Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 11, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #34,711 of 75,861
So what are the earbuds that are considered to be the best nowadays? Are MX 980/985 still relevant? I was reading about them and their sounds seems like something I would really like. I like sparkly, sharp treble and forward mids. Grado like sound.

I'm considering: PK1, OK1, VE Zen, Ve Asura

Sep 11, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #34,712 of 75,861
Yeah that's not a bad idea. While I wait on one of the Ali-express buds I'll give those Edifiers a try... H185 over H190?

I have both. The form factors are very different. If you wanted it for sleeping the H185 is a smaller fit. I personally find it a bit fiddly to fit though because there is not much to grab on to. Others might not have the same problem. I prefer the longer stem on the H190 because it gives me something to grab on to to wiggle it into place. They both sound good but I prefer the sound of the H190. To me it is a little more balanced across the frequencies. I am sure someone will come along with a different opinion:) It is impossible for me to know which you would prefer. Just get them both:) They look alot different and there are various colors. I do know that more people in here seem to have the H185. I never see anyone talk about the H190.

Can anyone else help here?

Sep 11, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #34,713 of 75,861
Wow what a thread!

my yuins and tingos are broke, i'm a bit rough on these.

any suggestions for a rugged earbud? with good build quality and cable. low impedance for smartphone/tablet. under $30 preferably

If you don't mind a neutral to bright signature, then I would suggest the **** PT15. Metal shell, built like a tank and has detachable MMCX cables, well within your budget.

Sep 11, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #34,714 of 75,861
i have a friend who constantly nag me to get the TM9. yesterday he bought it and showed them off, but doesn't give impressions nor let me borrow it (really mischievous) ...this thread isn't helping either :joy:

Why is he being so mean to you? That is horrible... lol.

Sep 11, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #34,715 of 75,861
So what are the earbuds that are considered to be the best nowadays? Are MX 980/985 still relevant? I was reading about them and their sounds seems like something I would really like. I like sparkly, sharp treble and forward mids. Grado like sound.

Rose Masya maybe for brighter forward mids, slightly warm tight bass, and sparkly treble.

Sep 11, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #34,716 of 75,861
Was listening to some Mingus on the BS1 earlier today and can confirm it's a very nice set for jazz. Just lovely.

The cable is heavy but it's not unmanageable for me (I've walked the dog with them in without any issues, for instance).
For me combined with the slightly odd fit of the shell its too much, but I agree Jazz sounds so good on them, lots of music does others than EDM (even that sounds good enough if you bass boost like im doing).

Sep 11, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #34,717 of 75,861

Liebesleid is the current best on that kind of sound. the cheaper version that is also my favorite is the Edifier H185.in the mid price there's Toneking Tomahawk (although the sound is too upfront that it hurts my ears, but some like them)

Why is he being so mean to you? That is horrible... lol.

sometimes closer friends are the ones that's a bit meaner than others :laughing:

Sep 12, 2018 at 12:14 AM Post #34,718 of 75,861
Sep 12, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #34,719 of 75,861
I can't get them to call me or receive a text message so i can buy this >_< so frustrated !!

you can try using a taobao agent to purchase, but maybe it'd be better to wait for stocks on ali (niceHCK primarily does business there, that taobao store is usually for his exclusive products only)

Sep 12, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #34,720 of 75,861
Seems to be the session for new earbuds as words are **** PT25 will be released very soon.

Sep 12, 2018 at 1:24 AM Post #34,721 of 75,861
If anyone has heard the full size Focal Elear, could you recommend an earbud that has a similar sound signature? I realize it's apples to oranges, but maybe something somewhat close.

Or something similar to the Denon D7000 which I find somewhat similar to the Elear. Those two are probably my favorites.

You could order a CAX Red Dragon and ask for it to be custom tuned to resemble the Elear, it will set you pack a minimum of 700$~. That is the closest you will get if price is no object. If you want the cheapest then I would not go lower than the TO400s. I do not own the Elear but I have auditioned them for a day and yeah, that is what I am looking to buy in an earbud. They just sound...right. So i will say what the TO400s has in common with it since I own it: clarity, looks, dynamics, punchy, lively, realism, accuracy. Now do not imagine it will be the same as the Elear in those categories but I think its the cheapest sq you should go for that has an ounce of resemblance to the Elear. Also there something earbuds will never match the Elear in, bass.

So if money is no object I would say the Red Dragon since it is the only TOTL bud that you custom order depending on your taste. ( that I know of )

Sep 12, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #34,722 of 75,861

Well, if you live in the US or Canada and hurry up (about 55 minutes left), you can buy Simphonio Dragon 2+ for $199.99 from Massdrop. They usually sell for $319 and are supposed to have that sort of sound signature.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/70341

Sep 12, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #34,725 of 75,861
Why is the TM9 a mx shell :frowning2: The Monk, some TY Hi-Z bud and others just don't really stay tightly in my ears with foams, so I assume the TM9 also doesn't....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back