I'm really liking it. So this prompted me to try out a bunch of buds to see what I can use as an upgrade from the Monk+. Ideally something that I don't have to EQ.

Nov 18, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #37,706 of 75,451
Thanks for your input guys, much appreciated.

I actually only recently decided to use my Monk+ buds again, and after swapping the donut foams for full foams and using the "Headphone" EQ preset on the Shanling M0, I was genuinely surprised how much I actually liked the sound. It seems balanced, with just the right sparkle and low end presence. No, it's obviously not amazing bass and you can hear that it tends to rumble a bit out of control, but for a budget setup I'm really liking it. So this prompted me to try out a bunch of buds to see what I can use as an upgrade from the Monk+. Ideally something that I don't have to EQ.

Hi @TheoS53! Try the Shozy BK with your M0. With no EQ :) They're still my favorite earbuds, despite lots and lots of searching. They're a huge step-up from the Monks, IMHO.

BTW, here's a question to everybody else here other than @seanc6441. (Sean - don't take this personally, it's just that I know you parted with your BKs and we have different tastes!) For anybody else that's ever owned the Shozy BKs, what's an upgrade to these? And why? :wink:

Nov 18, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #37,708 of 75,451
Hi @TheoS53! Try the Shozy BK with your M0. With no EQ :) They're still my favorite earbuds, despite lots and lots of searching. They're a huge step-up from the Monks, IMHO.

BTW, here's a question to everybody else here other than @seanc6441. (Sean - don't take this personally, it's just that I know you parted with your BKs and we have different tastes!) For anybody else that's ever owned the Shozy BKs, what's an upgrade to these? And why? :wink:

Thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately that's way more than what I'm willing to pay for a set of buds (at least for now that is), especially considering that I'd be blind buying them.
A year or 2 ago there was a bit of a rage with the TY HI-Z HP150s, and so i bought into the hype but was left bitterly disappointed. They were so incredibly bright, not even close to something which can even remotely be considered to accurately represent the audio signal.

Nov 18, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #37,709 of 75,451
Thanks for your suggestion, but unfortunately that's way more than what I'm willing to pay for a set of buds (at least for now that is), especially considering that I'd be blind buying them.
A year or 2 ago there was a bit of a rage with the TY HI-Z HP150s, and so i bought into the hype but was left bitterly disappointed. They were so incredibly bright, not even close to something which can even remotely be considered to accurately represent the audio signal.

quick question, your HP150s was the first one (normal plug) or the MKII (fancier plug)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back