Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 16, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #37,651 of 75,525
i will report after 2-3 weeks, i care for the mids, treble and soundstage, if a want bass a will grab some in ear
You can get all of that and a proper bass response in other offerings thats my main gripe. Although I will say the TI7 has better mids than anything I heard under $100 if you like full detailed vocals and zero sibilance but as someone who likes more treble emphasis I found myself EQing up the treble (and bass) but their are not many dips or peaks even in the upper treble which is rare for earbuds.

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #37,652 of 75,525
I'd be surprised if they can squeeze any bass out if it unless it's a new driver. The shell isn't bass ported, has minimal venting and has a low seal fit.

I wouldn't hold my breath, it have to be a new driver to get reasonable bass, also the shell design seems ill suited for sub bass. No bass ports, not the best fit for seal either.
I think it is a new driver. They say it has an ultrathin membrane opposed to thin membrane. That's all I can go by, really. I don't know for sure.

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #37,653 of 75,525
I think it is a new driver. They say it has an ultrathin membrane opposed to thin membrane. That's all I can go by, really. I don't know for sure.
I'm really hesitant to trust any marketing talk about these new earbuds as I'm sure most of us are. Could be true, then again there's so much BS talk on aliexpress listings it's really hard to know lol

Nov 16, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #37,655 of 75,525
I'm really hesitant to trust any marketing talk about these new earbuds as I'm sure most of us are. Could be true, then again there's so much BS talk on aliexpress listings it's really hard to know lol
I'm going by Penon's website and I think that the references are from the manufacturer...I think.

Nov 16, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #37,656 of 75,525
Listening to Nirvana's MTV Unplugged In New York on my HE 150pro while reading this.

Heaven, people.

Those are very nice buds... one of my newer ones that I need to spend more time with. Got swept up in the hype on a few others...

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #37,657 of 75,525
Thanks! I’m still having dilemma in getting Mojo or ifi nano BL. May I know which one will you recommend?
I never listened to the nano. I have the IFI micro. I believe that Nano is great device and you can save some money to get a nice earbud or maybe a headphone. The most annoying thing about the mojo are the buttons that you never know the volume level in it. Both are great devices.

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #37,658 of 75,525
Sad news but... my RY4S followed the same die as my EMX500S :frowning2:
I was trying tor recable it but one driver didn't survived trying to open it, unfortunately.
Too bad because I finally found the solution to open EMX500 shells without any scratch (just need to be careful with the tool I'm using).

I also killed my GM500 (I think drivers still work well), but I checked an interesting thing: GM500 has double foams glued each other, so you have the foam placed as classic position of EMX500 shells, but you have another one in placed in the rear drivers also. I tried to remove foams placed from the rear drivers but there is still some and hard to remove completely for fine job. I stopped here, but maybe I will try one day to remove that properly to try how they sound without that.

But the good things are :
  1. my WIllsound MK2 perfectly recabled with 4 core silver plated 5N OCC Copper white cable, and I did not found any difference in term of sounding than with the stock black cable (excepted they looks good now).
  2. I also recabled my PK2 mod using the same cable but in blue (now they looks good too!).

I received my same drivers that were used from NiceHCK DIY PK2 (which is in my current PK2 mod), and I can see no difference in sound using the same cable, but the funny thing is that I tried to use the UE from RY4S on them and mids looks forwarded with same bass but with slightly less details and treble, so overall silver cable is the winner (I guess that RY4S UE cable is just using copper).
So in conclusion, if it's copper cable used on RY4S, then it should already tame the brightness well, so I dont advice to give a try with silver cable.

Still waiting for my EMX500 drivers from ali to give a try and finally see if it's sounding the same as EMX500S (from my memory then!).
RIP my little RY4S... really loved them much (even better than my EMX500S). I think I will order another pair.. but this time I will avoid any mod on them.
Oh, and don't count on me trying to open Blox YIN shells!! haha

Cheers' :)

MK2_mod.jpg

PK2_mod.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #37,660 of 75,525
For those who thought the EB2 were a bit light on bass... It was driving me crazy so I took them apart. The timing foams on mine completely blocked the ports. I think they would be fine but the adhesive strip seems to completely block the openings. I took them out and reinstalled then but did not create a complete deal. The result?... Bass is back!

Nov 16, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #37,661 of 75,525
For those who thought the EB2 were a bit light on bass... It was driving me crazy so I took them apart. The timing foams on mine completely blocked the ports. I think they would be fine but the adhesive strip seems to completely block the openings. I took them out and reinstalled then but did not create a complete deal. The result?... Bass is back!

Interesting... my bass was never missing...

Nov 16, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #37,663 of 75,525
Interesting... my bass was never missing...
Yes... I know you had commented about this before. I got to thinking that maybe my pair was defective. It's not that it didn't have bass... just very little bass presence. Not unlike the **** PT15s. I also modded the heck out of my PT15s to bring out the bass. It now has all the airy qualities that it did before, the mids are less forward/neutral, and the bass is more forward than before and neutral as well... the result is a much more balanced bud. Now that the EB2 is perhaps where it should be (need another pair to tell) it is like a 'cleaner' more detailed version of the Datura X? Datura X is warmer sounding but with excellent separation and soundstage/depth.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #37,664 of 75,525
Yes... I know you had commented about this before. I got to thinking that maybe my pair was defective. It's not that it didn't have bass... just very little bass presence. Not unlike the **** PT12s. I also modded the heck out of my PT12s to bring out the bass. It now has all the airy qualities that it did before, the mids are less forward/neutral, and the bass is more forward than before and neutral as well... the result is a much more balanced bud. Now that the EB2 is perhaps where it should be (need another pair to tell) it is like a 'cleaner' more detailed version of the Datura X? Datura X is warmer sounding but with excellent separation and soundstage/depth.

Did you mean PT15? is there a PT12 that I don't know about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back