Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 29, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #26,536 of 75,341
Fast engrish review of Monk Lite 40ohm and 120ohm ver.
Source: Hidisz AP100
Music: Different from sympho metal to acoustic and PoP.

In short, the first monks are better. 40 ohm version with a mudy bass, 120 ohms less mudy, but in general sound signature is the same - recessed trebles, weak mids and mid-bass domination.
Bad with multi-instrumental, fast music. Acceptable under PoP, acoustics, something where there are few instruments and / or its artificialy generated electronic sound.
As example :
Lindsey Stirling, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Katzenjammer sounds acceptable. (but they sound good on anything, lol)

In general, for a few dollars, to use with a smartphone - Ok. Just dont try to find something what laid behind more expensive earbuds.
SPC version comes in a box with earbuds and a hard case, beautifully packed - you can easily gift it. But there are no clothespins, and it's sad.
photo_2017-12-29_18-54-08.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #26,542 of 75,341
Not much, i dont really believe in burning in, it works great with my acoustic and instrumental music (as far as it not too bussy), great bud, not great for metal though.

I don't listen to metal, so I can't comment on that (I mainly listen to prog rock and trance).

Anyway, it can't hurt to let them burn in for at least a few hours. Also, try different foams (I prefer donuts with the graphenes). And try angling the buds in your ears to get a better fit/seal. If I angle the bottom of the stem forward, then I get a better seal and more bass.

Ultimately, the graphenes seem to be somewhat polarizing, and they just might not be for you. I personally love their sound, maybe because they sound different than traditionally tuned earbuds. I find that my ears get a bit bored of more traditionally tuned earbuds somewhat quickly, but not so with the graphenes.

Dec 29, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #26,543 of 75,341
I don't listen to metal, so I can't comment on that (I mainly listen to prog rock and trance).

Anyway, it can't hurt to let them burn in for at least a few hours. Also, try different foams (I prefer donuts with the graphenes). And try angling the buds in your ears to get a better fit/seal. If I angle the bottom of the stem forward, then I get a better seal and more bass.

Ultimately, the graphenes seem to be somewhat polarizing, and they just might not be for you. I personally love their sound, maybe because they sound different than traditionally tuned earbuds. I find that my ears get a bit bored of more traditionally tuned earbuds somewhat quickly, but not so with the graphenes.
I also listen a lot of prog rock, i have been playing with them, they are good, i think i found what i dont like about them, they are amazing with strings BUT drums sound weird, the snare especially thin, kinda like metalic, i fee like im listening to st.anger lol. I'll leave them burn a lil bit and see what happens.
As for the zuperdac is there a way to make it work with spotify ? I purchased uapp but im kinda lost here.

Dec 29, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #26,545 of 75,341
Dec 29, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #26,547 of 75,341
I also listen a lot of prog rock, i have been playing with them, they are good, i think i found what i dont like about them, they are amazing with strings BUT drums sound weird, the snare especially thin, kinda like metalic, i fee like im listening to st.anger lol. I'll leave them burn a lil bit and see what happens.

Good idea, it might make a difference. Let us know.

As for the zuperdac is there a way to make it work with spotify ? I purchased uapp but im kinda lost here.

UAPP is a bit quirky, that's for sure.

Firsly, have you listened to local files (preferably lossless) using UAPP and the zuperdac? You can try these two scenarios:

(1) listening via S7's dac: UAPP, "settings", "Play thorugh Android=ON", do not plug in the zuperdac, plug your earbuds into the headphone jack and listen to a local song. Just to be safe, make sure that the S7 sound settings (like EQ, surround, adapt sound etc) are all turned off.

(2) listening via zuperdac: UAPP, "settings", "Play thorugh Android=OFF", plug the zuperdac into your phone, plug your earbuds into the zuperdac, and listen to a local song

You really should get a jump in SQ using the zuperdac. Let me know.

As far as spotify is concerned, UAPP doesn't support it (you could post the question in this thread though if you like). It does support Tidal though, and although it's a pain, you could switch to using Tidal (which if you pay the $20/month, you'll get lossless streaming - but I just use the $10/month 320kbps plan).

Btw, I just tried the zuperdac WITHOUT using UUAP. I went into the Samsung music app, plugged in the zuperdac, plugged my headphones into the zuperdac, and pressed play on "Black Hole Sun". Obviously the S7 is feeding through the zuperdac because I can hear it. But the volume doesn't go high enough. And it is "underwhelming" (as you put it). I then switched to listening to the same song via UAPP and the zuperdac, and it's way better (and goes way louder). So I'm not sure what's going on when NOT using UAPP - maybe android is still processing the sound. Until I figure that out, I'd use UAPP with the Zuperdac.

Fwiw, as much as I like the S7/UAPP/Zuperdac combo for SQ, lately I've been using the Fiio BTR1 bluetooth receiver most of the time. The SQ is very good, and not having anything plugged into my phone is beautiful. You might want to consider using your Zuperdac on your laptop/computer, and getting something like the BTR1 for your mobile listening pleasure.

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #26,548 of 75,341
I've had snow lotus 2 for a few days. Really good for the price

Dec 29, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #26,549 of 75,341
I just ordered the Raven Mk 2, so apologies to Danneq if this means they're no longer available. As a fan of Crow, I really couldn't pass it up. Let's hope they still have stock for my order.

Dec 29, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #26,550 of 75,341
Just got my Penon Audio BS1 Official & Experience plus they threw in a ton of ear bud foams of all different colors and types and a Christmas card. :)

I just put on the BS1 Official in for some initial listen and they sound great! Very wide range and stage/imaging. The wire is no joke. It's a tad beefy and looks like a snake to me. It's also very cold on the ears, but I do like it. The ear buds are small and are extremely comfortable when compared to my other main buds the Masya and the 1More Quads. These are more comfortable than Monks+ but again the cable is a little heavier than expected.

Anyway, I'll let these play for a bit and give more thought to it later. I also have to try out the cheaper Experience ones I got for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back