Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 12, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #241 of 75,519
I think I saw someone trying to sell an E282 on eBay for $500+, and it doesn't even look good in shape. :p

I have given CM707 around 12 hours of burn-in, maybe a little less than that. So far the mid seems to be just a tab less thick and the overall sound has opened  up a tiny bit. It is however still in line with my previous observation and I don't expect any improvement at this point.

Dec 12, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #242 of 75,519
I saw that auction for E282 as well. I got mine for $200 or $300. Not in perfect shape, but they are functioning perfectly well. There's also an auction for E262 on Ebay right now. I think the seller wants $300 for them. A bit too much, but they are very rare...

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #244 of 75,519
Quote:
I saw that auction for E282 as well. I got mine for $200 or $300. Not in perfect shape, but they are functioning perfectly well. There's also an auction for E262 on Ebay right now. I think the seller wants $300 for them. A bit too much, but they are very rare...

Wow....I'm an earbud fanatic but I don't understand why such a high price.  I love my E484 but it can't even measure up to the Shure SE530 that I have.  Care to explain why the 282 is any better?

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #245 of 75,519
Quote:

What has happened to your Sony E484? I remember seeing you when I looked through old threads looking for info on old Sony and Aiwa earbuds.

I've built quite a collection of old Sony and Aiwa earbuds. I've got all the Sony models that I want and need: E252, E282, E484 and E464, I rank the SQ in that order. The E252 is clearly the best one and sound amazing considering that it's an almost 30 years old model. They are in the same league as Sennheiser MX980 and Blox TM7.
As for Aiwa I've got HP-D9, HP-S400, HP-D2 and HP-V541. I rank the SQ in that order. The D9 is the only high end Aiwa I've got. The Aiwa auctions on Ebay always end up at a very high price. I recently bid on a pair of mint Aiwa HP-V9, and I stopped bidding at €611. The auction ended at €805...

I find Blox TM7 to be 1 on my list with Sony MDR-E252 coming in at number 2 followed by Sennheiser MX980 at number 3. I don't care about Yuin PK1 or other earbuds with high impedance. I really like the PK2 and PK3, but the PK2 are probably on the lower part of my top 10 list, and the PK3 don't make it there at all...

@ClieOS - thanks for your impressions on the CM707. I think I'll skip these. The CM700 was my first high end earbud and my favorite until I started collecting earbuds. A few months ago I bought a mint pair of CM7, and I find myself prefering it over the CM700.

Sorry, I realized that I never reply to your inquiry.  Yes, still have the E484.  Two of them in fact as well as 4-5 pairs of E888.  I just left all of them at home and only use the Qualia and JH13pro at work.  That day, I left both the phones at home but needed the music bad.  I dug around and found a Koss Earbud in my car with very bad sound quality.  This remind me to at least leave one of my E888 at work as a backup

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #246 of 75,519
Quote:

Wow....I'm an earbud fanatic but I don't understand why such a high price.  I love my E484 but it can't even measure up to the Shure SE530 that I have.  Care to explain why the 282 is any better?

I do not like IEM's at all ws if I want something small and portable, I only have earbuds. Nowadays there aren't that many earbud models to choose from.

I think that the E282 has got a wider soundstage than the E484, and since I like that sort of presentation I prefer the E282 over the E484.
The old E252 is a (small) step above the E282 and E484 when it comes to soundstage and detail.

Nowadays there are only small Chinese makers that make earbuds, and in my opinion Blox make the best earbuds. Especially the TM7 and ANV3 are on a level of their own.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #247 of 75,519
Quote:

I do not like IEM's at all ws if I want something small and portable, I only have earbuds. Nowadays there aren't that many earbud models to choose from.

I think that the E282 has got a wider soundstage than the E484, and since I like that sort of presentation I prefer the E282 over the E484.
The old E252 is a (small) step above the E282 and E484 when it comes to soundstage and detail.

Nowadays there are only small Chinese makers that make earbuds, and in my opinion Blox make the best earbuds. Especially the TM7 and ANV3 are on a level of their own.

Thanks.  Where does the Senn MX980 ranked among the best in your opinion.  When I listened to it briefly, I was very impressed by it and thought it was better than the E484.

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #248 of 75,519
Quote:
Thanks.  Where does the Senn MX980 ranked among the best in your opinion.  When I listened to it briefly, I was very impressed by it and thought it was better than the E484.

I'd say that the MX980 is on about the same level as the Blox TM7. Bass is slightly deeper with the MX980, but otherwise they are very close in sound. The thing that brings the Mx980 down for me is the fit - the housing is slightly bigger than most other earbuds. I have removed the small rubber ring around the earpiece and that makes the fit better, but it's still pretty big. Blox uses standard Sennheiser MX400 housing for their earbuds. They might look dull, but sound great and the fit is good as well.

I have not heard the new MX985, but it looks like it's the same as the MX980 except for some changes in design.

My top 5 would have to be:
Blox TM7
Sennheiser MX980
Blox ANV3 (a model released to celebrate the third anniversary of Blox. TM7 drivers in different housing)
Sony MDR-E252
Aiwa HP-D9 (best highs and details of all my earbuds, but very bass aenemic...)

I think that E282 would be no 6 and E484 no 7. Still the E484 is much better than most current earbud models...

Mar 7, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #249 of 75,519
Danneq, you might want to give the new Sunrise SW-Dragon 2 a listen. I won't say it beat TM7 or MX985, but it definitely belongs to the top-tier category.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #250 of 75,519
Quote:
Danneq, you might want to give the new Sunrise SW-Dragon 2 a listen. I won't say it beat TM7 or MX985, but it definitely belongs to the top-tier category.

How's the impedance on them? I don't bother with high impedance earbuds since I want to use earbuds portably without using a headphone amp.

I did recently buy the new Sunrise Charm 3. They have good detail and a "clean" and analytical sound without sounding sibilant. They are not close to TM7 or MX980/985, but I think they are better than Hisoundaudio Live and almost as good as Yuin PK2 (however I still prefer PK2 to Charm 3). Overall they are close to the AKG K319 in sound.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #251 of 75,519
Quote:

ClieOS, what's your opinion on the MX985? I'm curious, even though I own a pair myself and find them to be absolutely fantastic.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #252 of 75,519
I'm curious about your CM707 impressions as I'm an oldie from the MDR-E888/CM7 era. I still use the CM7Ti occasionally, and remember forking out so much for it -_-
I recently ordered the NW-Studio Pro W, in the hopes I can use that on a day to day basis and preserve my CM7Ti.

In terms of detail retrieval, treble presentation and extension (all together), I really haven't found any earphone that surpasses it yet.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #253 of 75,519
Quote:

How's the impedance on them? I don't bother with high impedance earbuds since I want to use earbuds portably without using a headphone amp.

I did recently buy the new Sunrise Charm 3. They have good detail and a "clean" and analytical sound without sounding sibilant. They are not close to TM7 or MX980/985, but I think they are better than Hisoundaudio Live and almost as good as Yuin PK2 (however I still prefer PK2 to Charm 3). Overall they are close to the AKG K319 in sound.

Yeah, there might be a problem as Dragon is 120ohm. I have the Charm 3 as well, not a bad earbuds at all. The new AS-Feeling is quite good too. Sunrise really has some nice earbuds recently.

Quote:
ClieOS, what's your opinion on the MX985? I'm curious, even though I own a pair myself and find them to be absolutely fantastic.

It is absolutely fantastic. TM7 is the only earbud that can measure up to it side by side.

Quote:
I'm curious about your CM707 impressions as I'm an oldie from the MDR-E888/CM7 era. I still use the CM7Ti occasionally, and remember forking out so much for it -_-
I recently ordered the NW-Studio Pro W, in the hopes I can use that on a day to day basis and preserve my CM7Ti.

In terms of detail retrieval, treble presentation and extension (all together), I really haven't found any earphone that surpasses it yet.

If I am not mistaken, Studio Pro W is just the white version of normal Studio. In that case, you probably won't find the same level of detail retrieval as Studio does better in bass than in treble. HiSound Living might be more up to your taste. B&O A8, which is a clip-on, might be even closer. However, from what I have heard it is using a different driver now, warmer and less airy. Still I would think it is a closer approximation than CM707. Creative Aurvana Air  (also clip-on) is another good alternative as well.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #254 of 75,519
which would be the smallest and flattest, so that it wont hurt sleeping on the side with? i have tried bedphones, but these things suck in soundquality and comfort.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #255 of 75,519
Quote:
which would be the smallest and flattest, so that it wont hurt sleeping on the side with? i have tried bedphones, but these things suck in soundquality and comfort.

Apple Earpods? It isn't the greatest sounding ever, but it is really comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back