Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 29, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #22,471 of 75,671
@snip3r77 : I think 24 - 64 Ohm should be fine. For low Ohm (around 0-24 Ohm) earphones, there is another thing to consideration that is "Output impedance" from tech specs of Player. I have no more knowledge to explain this parameter. I just can say that Lower value is better.

For output impedance , it needs to be a ratio of 8 or more.

Say phone/dap is 1 , then the iem needs to be 8 and above.

Aug 29, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #22,473 of 75,671
Anyone finding any good deals for the Aliexpress sale? I'm tempted to finally pick up Edifier H185 for $8, and maybe the RX-1S for $22.

I ordered a Musicmaker/Toneking tomahawk for 20 bucks+ cause i love my toneking tp16. I also ordered a 1more EO303 and it costs me 10 bucks+

I am not sure if I should get a pair of higher impedance earbuds, maybe a Puresounds PS100-150 or one of the K's.

index.jpg

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #22,474 of 75,671
For output impedance , it needs to be a ratio of 8 or more.

Say phone/dap is 1 , then the iem needs to be 8 and above.
If you look at impedance graphs for typical dynamic earphones, there's some bump in the upper or mid bass, but on the avg pretty leveled. In this situation impedance isn't much of an issue, but depending on that bass bump, you may get less bass.

Forget about impedance at 1khz as spec'd, you'd have to see the graph to see if there is significant impedance skew(that matters the most). Look at the Sennheiser 600 impedance graph, see the hump where the dynamics typically have a bump? But, this one is such a high impedance even in the minima that output impedance of most amps probably don't even come close.
Meridian_Explorer_Graph_SennheiserHD600Impedance.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #22,475 of 75,671
If you look at impedance graphs for typical dynamic earphones, there's some bump in the upper or mid bass, but on the avg pretty leveled. In this situation impedance isn't much of an issue, but depending on that bass bump, you may get less bass.

Forget about impedance at 1khz as spec'd, you'd have to see the graph to see if there is significant impedance skew(that matters the most). Look at the Sennheiser 600 impedance graph, see the hump where the dynamics typically have a bump? But, this one is such a high impedance even in the minima that output impedance of most amps probably don't even come close.
Meridian_Explorer_Graph_SennheiserHD600Impedance.jpg
It doesn't matter if the ratio is >8 , no ?

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #22,480 of 75,671
Your review mentioned that the Vido needs thin foam. Are the stock ones thin?

The ones that come with it are thick. You would need to buy a Monk+ EX Pack from Venture Electronics.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #22,481 of 75,671
I ordered a Musicmaker/Toneking tomahawk for 20 bucks+ cause i love my toneking tp16. I also ordered a 1more EO303 and it costs me 10 bucks+

I am not sure if I should get a pair of higher impedance earbuds, maybe a Puresounds PS100-150 or one of the K's.

While I like the Tomahawk, there's something about it that people eitger like or hate with little middle ground. The TP16 is more universally enjoyed it seems. I haven't heard the EO303, but have the EO320 and prefer it to the Tomahawk.

As far as a higher impedance bud, it's a rough call to make suggestions as it feels like with earbuds there's a lot of love at the budget and TOTL ranges, but the middle is a bit more picky. I personally like the Hi-Z 150S, but it's a very mixed bag with it's more recessed mids. You're also getting into the power range where your source's capabilities with driving start to matter, so knowing your source could be quite helpful for suggestions.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #22,482 of 75,671
While I like the Tomahawk, there's something about it that people eitger like or hate with little middle ground. The TP16 is more universally enjoyed it seems. I haven't heard the EO303, but have the EO320 and prefer it to the Tomahawk.

As far as a higher impedance bud, it's a rough call to make suggestions as it feels like with earbuds there's a lot of love at the budget and TOTL ranges, but the middle is a bit more picky. I personally like the Hi-Z 150S, but it's a very mixed bag with it's more recessed mids. You're also getting into the power range where your source's capabilities with driving start to matter, so knowing your source could be quite helpful for suggestions.
I read that eo320 sounds quite a bit better than eo303 (veiled sound) but at nearly half the price, I decided that eo303 is a better choice.

I have a Hi-z 32 and I do not like its sound signature. For that reason, i did not jump the bandwagon to get a 150s. I do have a Zishan Z2 so I feel like I am eligible to try out some high impedance buds.

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #22,483 of 75,671
I read that eo320 sounds quite a bit better than eo303 (veiled sound) but at nearly half the price, I decided that eo303 is a better choice.

I have a Hi-z 32 and I do not like its sound signature. For that reason, i did not jump the bandwagon to get a 150s. I do have a Zishan Z2 so I feel like I am eligible to try out some high impedance buds.

I can attest to the eo303 sounding really veiled. Sound is subpar but for the price you paid for, great build quality and the accessories (metal tin & molded silicon case/cord/carrier)

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #22,484 of 75,671

To me the Hi-Z 32 feels a bit boring and uninspired compared to the TP16, and the 150S is meant for people seeking a fun V shaped sound. All depends on your tastes at this point.

I haven't heard the Z2 but went the V2S route, and that thing can drive a ZMF Ori. If the Z2 has similar driving capabilites any earbud is within reach.

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #22,485 of 75,671
To me the Hi-Z 32 feels a bit boring and uninspired compared to the TP16, and the 150S is meant for people seeking a fun V shaped sound. All depends on your tastes at this point.

I haven't heard the Z2 but went the V2S route, and that thing can drive a ZMF Ori. If the Z2 has similar driving capabilites any earbud is within reach.
Though an earlier release, Tomahawk is one step higher than TP16 and a step lower than Ting, I read it sounds on par with Ting so I decided to give it a try. I pulled the trigger on a tomahawk and a 1more bud based on the materials used and the look and feel of a product :D Sometimes the impression and the sense of touch matter as much as the sound.

I was torn in between Z2 and V2s. V2s has more buttons (means easier to use) and Z2 has good DAC. I do not have anything over 64ohms so I feel like I am under-utilizing my Z2 now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back