Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 31, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #34,171 of 75,235
Some new Blox TM9 impressions after approx 70 hours of proper burning :

Really enjoying the sound which has opened up and begins to be really interesting. Details are now there, bass is more controlled. Soundstage also gained some depth.

I think TM9 will be my best on the go pair as I really like the sound. Bass for me is important, and it's like TM9 has been designed to be worn without any foam at all. Without foam, sound is linear without any prominent frequency, nicely balanced. I now understand why Woo joined the same extreme thin (red) foams from VE (as the only pair of foams included in the box).

Really love TM9 sound, so well tuned. They can be used for many hours without any headache, as the sound is not as energetic as EBX (which are truly analytic to me). TM9 is a mix of analog and analytic, impressive.

On TM9 it’s like the person is singing just in front of you, while on EBX it’s less intimate and dispersed. EBX has still the biggest soundstage of both. If you’re looking for something realist, more transparent and natural, then TM9 will be your best friend.

I don’t feel any bump in upper mids, unlike EBX. TM9 is more linear in the whole frequency, while keeping good amount of details and, not fatiguing highs and mids, but impactful and nicely controlled bass and subbass. A true magical earbud that (of course) rivals easily with other TOTL earbuds.

But EBX didn’t tell it’s last word, I really like them both, and will keep them both, as they are complementary each others. They are just completely different.

See you soon for other more impressions! :)

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #34,173 of 75,235

Really enjoying the sound which has opened up and begins to be really interesting. Details are now there, bass is more controlled. Soundstage also gained some depth.

I think TM9 will be my best on the go pair as I really like the sound. Bass for me is important, and it's like TM9 has been designed to be worn without any foam at all. Without foam, sound is linear without any prominent frequency, nicely balanced. I now understand why Woo joined the same extreme thin (red) foams from VE (as the only pair of foams included in the box).

Really love TM9 sound, so well tuned. They can be used for many hours without any headache, as the sound is not as energetic as EBX (which are truly analytic to me). TM9 is a mix of analog and analytic, impressive.

On TM9 it’s like the person is singing just in front of you, while on EBX it’s less intimate and dispersed. EBX has still the biggest soundstage of both. If you’re looking for something realist, more transparent and natural, then TM9 will be your best friend.

I don’t feel any bump in upper mids, unlike EBX. TM9 is more linear in the whole frequency, while keeping good amount of details and, not fatiguing highs and mids, but impactful and nicely controlled bass and subbass. A true magical earbud that (of course) rivals easily with other TOTL earbuds.

But EBX didn’t tell it’s last word, I really like them both, and will keep them both, as they are complementary each others. They are just completely different.

why do after reading your impressions i want the EBX all of a sudden? :sweat_smile:

Aug 31, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #34,174 of 75,235
Faaeal Datura X is...a winner! Very full sounding with a nice upfront vocal, with great timbre. Has a nice weighty bass that you can feel (love buds that you can feel pulse). Great fit with a nice hang feel. Generally warm sounding but clear, not muddy at all. Sounds like a more solid DIY MX500. I like this one better.

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #34,175 of 75,235

Should try the black ling for bass, it's still on sale atm :p

Been listening to the tm9 it's really sweet sounding! And the cable is amazing, everything is so light and comfortable.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #34,176 of 75,235
Doesn't gain=power(Voltage)?

So assuming you don't change the earbud, amp-dac or source files/player used, wouldn't more gain just mean more volume?

Unless the amp is doing something internally to change the sound once you flip the switch so to speak? Like a different pathing in the circuitry etc etc.
Ouch, power does not equal voltage. These graphics are how I remember the relationships ("PIE", if you use the "E" for voltage):
FormulaPower01.gif

upload_2018-8-31_22-15-38.png

Increasing gain will increase the volume, but by increasing gain you are boosting everything, so the noise (or background) will also be increased, though circuit designs can compensate for this.

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #34,178 of 75,235
Got my first Blur in today, half/half 150ohm. 2 strands pure silver, 2 strands pure copper w/ handmade leather pouch from Mr. Wong’s wife.

Wonder how its wired? If 2 is to ground then 1 left 1 right? Does that mean one side is silver one copper or is it different wiring i wonder :D

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #34,179 of 75,235
Ouch, power does not equal voltage. These graphics are how I remember the relationships ("PIE", if you use the "E" for voltage):
FormulaPower01.gif

Increasing gain will increase the volume, but by increasing gain you are boosting everything, so the noise (or background) will also be increased, though circuit designs can compensate for this.
My bad yes i did read it could increase the noise too, but many also claim a difference in sound (albeit volume matching is a concern) so im wondering if something else is at play here or do people just like the sound of hissing in the background :)

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #34,180 of 75,235
Wonder how its wired? If 2 is to ground then 1 left 1 right? Does that mean one side is silver one copper or is it different wiring i wonder :D
There’s one silver and one copper to each side but not sure which is ground and which for the signal.

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #34,181 of 75,235
My bad yes i did read it could increase the noise too, but many also claim a difference in sound (albeit volume matching is a concern) so im wondering if something else is at play here or do people just like the sound of hissing in the background :)
Adjusting gain in amp is common. DAPs usually have setting, high and low. In a lot of amps, gain is variable with a dial inside the amp. Gain increases or decreases voltage flow which can make an amp sound warmer and more upfront or colder which is more even keeled and distant (for lack of better words). In most cases for audio, you’d want to push your amps just below the point of distortion to achieve the most open and clear sound. So switching around the gain not only affects how loud an amp can go, but it’s sound characteristics too. A DAP like the cheap Zishan ones are cool because you can switch around the opamps to get a different sound and they are set at almost the distortion point. Makes buds sound open and alive.

Sep 1, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #34,182 of 75,235
Wong Kuan Wae's Blur hALF/hALF 32ohm

Tasty Bass While Keeping Much of the Detail.

P1100146.jpg

--

Just found your post while researching the TM9.

Are you saying the Blur hALF/hALF 32ohm is a good movie headphone? I literally use Star Wars battle scenes as a reference to test my headphones as I use them for movies/tv a lot. More than music. I'm currently looking for a earbud to take the place of my X00 Ebony.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #34,183 of 75,235
Have ordered Blox TM9. Moondrop Liebsleid might be on their way out. Amazing clarity and detail but a bit to clinically analytical for my tastes

I'll probably have to wait 2+ weeks for my TM9 AFTER they have reached Swedish customs...

Eagerly waiting for you to get your TM9s!

Just read every post in this thread about them, and you have a lot of the buds I'm considering for my first (and hopefully last) TOTL earbud. :)

My culling process so far:
-Shozy BK eliminated due to lack of soundstage (by contrast)
-Moondroop Liebesleid eliminated due to treble, weight, analytical sound, artificial highs
-Symphonia Dragon 2+ eliminated due to complicated connector, and mid oriented sound signature, lack of bass
-Cypherus Zoomfred eliminated due to heavy? complicated cable

Too bad about the Zoomfred's cable, because both Herry and Danneq recommend it for my bass and sub bass desires. The cable really turns me off though, I really like simple. It looks like it can get annoying.

Trying not to convince myself to buy the Red Dragon. It sounds so cool though... "Red Dragon". Hmmm. More than double the cost of the TM9, but then again, saying it aloud, "Red Dragon"...

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #34,184 of 75,235

unless it has a really bad connectors or bad grounding (which i reckon not a problem if we use battery operated devices like phones and DAPs) i don't think i have heard hissing with gains on DAPs. but your milage might vary to mine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back