Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 4, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #26,717 of 75,375
It’s vents are bigger and differently spaced than regular pk grille. Sounds more directed at you than wide field of sound.

Personally I preferred the spacing of original grille but this one is really nice for comfort as the front is curved and very smooth. Looks great too.
Weird but the white one looks bigger, may be just because of the color, also which one is the new pk2? I was planning to order the nicehck with the white cable.

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #26,718 of 75,375
Weird but the white one looks bigger, may be just because of the color, also which one is the new pk2? I was planning to order the nicehck with the white cable.
same size it’s just the curved edges and black finish playing tricks on the photo.

That’s my cygnus (white) and pk2s (black). The newer variant of diy pk2 has the same shell as the cygnus/bk and older diy pk2. It’s the standard pk grille. The vents are smaller but more spaced and further from the centre. The field of sound is wider.

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #26,719 of 75,375
@RodRevenge I see you’re using a zuperdac with ess sabre chip. If it’s like most sabre chips as was my hifime diy sabre dac and my lg v20 quad sabre dac the sound very clean and detailed but lacks a little weight in the lower mids.

The cygnus works excellently in this case with its bump in that region and through my lg v20 it sounds more weighty than my penon bs1. Really appreciates a clean source to help with its sound sig and I think if you’re device has that same signature it’ll really shine.
Yeah i know what you mean about it lacking weight, how is the lgv20? I was thinking about switching my S7 for it.

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #26,720 of 75,375
Good night guys. Wanted a quick Help.
I am more of an IEM guy, but sometimes i can apreciatte a good earbud. I have a faaeal 64ohm that is good, but sound lack too much bass too me, but i find them confortable, good to listen, seem natural with a lack of fun and spaciouness. I have a vido that i like more, it hass the bass impact. It seems with more soundstage altought with much less precision, i think ? whatever. Basically i find faaeal cold, and vido funnier. The problem is, the faaeal are gorgeous built, and the vido looks like a trash. My question is, my search for something in the middle, sounding better than vido and with a good cable end up with a safe bet on EMX500 ? I don't wanna much complication. I wanted to know if the Emx is more in the side of fun vido, or cold/precise faaeal/monks. Thx.

Other recommendations are welcome. My powerfull source is a small Fiio E70k.

Soundstage and airyness with bass presence is basically what i look for in a earbud.

Thanx in advance.

Let's try again. Yincrow x6 is a safe bet for what i look for - something similar to vido Or emx500 ?

Help.

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #26,721 of 75,375
Yeah i know what you mean about it lacking weight, how is the lgv20? I was thinking about switching my S7 for it.
Bit overhyped for earbuds. The main selling point other than the quad dac is that it can drive headphones even up to 600ohm. But for earbuds if stays in low impendance mode (under 50ohms) and while it’s detailed and very clean sounding it’s a little bright (not the biggest issue) but has the sabre signature as mentioned before. It’s somewhat neutral-cold and lacks a little weight down low.

However if you turn on the snapdragon + EQ (some models have it some don’t, mine is LS997 sprint version) you get a warmer (only slightly north of neutral) fuller sound and if you put +3% to soundstage option it removes the crossfeed LG seemed to have added by default which narrows the soundstage abit. Doing this gives you a detailed, wide soundstage and a warmer relatively full sound.

If I didn’t have this EQ option I would’ve sold the phone ASAP. Maybe the leaner cleaner sound helps with full sized cans when the amp is in high gain but in low gain mode it really does sound too lean without the EQ tricks.

Now to get this thing sim unlocked for Ireland... If I cannot I may sell it or use it as a DAP only but I’m very interested in the meizu pro 5/7 if this doesn’t work out, have heard excellent things about how natural it sounds compared to the V20 which is considered a little bright and artificial but with great detail.

FYI the lg v10 is supposed to be warmer and more natural but with slightly less articulation in the treble but as a phone the v20 seems better.

V30 I don’t know much about but the price is pretty steep and LG’s prices drop significantly after awhile for each phone.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #26,722 of 75,375
If you root it or use certain adapters you can trick it into high impendance mode but the issue is it may or may not be damaging to your earbuds idk.

Also if you make the mistake of leaving the volume up too high when you switch to high gain you can blow your ears off... this thing has god levels of power and I found that out pretty fast...

It can power hard to drive headphones better than most DAPS.

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #26,723 of 75,375
I’ve just bought a Sony zx300 which has a balanced 4.4 output which I’d love to try. Do any of you know of any descent earbuds I can buy with that option?

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #26,724 of 75,375
I’ve just bought a Sony zx300 which has a balanced 4.4 output which I’d love to try. Do any of you know of any descent earbuds I can buy with that option?
Maybe the ourart ti7 as Panda seems to enjoy! Assuming you choose the balanced cable option for it!

@HungryPanda It’s no wonder you liken them to headphones with this grille design

9DA0BC39-7666-4D07-AC46-75B5A1771EA4.png

Very unique design for an earbud.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #26,725 of 75,375
Thanks I’ll take a look at that. I also noticed ve zen2 come with a balanced option. I have monks but never tried the zen, anybody know what it’s like?

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #26,726 of 75,375
Thanks I’ll take a look at that. I also noticed ve zen2 come with a balanced option. I have monks but never tried the zen, anybody know what it’s like?
Apparently very warm full lush and rolled off highs.

If you have a a high budget I’d suggest you try Shozy BK balanced. Clios rated it in top 3 of earbuds he’s tried and if balanced from your dap performs better the regular it’ll be incredible performance:)

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #26,727 of 75,375

Not many off the shelf 4.4mm balanced options at the moment, though I notice that most of the diy guys will offer 4.4mm plugs. mmcx buds like the Ti7 Sean mentioned mean that you can get a cable terminated to suit.

Edit: I guess you can get adaptors.

In other news, my K's 600 turned up. I ordered them a couple of weeks after two other orders which have yet to appear. At least I have patience, eh?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #26,728 of 75,375
Not many off the shelf 4.4mm balanced options at the moment, though I notice that most of the diy guys will offer 4.4mm plugs. mmcx buds like the Ti7 Sean mentioned mean that you can get a cable terminated to suit.

Edit: I guess you can get adaptors.

In other news, my K's 600 turned up. I ordered them a couple of weeks after two other orders which have yet to appear. At least I have patience, eh?
Oh it’s 4.4 sorry I think the shozy is 2.5mm balanced. You can use an adapter correct?

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #26,730 of 75,375
Just checked, there are loads of 2.5mm female to 4.4mm male adaptors out there.

The different balanced connector sizes reminds me of the VHS/Betamax/V2000 video cassette pain from the 80s. The VHS won out. I hope the 4.4mm wins out, as the 2.5mm is too small and reading on here, a pain to solder a new one to diy cable. The 3.5mm is already the SE standard. That Sony are using 4.4mm means that's where I will place my bet for the future. Any takers? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back