Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 20, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #23,927 of 75,443
Any prog metal lover arround? If so which one should i get to rock some Opeth and DT, im guessing something with a decent soundstage since prog metal has a lot going on most of the time, right now i own the monk + and Faaeal 64 (seahf AWK 64F on the way thanks to the advice on black metal someone did earlier) i play most of my music on my galaxy s7 Snapdragon (not that great i know)

What sort of sound signature do you like? A bit more laid back or more "in your face" type of energetic sound? I love prog metal myself and prefer a more laid back sound signature since metal is energetic in itself.

Also, what price level are you looking at?

At around $20-30 there are some good options: NiceNCK DIY PK2, NiceNCK DIY Graphene and Moondrop Nameless. PK2 & Graphene have a more forward and in your face presentation while Moondrop Nameless is a bit more gentle. From a short comparison I would rank soundstage like this: Nameless, Graphene, DIY PK2.

While DIY PK2 is forward and soundstage not the widest and deepest, it has good clarity and detail. You can make out individual instruments. Sure, cymbals can be a bit sharp sometimes, but that can depend on the source as well. I find Graphene to be a bit too bright for me. I wonder if that will go away with use... It's like the treble is a bit "bloomy". I find that sort of sharp sound to be similar to the Rose earbuds (I used to own Mojito but sold it).

So my overall recommendation would be Moondrop Nameless even if DIY PK2 impresses me more. However the PK2 loses on soundstage.

If you go up to around $40 there are two more options: Toneking MRZ Tomahawk and Yincrow RW 777. Overall I still think that Tomahawk well can hold its ground against newer earbuds in the same price range. It has got a fuller sound overall than Yincrow RW 777 which sounds a bit thin in comparison. However when you listen for a bit, RW 777 has got a really nice soundstage with good depth and detail.

Personally I would pick either Tomahawk or Yincrow RW 777 over the three earlier earbuds.

Someone was asking about Graphene vs Shozy BK/Stardust. Stardust have a similar presentation to Graphene & PK2. Graphene performs quite excellent, but to me the sort of sharp and "bloomy" treble is negative. Stardust is far more clear sounding and detailed. Is it worth 7-8 times the price of Graphene? That's a matter of personal choice.

Anyway, I just switched to my recently purchased Cypherus CampFred 2 and it's like leaving earbuds and switching to full size headphones. Deep soundstage, relaxed but still detailed treble and great sub bass for a pair of earbuds.

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #23,928 of 75,443
Any prog metal lover arround? If so which one should i get to rock some Opeth and DT, im guessing something with a decent soundstage since prog metal has a lot going on most of the time, right now i own the monk + and Faaeal 64 (seahf AWK 64F on the way thanks to the advice on black metal someone did earlier) i play most of my music on my galaxy s7 Snapdragon (not that great i know)

Forgot the other thing!

I've been a fan of prog metal for over 20 years, since Dream Theater released Awake (I first saw them live in Stockholm in 1995 with Fates Warning opening).

If you haven't checked these bands out, please do!

Dali's Dilemma - released an album in 1999 (Manifesto for Futurism). Great Dream Theater-type of prog metal with a sound close to Images & Words/Awake.

The Quiet Room - released 2 albums, one in 1997 and one in 2000 (I think) with a DT influenced sound.

Symphony X - You probably have heard them or at least heard of them. Great mix of prog and neoclassical metal

Power of Omens - my personal favorite. Released one album in 1998 and one in 2003. Amazingly technical with one of the craziest drummers I've heard. The singer sounds like Geoff Tate from Queensrÿche and the music is melodical but very very complex at the same time with time changes every five seconds.

Clockwork - released one album in 1999, Surface Tension. A sort of jazzy type of DT influenced prog metal sound. Very good.

Fates Warning - if you haven't listened to them, please do! They were an influence on Dream Theater when they started up. The last album, Theory of Flight from 2016 (?) is an amazing piece of prog metal. Melodic, moody and technical at the same time. Highly recommended!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #23,929 of 75,443
How do you order campfred 2s as they sound awesome?

Oct 20, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #23,930 of 75,443
How do you order campfred 2s as they sound awesome?

You can contact Cypherus on the Facebook page or go to the new Cypherus Audio homepage and order them there (I think you have to use the "contact us" form to order from the homepage).

However, CampFred 2 is in the top end of the price scale of earbuds. $199 excluding shipping and shipping from Indonesia can be a bit expensive. I got my pair second hand. Paid around $210 in total but if I bought it new it would probably be $230-240 with shipping.

However, I only use earbuds (and sometimes clip on earphones) and some people spend a lot more on full size headphones. I search for earbuds that can give me a full size headphone type of sound and that usually costs a bit...

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 3:31 AM Post #23,931 of 75,443
Ah I see. What's the best ear bud up to £100 for a metal man

Oct 20, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #23,933 of 75,443
Ah I see. What's the best ear bud up to £100 for a metal man

Not sure... I stick to $150+ or budget earbuds. However sometimes I can buy something up to around $50. I don't really know the market for $50-$100 (or £100) earbuds. I used to own Musicmaker/Toneking Ting and it was nice, but I sold it. Edimun V3 and Red De'mun are earbuds from small Indonesian DIY companies (Bengkel Macro and De'mun)

To me both Tomahawk and Yincrow RW 777 would be worth getting at the same time. It would still be under £100 and you would get two earbuds that work with metal but with different sound signatures. Yincrow has a bigger soundstage overall and a leaner and cleaner sound. But metal guitars sound really great with Tomahawk. And despite having a more "meaty" sound than Yincrow, instrument separation and layering is really good on Tomahawk. Still, Tomahawk is a love/hate earbud with some loving it and some hating it. It cannot compete with my TOTL earbuds but I always enjoy it especially with metal so that's why I keep it. It doesn't work as well with more soft styles of music. RW 777 is more versatile in that way.

Anyway, others can probably come with more suggestions.

Oct 20, 2017 at 6:30 AM Post #23,934 of 75,443
What about over €100. Is stardust best in this category? Sorry to ask loads

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #23,935 of 75,443
I love my DIY PK2 but I wish it had slightly better resolution and slightly more sub bass extension. It really is a special earbud for the price though, it has an energy and detail about each instrument it pushes out which is wonderful. Vocals is where it struggles though IMO.

I'd love a DIY PK2 with better vocals, I can live with the smaller soundstage as it gives a more intimate presentation to music. One of the few buds I have that combines warmth and sparkle just right.

I guess the shozy stardust is this signature in TOTL class? If so i'm going to have no choice but to scrape funds together because I need this sound in my music lol.

Oct 20, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #23,936 of 75,443
I love my DIY PK2 but I wish it had slightly better resolution and slightly more sub bass extension. It really is a special earbud for the price though, it has an energy and detail about each instrument it pushes out which is wonderful. Vocals is where it struggles though IMO.

I'd love a DIY PK2 with better vocals, I can live with the smaller soundstage as it gives a more intimate presentation to music. One of the few buds I have that combines warmth and sparkle just right.

I guess the shozy stardust is this signature in TOTL class? If so i'm going to have no choice but to scrape funds together because I need this sound in my music lol.

lol

Oct 20, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #23,937 of 75,443
At around $20-30 there are some good options: NiceNCK DIY PK2, NiceNCK DIY Graphene and Moondrop Nameless. PK2 & Graphene have a more forward and in your face presentation while Moondrop Nameless is a bit more gentle. From a short comparison I would rank soundstage like this: Nameless, Graphene, DIY PK2.

I find Graphene to be a bit too bright for me. I wonder if that will go away with use... It's like the treble is a bit "bloomy".

Someone was asking about Graphene vs Shozy BK/Stardust. Stardust have a similar presentation to Graphene & PK2. Graphene performs quite excellent, but to me the sort of sharp and "bloomy" treble is negative. Stardust is far more clear sounding and detailed.

Try PK2 and Graphene with these two foam combo's.

1) Ve Monk Thin + Heigi Donut on top
2) Ve monk thin + Ve monk thin "donut" (pinch and pull middle of monk foam and cut it to form a hole making it a donut foam.

I can't confirm this helps graphene yet but on my Masya and PK2 it's epic. It tames the treble, brings out the sub bass but most importantly it retains most of the detailing that you lose with a full foam.

I'm currently using thin foam and heigi but when I get my ve pack ill try the second option which can only improve the clarity and hopefully retain the full sound im hearing with combo one.

The more I venture into earbuds and finding the perfect sound the more I realise the significance of foam combinations and fit.

Let me know if you like this combo :)
(assuming you have monk foams and heigi foams^^)

Does auglamour rx1 still worth to buy nowday? I like mid forward and warm signature earbud
I have vido, vemonk plus , toneking tp16,emx500,yuin pk3,edi h185,ty hiz 32,yincrowx6

I have an RX1 that isn't getting much use due to it not fitting my ear right. I was going to list it in FS section but I'm willing to sell/trade with you if your interested.

As for if it's worth buying well for me it's too neutral for my tastes (I like more warm sound) but everyone has different tastes so maybe you will prefer neutral sound signature.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #23,938 of 75,443
Try PK2 and Graphene with these two foam combo's.

1) Ve Monk Thin + Heigi Donut on top
2) Ve monk thin + Ve monk thin "donut" (pinch and pull middle of monk foam and cut it to form a hole making it a donut foam.

I can't confirm this helps graphene yet but on my Masya and PK2 it's epic. It tames the treble, brings out the sub bass but most importantly it retains most of the detailing that you lose with a full foam.

I'm currently using thin foam and heigi but when I get my ve pack ill try the second option which can only improve the clarity and hopefully retain the full sound im hearing with combo one.

The more I venture into earbuds and finding the perfect sound the more I realise the significance of foam combinations and fit.

Let me know if you like this combo :)
(assuming you have monk foams and heigi foams^^)

Thanks.

Right now I'm using heigi donuts on DIY PK2 and that works well. I have the same setup on Shozy Stardust and that works well. Treble is ever so slightly sharp but it doesn't bother me too much. (I'm more sensitive to the Rose Mojito type of treble)

I'm using regular thickness foams with Graphene. I find treble to be slightly too strong on Tomahawk with other foams than regular thick foams. However the treble isn't tamed in the same way on the Graphenes. The combinations you mention might work.

Ah, and I really think Stardust is worth the price. Fortunately this is pretty much my only hobby so I can spend a bit on it. Still, I am pretty much content with what I've got even if I feel tempted to try out new earbuds now and then...

Oct 20, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #23,939 of 75,443
Oct 20, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #23,940 of 75,443
Thanks.

Right now I'm using heigi donuts on DIY PK2 and that works well. I have the same setup on Shozy Stardust and that works well. Treble is ever so slightly sharp but it doesn't bother me too much. (I'm more sensitive to the Rose Mojito type of treble)

I'm using regular thickness foams with Graphene. I find treble to be slightly too strong on Tomahawk with other foams than regular thick foams. However the treble isn't tamed in the same way on the Graphenes. The combinations you mention might work.

Ah, and I really think Stardust is worth the price. Fortunately this is pretty much my only hobby so I can spend a bit on it. Still, I am pretty much content with what I've got even if I feel tempted to try out new earbuds now and then...
I get some weird effects with some earbuds and foam combinations which work well for some but not so much on others.

Every other combo i've tried to far has either offered clarity and treble at the expense bass impact/full sound or vice versa.

This combination is giving me both so far. But it only seems to work on earbuds with strong treble to begin with, as the layers of monk/heigi foams on the outer vents do tame tge high ends. But I still get the mid/high sparkle which is very important to me.

As I said, this combo may work for some earbuds. Hopefully the graphene is one of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back