Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 27, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #29,401 of 75,339
@mochill I am not that rich so I have to think more than twice before I buy any more audio gears but appreciate the encouragement. :)
Master ClieOS, I know you are withholding to finally release your Liebesleid/Poseidon/Lings review or ranking in public (or have I missed it? hope not), but based on your preference, where will you place the BK Blue or Balanced Original BK in your overall ranking (so far) against the formerly mentioned earbuds? A "number" will do a lot for me and what is your current #1? I have a really great offer so your inputs would really help me decide. Thank you.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #29,402 of 75,339
@jrazmar : If you are going to get Shozy BK Blue 3.5mm., I would like to recommend that if you can get any buds with balanced configuration, please grab that with the following reasons.

1) Using an adapter, balanced can covert to single-end whereas single-end can't convert to balanced. You have more choice to choose what kind of headphone out you more prefer.
2) Each DAP model/brand has their own house sound tonality, sound tendancy, soun signature, whatever you can call. The person who love on a certain brand (e.g. AK, SONY, FiiO, iBasso, Hiby, etc), he will always stick on that brand rather than the opposite house sound one. Therefore Mr. CileOS opinion was just his favourable opinion, it doesn't mean you will as favour as him unless you exactly share identical sound preference.
3) This is your blind-buying. The more versatile you get The more possible you will be not disappointed.

Just my 2 cents..( or lesss than one)

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #29,403 of 75,339
@jrazmar : Even though Mr. ClieOS recommended you BK Blue 3.5mm. I still insist that if you can get any buds with balanced configuration, please grab that with the following reasons.

1) Using an adapter, balanced can covert to single-end whereas single-end can't convert to balanced. You have more choice to choose what kind of headphone out you more prefer.
2) Each DAP model/brand has their own house sound tonality, sound tendancy, soun signature, whatever you can call. The person who love on a certain brand (e.g. AK, SONY, FiiO, iBasso, Hiby, etc), he will always stick on that brand rather than the opposite house sound one. Therefore Mr. CileOS opinion was just his favourable opinion, it doesn't mean you will as favour as him unless you exactly share identical sound preference.
3) This is your blind-buying. The more versatile you get The more possible you will be not disappointed.

If u use a balance earbud with an adaptor to 3.5mm, will you still get the benefits of "being balanced"?

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:21 AM Post #29,404 of 75,339
Just curious, did you also use the white ling with modern music (pop, rock, etc)?

When the fit is right, I find White Ling almost has a mid-centric quality to it and so goes quite well with the mainstream music. So yes, I do listen to White Ling with pop and rock, which I think is part of its strength.

@mochill I am not that rich so I have to think more than twice before I buy any more audio gears but appreciate the encouragement. :)
Master ClieOS, I know you are withholding to finally release your Liebesleid/Poseidon/Lings review or ranking in public (or have I missed it? hope not), but based on your preference, where will you place the BK Blue or Balanced Original BK in your overall ranking (so far) against the formerly mentioned earbuds? A "number" will do a lot for me and what is your current #1? I have a really great offer so your inputs would really help me decide. Thank you.

I really don't do ranking anymore, at least not in the form of a list but only in general categorization. Also not doing any big review or comparison anymore, as I simply don't have the time to do them properly. As far as my opinion goes, I'll say I'll place balanced BK and BK blue in the middle of the top tier (Champion), along with Black Ling, Where Liebesleid and Poseidon belong to the top of the top tier, and I think Simphonio Dragon 2+ probably join them as well.

@jrazmar : Even though Mr. ClieOS recommended you BK Blue 3.5mm. I still insist that if you can get any buds with balanced configuration, please grab that with the following reasons.

A balanced option will be my recommendation as well. You can always use an adapter to convert it to single-ended (which is what I did), but not the other way around. That alone gives you the versatility to try on different configuration for your liking.

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #29,405 of 75,339
If u use a balance earbud with an adaptor to 3.5mm, will you still get the benefits of "being balanced"?

Being balanced means being driven by a balanced source, using an adapter to convert balanced headphone to single-ended will be almost no different from using a normal, single-ended headphone to begin with.

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #29,406 of 75,339
When the fit is right, I find White Ling almost has a mid-centric quality to it and so goes quite well with the mainstream music. So yes, I do listen to White Ling with pop and rock, which I think is part of its strength.

I really don't do ranking anymore, at least not in the form of a list but only in general categorization. Also not doing any big review or comparison anymore, as I simply don't have the time to do them properly. As far as my opinion goes, I'll say I'll place balanced BK and BK blue in the middle of the top tier (Champion), along with Black Ling, Where Liebesleid and Poseidon belong to the top of the top tier, and I think Simphonio Dragon 2+ probably join them as well.

A balanced option will be my recommendation as well. You can always use an adapter to convert it to single-ended (which is what I did), but not the other way around. That alone gives you the versatility to try on different configuration for your liking.

Thanks, i think i didn't give the white long enough justice because i immediately dissed them after 10 minutes fiddling with them and can't get them to my liking. Maybe next time I'll try your advice to really hear their full potential

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #29,407 of 75,339
Hi Mr.FlyingRhino
The answer is 'no'. you will get the sound quality almost as same as single end plug. The reason I said 'almost' cause an adapter affects on SQ, distortion. Some are not much and might be unnoticeable, while some are noticable.

according to mr.ClieOS impression, he shared that he prefer bk blue sound from 3.5 single end rather than 2.5 balanced out from his DAP.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #29,408 of 75,339
@ClieOS @chaiyuta Thanks guys for your valuable inputs. Actually I have an offer for Liebesleid that is cheaper than getting the BK Blue SE. Based on what I gathered so far, I think it is a general consensus that the Liebesleid is on the upper side of the sound chain when it comes to overall SQ more than the BK but still, part of the total population might say no. Personally, as of the moment, I'm still leaning towards getting the Shozy because of my comfort experience with using the Cygnus which has the same shell as the BK based on the pictures. Does the Moondrop have comfort/fit issues? I'll be using it while commuting/on the move so fit is also critical and important. The DIY Graphene which I think has a larger shell than the Shozys fits me well. Also, what's the impedance of the Liebesleid?

With this, can anyone point me to a "complete" Liebesleid review (preferably on English language/translation) on the web? Did not see even here at HF. :)

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #29,409 of 75,339
Sorry for my unintentionally accuse on you. I amended the first sentence of my original post. Please accept my apology. :slight_frown:

Mar 27, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #29,410 of 75,339
Sorry for my unintentionally accuse on you. I amended the first sentence of my original post. Please accept my apology. :slight_frown:

What accusation? :grin:

Mar 27, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #29,411 of 75,339
@ClieOS : :wink:
Even though Mr. ClieOS recommended you BK Blue 3.5mm. I still insist that if you can get any buds with balanced configuration, please grab that with the following reasons.

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #29,413 of 75,339
i just had ToneKing TO400S 400ohm earbuds arrive from nicehck.

mmcx is too pushed out. cable does not stay firm (there is a room for wiggle) and mmcx connector is exposed to outside. eidolic connectors very easily roll 360* but stocks have some resistance.

earbuds came a bit scratched on the sides.

they're not bassy. not flat. no peaks. easy to drive despite 400ohm.

foams feel a bit weird. i would say it feels a bit itchy using sock foams. will replace them with hiegi today.

earbuds comfortable to use but with my ears but metallic mmcx connectors touch bottom part of the ear (such construction) and it gets cold when you sit under 20*C aircon :) i guess i would need to use heatshrink on connectors.

package is just a box, red&black foams and earbuds with cable attached.

let's see how it performs...

Mar 27, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #29,414 of 75,339
@ClieOS @chaiyuta Thanks guys for your valuable inputs. Actually I have an offer for Liebesleid that is cheaper than getting the BK Blue SE. Based on what I gathered so far, I think it is a general consensus that the Liebesleid is on the upper side of the sound chain when it comes to overall SQ more than the BK but still, part of the total population might say no. Personally, as of the moment, I'm still leaning towards getting the Shozy because of my comfort experience with using the Cygnus which has the same shell as the BK based on the pictures. Does the Moondrop have comfort/fit issues? I'll be using it while commuting/on the move so fit is also critical and important. The DIY Graphene which I think has a larger shell than the Shozys fits me well. Also, what's the impedance of the Liebesleid?

With this, can anyone point me to a "complete" Liebesleid review (preferably on English language/translation) on the web? Did not see even here at HF. :)
i think BK and liebesleid is two different sound, you can't really compare it. me personally prefer bk over liebesleid.
because liebesleid is the opposite of the sound that i like, liebesleid low end is too thin for me while bk have a nice punchy bass

Mar 27, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #29,415 of 75,339
i think BK and liebesleid is two different sound, you can't really compare it. me personally prefer bk over liebesleid.
because liebesleid is the opposite of the sound that i like, liebesleid low end is too thin for me while bk have a nice punchy bass

I thought I am getting closer to a decision... Thanks @zeta555 for your honest opinion. I found a few japanese reviews of the Liebesleid and they are all favorable and such high praises. Some rated it higher than the BK and the Mojito on overall transparency and resolution. I understand about the bass and how it is constructed to be not on-the-move friendly except when using the silicon pad before the foam. But which of the 2 sounds closer to the DIY Graphene ($29)? That's currently my sound preference. Just finally got the fund to get to the TOTL level. If funds are limited, I may have settled immediately with the original BK.

So far, reading more and more of these differing opinions makes me more confused than helped. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back