Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 28, 2016 at 7:57 AM Post #2,476 of 75,755

Now for that MIN VX, @ClieOS have you listened to them after getting them?

Thank-you

Of course I did, and it is a solid earbuds and an good improvement over their previous flagship, the V5. Somewhat of a neutral sound with slight warmth and a pretty good soundstage. It doesn't really have any big wow factor, but also doesn't really any particular weakness. If I am nitpicking, I'll say the bass can use just a bit more body. Right now I'll probably rate it somewhere in the mid to upper mid area in the 'great' category.

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #2,477 of 75,755

Of course I did, and it is a solid earbuds and an good improvement over their previous flagship, the V5. Somewhat of a neutral sound with slight warmth and a pretty good soundstage. It doesn't really have any big wow factor, but also doesn't really any particular weakness. If I am nitpicking, I'll say the bass can use just a bit more body. Right now I'll probably rate it somewhere in the mid to upper mid area in the 'great' category.

Thanks for the information as always Clie, seeing as I have already bought the DIY dual drivers, should I still get these?

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #2,479 of 75,755

Thanks for the information as always Clie, seeing as I have already bought the DIY dual drivers, should I still get these?

They are different enough that I think it is worth a buy - but then again, I am biased for being a person who keep buying earbuds.

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #2,480 of 75,755
  Yes, I fully understand that the Monks have legendary status in the audiophile world. However, here is my problem: since I have already decided to purchase either the Tomahawks, Tings, or MIN VX's, I highly doubt I would go back and listen to the Monks. Instead, the Monks would enter an eternal slumber in my plastic divider box, and suffer the same fate as my SIDY BGVP KT100 after  have gotten the SeaHF 320OHMS new version.

Do anyone of you go back to listen to your monks extensively after you have heard other buds like the Tomahawk? (Just curious)

I find myself frequently going back to the Monk from the Zen V1 and Zen V2. My Monks are single ended. My Zens are balanced for use with the Pono. They also often get put on instead of my custom built Magnum V6 and Ypsilon full-size headphones and my vintage pink driver Grado SR80 (both the stock ones and the pair in African Blackwood). Part of this is convenience. A lot of it is simply their quality. They punch way above their weight and classification.

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #2,481 of 75,755

I find myself frequently going back to the Monk from the Zen V1 and Zen V2. My Monks are single ended. My Zens are balanced for use with the Pono. They also often get put on instead of my custom built Magnum V6 and Ypsilon full-size headphones and my vintage pink driver Grado SR80 (both the stock ones and the pair in African Blackwood). Part of this is convenience. A lot of it is simply their quality. They punch way above their weight and classification.

Thanks for your response mate. Seeing as I do not have a balanced setup (nor would I have the money for it), I shall still remain firm and skip the Monks (I am probably going to get stabbed for the statement). Let's say if you had the Zen's in single ended form, would you still go back to your monks?

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #2,483 of 75,755
Thanks for your response mate. Seeing as I do not have a balanced setup (nor would I have the money for it), I shall still remain firm and skip the Monks (I am probably going to get stabbed for the statement). Let's say if you had the Zen's in single ended form, would you still go back to your monks?

Feb 28, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #2,484 of 75,755

LOL...well...I had the Zen V1 in single ended format before I heard the new Monks, so I didn't have them side-by-side...but I probably would still reach for them. That simply because the Monks sound damn good, and I wouldn't need my stack or Pono to drive them properly...

Feb 28, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #2,486 of 75,755
Damn it...the question still remains, to Monk or not to Monk if one is planning to get the Tings or Tomahawks.

Any other feedback?

Monk is great and cheap! Why bother at $5? You should be kidding I guess. :wink:

Really Lee should be selling the Monk for maybe $20-50 to draw more attention. Because general consensus is if something is cheap it cannot be good. So if I were Lee I would sell the Monk for $20 at least.YMMW.

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #2,487 of 75,755
Monk is great and cheap! Why bother at $5? You should be kidding I guess.
wink.gif

Really Lee should be selling the Monk for maybe $20-50 to draw more attention. Because general consensus is if something is cheap it cannot be good. So if I were Lee I would sell the Monk for $20 at least.YMMW.

Yes I understand they are terrific value for the money and bloody punch waaay above their own weight. However what I am worried about is that if I buy the Monks and the Tomahawks at the same time, the Tomahawks will be out-performing the Monks that I won't even care to listen to them and in the end, I could have used those $5USD to buy myself better earpads or save up the same 5USD for future upgrade. Just my honest opinion.

Guess it comes down to just how similar are the Tomahawks and Monk sound. The blanket analogy has got me thinking. That is how I came to my conclusion. 

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #2,488 of 75,755
  Yes I understand they are terrific value for the money and bloody punch waaay above their own weight. However what I am worried about is that if I buy the Monks and the Tomahawks at the same time, the Tomahawks will be out-performing the Monks that I won't even care to listen to them and in the end, I could have used those $5USD to buy myself better earpads or save up the same 5USD for future upgrade. Just my honest opinion.

Guess it comes down to just how similar are the Tomahawks and Monk sound. The blanket analogy has got me thinking. That is how I came to my conclusion. 

Looks like I caused this lol. I bought the Monks because of their reputation and really, for $5, cost isn't a consideration. As value for money, they are unbeatable, but I was comparing sound quality, and I don't care what the cost is. If they were better I would have been happy to say so. Will I use them when I could just as easily grab the Tomahawks, no.

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #2,489 of 75,755
Just got VJJB earbud 10mins ago. Good thing is that the packaging and overall presentation is outstanding and lots of accessories. However it does not sit in ear well and sound is very quiet comparing with VE Monk at same volume level tested so have to crank up the volume. And the major issue is kink on cable. I do not recommend this earbud. I will just use it to make phone call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back