Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 7, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #34,411 of 75,861
New one... https://penonaudio.com/shoonth-esep-01bl.html

An unknown other than Penon probably wouldn't decide to carry it if there wasn't something to it. One 5 star Amazon Japan review. Apparently there is another upgrade version, the BS.

Sep 7, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #34,412 of 75,861
The more I listen to TM9, the more I'm addicted!

They now have something like 180+ hours of proper burning and they now impress me a lot. Now everything is better, bass is now tight and has a lot of impact, with smooth and nicely extended highs, with good amount of details. For sure, the best Blox release ever!

TM9 really needs a lot of burning to sound their best (I recommend at least 150 hours).
I feel like TM9 has a kind of warm signature, that is why is sounds easily good on every genres.

While TM9 plays in a champions league, I still believe that EBX is the best for details retrieving. On EBX, I completely rediscovered all my best tracks (which was not the case on TM9).
So all depends of what you are looking for, both are very complementary themselves.
I think theylltstill improve with more and more burn in^_^

Sep 7, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #34,413 of 75,861
New one... https://penonaudio.com/shoonth-esep-01bl.html

An unknown other than Penon probably wouldn't decide to carry it if there wasn't something to it. One 5 star Amazon Japan review. Apparently there is another upgrade version, the BS.

I have one of their earlier flagship model, the ESEP-01B (*was Extraordinary Sound ESP-01B) The BL model is supposed to be the low impedance model. The maker of this earbuds is quite a well-known cable maker in China. The ESP-01B that I have however has such a thick and stiff cable that it is almost completely useless once you move around, and SQ isn't that impressive to compensate for such an obvious flaw.

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #34,414 of 75,861
Possible to provide a mini review of the DIY PK2 SR2 16ohm? A link to the product will be good too! :D
Actually you can use "Search this thread" feature. @jogawag did many posts about this earbuds. The first one is here.

My earbuds doesn't pass burn-in period yet, so its sound may not settle in. Its SQ worths for its price. its soundstage is moderate size for this price range. Is it really comparable to SWD2+? My answer is "No" and very far from that. Its tonality tends to warm side with quite thick vocal image. It has a nice punch bass which seldom finds this bass quantity level from PK housing earbuds.Its cable has noticably microphonics. Sorry if my mini review let you down from hype train. Perhaps I have a chance to often try many high-price and high-end stuff. It is very difficult to me to praise on something. Though I think its driver has high potential enough. Its SQ would go further if one modifies by re-cable, re-soldering, re-plug.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #34,415 of 75,861
@chaiyuta

Gonna put mine in the metal 14.8mm shells i bought and recable with silver plated OCC or OCC and use Gold or Rhodium plated plugs. See if that changes the signature. I bought two so i can compare stock to modded.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #34,416 of 75,861
The Simphonio Dragon 2+ is back on MassDrop.
@all those who bought it on past drops: What was declared on the package? The full price or 19$ or similar (like chinese packages do)?

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #34,417 of 75,861
Actually you can use "Search this thread" feature. @jogawag did many posts about this earbuds. The first one is here.

My earbuds doesn't pass burn-in period yet, so its sound may not settle in. Its SQ worths for its price. its soundstage is moderate size for this price range. Is it really comparable to SWD2+? My answer is "No" and very far from that. Its tonality tends to warm side with quite thick vocal image. It has a nice punch bass which seldom finds this bass quantity level from PK housing earbuds.Its cable has noticably microphonics. Sorry if my mini review let you down from hype train. Perhaps I have a chance to often try many high-price and high-end stuff. It is very difficult to me to praise on something. Though I think its driver has high potential enough. Its SQ would go further if one modifies by re-cable, re-soldering, re-plug.
what about treble?
i will be getting mine soon hehe
my ears just cannot stand anything larger than pk shells so this is one of my last chances to find something with decent bass quantity

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #34,418 of 75,861
the PK16 can go deeeeep! :o2smile:. the PK32 seems more bassy because it has more midbass, but on extension it is a bit deeper. i also like the clean and dark background feel to it, like listening to an IEM.

the MK300 on the other hand is "soupy": clear enough but have an analog warmth to them, not to extended to lows and highs like the other Willsounds. great for intimate vocal music
I'd agree with this. I am a big fan of linear bass extension. I would really like any music making device to have the same amount of mid bass and sub bass. That's asking a lot out of the economical Willsounds, and I don't think Mk300 offers this (but people will like their intimate nature as you comment). The pk16 is pretty good in this regard. My test track for subbass is usually The Dark Night track Why So Serious?. PK16 definitely has a better subbass presence.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #34,420 of 75,861
well, i ssent willy the money for the pk16. that will put me at 6 buds total. will do another earbud schmackdown with these once i have them all and have burned them in:
willsound pk16
mx760 graphenes (black with metal grill as per recommended by another user)
yincrow rw-777
datura-x
diy pk2 16ohm
ve monk+

Interesting/fun mix! Looking forward to the "smackdown" lol

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #34,422 of 75,861
After some resurgence of pk2 SR2 I tried checking them out on AE. Is it me or the price has increased recently?

Sep 7, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #34,425 of 75,861

Not at all! I appreciate your honest feedback on them... and now I can finally save some money too... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back