Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 20, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #23,956 of 75,375
I guess different ears and all that. Because I wouldn't remotely describe the VE Monks as warm either. Your description of warm is what I think of as well.

My sources are iPod with FiiO Q1, V20, Zishan Z2 or my desktop setup (very very rarely on that last one though).

Hmm interesting. I consider monk a warm (slightly less than pk2 but on the warmer side of neutral) and dark analog sound. Every except the mid range is rolled off, making it an easy midcentric listen but lacking on both ends.

Which bud do you consider warm?

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #23,957 of 75,375
Hmm interesting. I consider monk a warm and dark analog sound. Every except the mid range is rolled off, making it an easy midcentric listen but lacking on both ends.

Which bud do you consider warm?

My Yinman 150 ohm is for me the definition of a warm bud. Nice bass without rolling into the mid range and a nice thick sound. It is also a very laid back bud. I'd also say the CF2 is a warm bud. Not as warm as the Yinman 150 ohm as it is more energetic and has stronger highs which I feel makes it a little less warm then the 150 ohm. But still a decently warm bud.

I found the Monks bass to be very lacking and that may be coloring my judgement of it. But for me to be called warm it needs decent bass quality. To me the Monk+ bass is both weak and out of control.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #23,958 of 75,375
i already have an emx500 i think it sounds like ty hiz 32 or vido with more sparkling at high , if possible i prefer mid forward sweet and thick but not sacrifice at low i think it more like ty hiz 32 but more forward mid (its hard to describe lol) , does anyone have try reter earbud jack with original viablue or other high end jacks? does it improve?
I ever terminated M2M cable with viablue jacks, however I am not a fan of viablue sound. I can say that its sound changes (thicker vocal, more mid-bass). Anyway, I prefer furutech (rodium plated) most.

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #23,959 of 75,375
My Yinman 150 ohm is for me the definition of a warm bud. Nice bass without rolling into the mid range and a nice thick sound. It is also a very laid back bud. I'd also say the CF2 is a warm bud. Not as warm as the Yinman 150 ohm as it is more energetic and has stronger highs which I feel makes it a little less warm then the 150 ohm. But still a decently warm bud.

I found the Monks bass to be very lacking and that may be coloring my judgement of it. But for me to be called warm it needs decent bass quality. To me the Monk+ bass is both weak and out of control.

I think you're associating bright sound with a lack of warmth, now maybe you're right and bright is the opposite of warm but myself I like to consider bright as "not rolled off" thus having a more detailed/vivid sound and dark being "rolled off" thus having a less fatiguing but compressed sound. PK2 leans more towards bright, it's treble extends further with little roll off. But I consider it also to be more warm tonally as the vocals have a weighty thick sound, with a nice fullness.

To me dark/bright is about detail and extension of each note. Whilst cold/neutral/warm is about the fullness and possibly length of time each note resonates. Or possibly the warmth or coolness of sound is a result of where the balance lies between roll off of low vs high frequencies? But if that's the case the PK bud is neutral??? Not quiet sure lol All I know is to me it feels somewhat warm and also bright and sparkly... It's all about feelings here xD

As with the monks maybe i'm letting its dark sound confuse me with assuming it's also warmer more full bodied than it actually is.

These definitions are kind of subjective or not clearly defined between listeners anyway. But it's cool to hear different perspectives!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #23,960 of 75,375
I ever terminated M2M cable with viablue jacks, however I am not a fan of viablue sound. I can say that its sound changes (thicker vocal, more mid-bass). Anyway, I prefer furutech (rodium plated) most.
Are you saying the jack is changing the sound without also changing the cable/source/amp? because the would be interesting to hear.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #23,961 of 75,375
@seanc6441 Yes, Finally that M2M cable I reterminated again with AEC rodium-plated jack. If you interested on jack. You might search and see customer feedback at any web-store. By the way, if you are the one who curious about Cable, Jack, soldering wire. You should tried by yourself. Some systems might hear minimal difference while some might distinctly difference. If you want to test I recommend you go to audio store ask them to try UIEM (demo unit) plus any insanely expensive cable or from well-known brands likes Beat Audio, Effect Audio, Plussounds, etc. and plian stock cable. I guess you read a lot of the opposite side from me. In head-fi, there are threads that accumulate whoever hear the difference on cable, jack or even soldering wire.

The following link is the example one that he review how jack effect on sound.
https://www.headfonia.com/review-effect-audio-lionheart-rich/

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #23,962 of 75,375
I think you're associating bright sound with a lack of warmth, now maybe you're right and bright is the opposite of warm but myself I like to consider bright as "not rolled off" thus having a more detailed/vivid sound and dark being "rolled off" thus having a less fatiguing but compressed sound. PK2 leans more towards bright, it's treble extends further with little roll off. But I consider it also to be more warm tonally as the vocals have a weighty thick sound, with a nice fullness.

To me dark/bright is about detail and extension of each note. Whilst cold/neutral/warm is about the fullness and possibly length of time each note resonates. Or possibly the warmth or coolness of sound is a result of where the balance lies between roll off of low vs high frequencies? But if that's the case the PK bud is neutral??? Not quiet sure lol All I know is to me it feels somewhat warm and also bright and sparkly... It's all about feelings here xD

As with the monks maybe i'm letting its dark sound confuse me with assuming it's also warmer more full bodied than it actually is.

These definitions are kind of subjective or not clearly defined between listeners anyway. But it's cool to hear different perspectives!

Yeah. I think the whole describing sound with words gets as confusing as crap since no one really agrees on what the hell they mean.

I get what you are saying about the warm and brightness. As I find the Hd600s to have a bit of warmth but still strong highs. I think though in general if a headphone has a bit of focus on the higher end of frequencies, it is going to take some of the warmth away.

Oct 20, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #23,963 of 75,375
Oct 20, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #23,964 of 75,375
Yeah. I think the whole describing sound with words gets as confusing as **** since no one really agrees on what the hell they mean.

I get what you are saying about the warm and brightness. As I find the Hd600s to have a bit of warmth but still strong highs. I think though in general if a headphone has a bit of focus on the higher end of frequencies, it is going to take some of the warmth away.

That's generally the case with earbuds and some headphones, I think the full pads and cups on headphones help make bright headphones still sound warm/full as the sound bouces around alot and is contained in the pads. That and 50mm drivers can handle tasks differently I'm sure.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #23,965 of 75,375
@seanc6441 Yes, Finally that M2M cable I reterminated again with AEC rodium-plated jack. If you interested on jack. You might search and see customer feedback at any web-store. By the way, if you are the one who curious about Cable, Jack, soldering wire. You should tried by yourself. Some systems might hear minimal difference while some might distinctly difference. If you want to test I recommend you go to audio store ask them to try UIEM (demo unit) plus any insanely expensive cable or from well-known brands likes Beat Audio, Effect Audio, Plussounds, etc. and plian stock cable. I guess you read a lot of the opposite side from me. In head-fi, there are threads that accumulate whoever hear the difference on cable, jack or even soldering wire.

The following link is the example one that he review how jack effect on sound.
https://www.headfonia.com/review-effect-audio-lionheart-rich/

I'm in no position to disagree with you but that article you linked begins with the reviewer saying that the site is partnered with the cable seller... lol

Call me sceptical but there may be some bias in that. I'd have to hear it for myself but I'm currently unwilling to spend a fortune on a cable... maybe some day.

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #23,966 of 75,375
@93EXCivic It doesn't help that people start using terms that mean absolutely nothing in relation to this hobby when trying to describe something too. One person started using wine terms, to which I eventually had to respond that I had no clue what the heck they were talking about and no sense was being made.

Oct 20, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #23,967 of 75,375
@93EXCivic It doesn't help that people start using terms that mean absolutely nothing in relation to this hobby when trying to describe something too. One person started using wine terms, to which I eventually had to respond that I had no clue what the heck they were talking about and no sense was being made.

Haha. Or when they start using car comparisons especially because usually they are almost always horrible.

Oct 20, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #23,969 of 75,375
K's 300 Samsara is pretty impressive.
Soundstage is a step smaller than the Campfred 2, which I like. The CF2 is too big sometimes and can swallow a bit of the mids.
I've only had the Samsara's a couple of weeks so they need to burn in. So far I'm hearing an excellent amount of detail.
They definitely have the bass slam of the CF2 and the mids are more pushed forward slightly.

Oct 20, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #23,970 of 75,375
Just got in my new 2.5mm TRRS cable for Svara-L from VE's recent cable massdrop. I had been using the espresso cable for the task, so basically the same thing except in a different color that actually suits the earbud. The espresso's MMCX connector looks nicer, but the overall aesthetics suits the Svara nicely. I was going to use it with the Monoprice M300, but I'm in the process of trying to return that, so new Svara-L toy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back