Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 1, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #33,361 of 75,267
What are those PMV Be earbuds? Are those new? How do they sound?

Yes, it is quite new. It is meant to be an entry level earbud for PMV, costing just around $7 or so on Taobao, but surprisingly good sounding. It has a kind of a non offensive 'jack of all trade' sound signature that goes well with most music genre, neither particularly analytical nor veil, bass heavy nor bass lacking. It is just a good all arounder and well worth the asking price.

Aug 1, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #33,362 of 75,267
If at home Fostex HPA4BL. On the road iBasso DX200, Lotoo Paw 5000 mk2, either on their own or via ifi DSD black label
I guess they are powerful enough to drive those earbuds :)

Aug 2, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #33,363 of 75,267
Talking about down with luck...

Had to ship back my Astrotec Lyra Collection today for a buzzing driver which I couldn't fix myself, and also a minor manufacturing defect/dent on one of the driver shell...

It seems like I can never get anything perfect out of the box...

:triportsad:

Aug 2, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #33,364 of 75,267
Talking about down with luck...

Had to ship back my Astrotec Lyra Collection today for a buzzing driver which I couldn't fix myself, and also a minor manufacturing defect/dent on one of the driver shell...

It seems like I can never get anything perfect out of the box...

:triportsad:
Looks like the serie continue.. :/ hope you will sort this out

I finally reached a good solution yesterday with Jim (about my EBX), and we agreed that he send to me 2 new drivers (both L and R) as it is not recommended to change only 1 driver (as sound will not be the same).
Not sure to receive them in a week, otherwise they will wait me once I come back from my holidays :)

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #33,365 of 75,267
Looks like the serie continue.. :/ hope you will sort this out

I finally reached a good solution yesterday with Jim (about my EBX), and we agreed that he send to me 2 new drivers (both L and R) as it is not recommended to change only 1 driver (as sound will not be the same).
Not sure to receive them in a week, otherwise they will wait me once I come back from my holidays :)

I hope it all works out well for you this time!

It's such a pain to have to deal with such QC issues... or the therefore lack of in the Chinese earbuds market...

But I trust that Penon Audio will thoroughly inspect and verify the issues at hand. Hopefully they'll just replace the whole unit for me, as I expect no less from a pair of US$299 earbuds.

In my books, either the right buzzing driver or the chipped/dented "copper bead maze-filter" on the left outer shell, should already warrant a 1 to 1 exchange for a brand piece.

One can only hope...

Aug 2, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #33,366 of 75,267
Do you know what drivers they use? Hows the SQ?

Love it regardless, but would be cool if they sounded the part too :)
Just had a reply from Ryo, apparently he uses 24, 32 and 64 ohm drivers and mine are 32’s :) Still burning them but I’m sneaking a quick listen here and there! :wink:

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #33,367 of 75,267
Hey guys, I’m looking for an earbud that has pancake flat tuning and neutral and natural tonality. Very average/middle-of-the-road soundstage and clarity would be best.

Very boring and the opposite of fun lol.

Basically I’m only going to be using it to “reset my brain” before evaluating gear, ie to use as a baseline profile. Similar to drinking water between wine or bourbon samples to reset the taste palette.

Make sense?

My budget is say $5-$30. But I may be persuaded to go as high as $40.

I will be driving it from an iPhone as well as xduoo X3. So nothing super high impedance (ie <64ohm).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #33,368 of 75,267
Hey guys, I’m looking for an earbud that has pancake flat tuning and neutral and natural tonality. Very average/middle-of-the-road soundstage and clarity would be best.

Very boring and the opposite of fun lol.

Basically I’m only going to be using it to “reset my brain” before evaluating gear, ie to use as a baseline profile. Similar to drinking water between wine or bourbon samples to reset the taste palette.

Make sense?

My budget is say $5-$30. But I may be persuaded to go as high as $40.

I will be driving it from an iPhone as well as xduoo X3. So nothing super high impedance (ie <64ohm).

Thanks!
I think you would like the Moondrop Nameless. Its’ tuning Is Neutral but has great tonality. And, it’s right in your price range.

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #33,369 of 75,267
I think you would like the Moondrop Nameless. Its’ tuning Is Neutral but has great tonality. And, it’s right in your price range.

I’ll check that out.

What about the Snow Lotus (1.0 or 2.0)?

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #33,370 of 75,267
I’ll check that out.

What about the Snow Lotus (1.0 or 2.0)?
Snow Lotus 2.0 is good too. The sound is more upfront and has bigger bass, but the treble is a bit shy. I would choose the Nameless for what you described more.
But, there’s always a next time if you’re going down that road many of us have travelled...

Aug 3, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #33,371 of 75,267
I think I uncovered something shady today. I reached out to Astrotec and they claimed my seller of their Lyra Collection is apparently not one of their authorised dealer.

Anyone happen to be in the same shoes as me before? Bought something from somewhere reputable to find that they're not the official dealer, so the product company refuses to discuss any further?

It was my good intention that I approached Astrotec to notify them about their shortfall in QC, but all it seems to matter to them is who's covering the warranty. They even care to ask what were the issues I was facing with their product.

Should I perhaps probe the seller about their warranty and exchange policies?

Aug 3, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #33,372 of 75,267
I recommend the PMV B01 Aeode. Very neutral, uncolored sound. I listen primarily to classical music, where neutrality is important for faithful reproduction of unamplified acoustic instruments. I actually find the PMV to portray the sound of a live classical performance better than some TOTL earbuds such as Rose Mojito, which has a hyper detailed (but unnatural) sound to appeal to audiophiles.

Aug 3, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #33,373 of 75,267
You can do the buy and try thing and if you don't want it hit 'refund' in the playstore within the time limit.

I wish it was a parametric EQ but as is it's the best EQ that actually works with spotify. Here's a screenshot to give you an idea what you are getting

As you can see I have the 'deep bass' featured enabled for the TI7 as I suspect it's the apps method of applying EQ below 32hz, it seems effective and not destroying the SQ at all like some of these special effects add ons do.

What app is this Sir?

Aug 3, 2018 at 4:48 AM Post #33,374 of 75,267
I recommend the PMV B01 Aeode. Very neutral, uncolored sound. I listen primarily to classical music, where neutrality is important for faithful reproduction of unamplified acoustic instruments. I actually find the PMV to portray the sound of a live classical performance better than some TOTL earbuds such as Rose Mojito, which has a hyper detailed (but unnatural) sound to appeal to audiophiles.

Now you have made me want to get out my PMV today. Great bud.

Aug 3, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #33,375 of 75,267
I think I uncovered something shady today. I reached out to Astrotec and they claimed my seller of their Lyra Collection is apparently not one of their authorised dealer.

Anyone happen to be in the same shoes as me before? Bought something from somewhere reputable to find that they're not the official dealer, so the product company refuses to discuss any further?

It was my good intention that I approached Astrotec to notify them about their shortfall in QC, but all it seems to matter to them is who's covering the warranty. They even care to ask what were the issues I was facing with their product.

Should I perhaps probe the seller about their warranty and exchange policies?

OMG!

So Penon Audio is not an authorised reseller of Astrotec!

A lot of us buying different brands from PA! How many more of these products are not authorised products?

It’s very scary! If the products are not authorised, there are a few channels for PA to get the product for resale...one of them is buying second quality or products that is rejected from QC, which were supposed to be destroyed! Of course, PA might be having collusion with a factory that produces it! ( according to Trump collusion is not crime). But my worries is the replacement is still a second in some sense!

So if any replacement is still not good enough, I would try to opt for a refund and use the money to buy direct!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back