Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 13, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #30,181 of 75,671
It certainly appears to be an open vent, and the bass at first made me think I had my EQ up. Svara L can most likely push harder, but it’s close.
How’s the treble? is it rolled off or nicely extended.

Apr 13, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #30,183 of 75,671
I have a horrible ear for treble with zero sensitivity. I’ll test more tomorrow as I work early and wanted to watch the Lost in Space pilot. I know I suck.
You’re okay! Go enjoy it :p

This thread isn’t going anywhere we can wait until tomorrow ^^

Apr 13, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #30,184 of 75,671
Can't tell because I did not spend much time "before", but I believe it opened up bass, and mids section especially.

Btw, my EMX500S pair came with red full foams pre-installed, but the included set of foams is all black, you too?
I just installed black ones to see, sound looks to be the same, they are just the same density (which is cool). Personally they looks (physically) better with black foams.

yeah i got the same exact thing as yours...but i am using the black foams form aliexpress which i bought 100 pcs for a dollar .. they resemble the monk thin foams but thicker in material..

i believe like the emx500 it needs burn in .. i noticed a significant difference with the emx500 after some usage for a few months

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #30,185 of 75,671
I really should pick up the 32ohm Svara for comparison as I love the original.
You're welcome! Glad you like it. To be honest now you make me itching on purchasing the 32ohm version too :jecklinsmile:

@DBaldock9 too! It would be great to get some comparisons, that's for sure.

Anyway, it's been a long hard road in finding any buds that compete (for me) with the old graphenes, but these suckers are awesome and seem to be doing it for me :)

@waynes world so glad you like them

Thanks. Hopefully they don't end up being gateway-drug-buds, leading me to ever more expensive TOTL buds (who am I kidding - they will!).

Apr 13, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #30,186 of 75,671
How’s the treble? is it rolled off or nicely extended.

@seanc6441, how do you personally test "rolled off versus nicely extended"? I'd like to find out if I can even tell the difference (which I doubt, because I'm 110 years old lol).

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #30,187 of 75,671
Check out reviews and thoughts about the TY hi-z 650 HP on this thread. Needs a powerful source though.

I've got the TY Hi-Z HP650 (2.5mm TRRS), and have found that it's got good Bass, and a bit of a recessed Midrange & Treble.
The Svara-L (115Ω) has a similar sound signature. It has MMCX connectors, and I usually have them on a 2.5mm TRRS -> MMCX cable.

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #30,188 of 75,671
@seanc6441, how do you personally test "rolled off versus nicely extended"? I'd like to find out if I can even tell the difference (which I doubt, because I'm 110 years old lol).

the best clue for me is the cymbals. try listening to some clean jazz music, if the the cymbals sounds shimmery enough for me, then it's nicely extended..but if you feel it's missing something up the top and left you wanting more, it's rolled off for me

I've got the TY Hi-Z HP650 (2.5mm TRRS), and have found that it's got good Bass, and a bit of a recessed Midrange & Treble.
The Svara-L (115Ω) has a similar sound signature. It has MMCX connectors, and I usually have them on a 2.5mm TRRS -> MMCX cable.

agree on this they do sound similar. i still favor the Svara even when the 650 is amped (personal preference)

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #30,189 of 75,671
Well you are doing something right to be alive that long ;P

I’m 23 and can hear up to around 16.5khz (As far as I can remember doing the frequency test).

Well I usually listen for cymbals crashes etc in songs I know well, after hearing them on a headphone/earbud I know has extended treble I compare to the earbud in question. Lately I’m comparing to my HD540 which I know has a well extended treble. If you hear the cymbal crash but it doesn’t linger or sparkle then the treble isn’t up to the par for me :)

Of course some buds have an emphasis in treble but a quicker roll off whilst others have more neutral treble with a slower roll off. It’s difficult enough to tell the difference in any random song but the tracks you know by heart makes it a little easier. Anything similar to my test gear is well extended to my ears.

To be honest I’m testing by ear so I don’t mind if it’s not perfectly neutral or extended beyond 17khz because I cannot hear that far.

It’s just some earbuds roll of dramatically and lose that sparkle at the top end which I really like. For me the ‘painful’ piercing treble is actually the lower or mid treble region being overly emphasised. I don’t mind a small peak at 10-16khz as it usually comes off as sparkly rather than harsh.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #30,190 of 75,671
@chinmie exactly! It’s the cymbals in Jazz etc that give the best indication. If the cymbals are painful I know the treble has a peak somewhere that’s too harsh, if it’s light and sparkly or as you say it shimmers, it’s perfect!

It has to be music you know though, something you’ve heard on many different gear so you know when it sounds ‘right’ or not.

For me personally I’m more sensitive to lower treble/upper mid peaks than upper treble. So I don’t like overaly ‘bright’ sounding gear but I love treble extension and an ‘airy’ sound.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #30,191 of 75,671
the best clue for me is the cymbals. try listening to some clean jazz music, if the the cymbals sounds shimmery enough for me, then it's nicely extended..but if you feel it's missing something up the top and left you wanting more, it's rolled off for me

~~~
DBaldock9 said:

~~~

agree on this they do sound similar. i still favor the Svara even when the 650 is amped (personal preference)

The Svara-L does seem to have a bit more clarity in the Mid-Bass and Midrange.
Plus they look cool, being in a custom housing, rather than a common MX500 shell.

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #30,192 of 75,671
@chinmie exactly! It’s the cymbals in Jazz etc that give the best indication. If the cymbals are painful I know the treble has a peak somewhere that’s too harsh, if it’s light and sparkly or as you say it shimmers, it’s perfect!

It has to be music you know though, something you’ve heard on many different gear so you know when it sounds ‘right’ or not.

For me personally I’m more sensitive to lower treble/upper mid peaks than upper treble. So I don’t like overaly ‘bright’ sounding gear but I love treble extension and an ‘airy’ sound.

i also like Radiohead 's Pablo Honey and The Bends album for cymbal check, Incubus' s Switchblade song for sibilance check, and Korn's Insane song for overall/general frequency test

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #30,193 of 75,671
Apr 13, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #30,194 of 75,671
i also like Radiohead 's Pablo Honey and The Bends album for cymbal check, Incubus' s Switchblade song for sibilance check, and Korn's Insane song for overall/general frequency test
I have many test tracks but I’m too lazy to list them tonight, maybe tomorrow :D

Right off to bed, maybe some relaxing tunes beforehand.

Apr 14, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #30,195 of 75,671
Ok, will test with the bends after work. I’m 39 and the last test was around 16.5k for treble, but I’ve never heard anything in treble that causes discomfort so I must be lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back