Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 15, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #1,966 of 75,346
  So you can speak Chinese? 
I talked to "bug bro" myself, very nice guy. He says he will have something good to offer after the Chinese New year, I'm very much looking forward to it. 
His partnership with VE ended last November, it seems there is a love/feud goes on, I don't want to probe into that. 
But he did say that he was behind Monk and Zen 1.0, while he has nothing to do with Zen 2.0

Hahaha yep, I speak Chinese, English, Malay, and Japanese (not that fluent). 

Yeah "bug bro" is a very very nice guy. He is mentions that he only wants the best for his customer. He was also extremely humble and answered each of my question very very patiently. Do you know what will the new product be?

I am planning to buy a pair of 灵动2.0 for myself as a birthday present. However, if the new offering from 虫哥 is going to be a brand new high impedance headphone, I may very well hold of my purchase.

As for the the partnership with VE, It think that there was a fundamental difference in how 小刀 and 虫哥 does their business, thus leading to the dissolvement of the partnership.  

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #1,967 of 75,346
  Having VE monk for 30 hours, here are my impressions:

Comfort-wise: I see posts stating how well they stay in their ears, but this is not the case for me, the rim of the earbuds is just too hard, my ears get sore after 10 minutes.

I currently have a Flare audio r2a in my possession, so did some A-B of the two. To put it in a nutshell, Monk wins on Clarity, R2a wins on refinement. The immediate impression you get switching from r2a to Monk is like stepping out of a little bar into a grand concert hall, the sound stage is phenomenal, and Monk seems to able to pick up more details, but its shortcomings are equally apparent. Imaging is definitely inferior to r2a, instruments tend to be bigger than they actually are on the Monk, wile on r2a they are precise and stable. The gentle plucking of violins is so delicious on r2a, but not on the Monk.

To my ears, Monk has some problem with "the reality of sound" , esp when it come to man's voice and ultra-treble. If they can improve on that, this earbud can be "it".

That being said, I do enjoy music more on Monk than on r2a. I seriously recommend them to everyone. As for the ear-comfort problem, I will see a doctor about it later, no worries. 

Monk is great for the price.The vocals definitely sounds fatter than normal. It takes the cake for its huge soundstage and warmish overall presentation.Monk doesn't hurt my ears at all.I own a couple of earphones but Monk is my favorite as it provides a non-fatiguing sound. For the price I paid,I gasped in astonishment when I heard it first.

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #1,968 of 75,346
  Do you know what will the new product be?

Not specifically, but he said he has more than ten versions of 300ohm, and 4-5 versions of 400 ohm... 
As we discussed the streamlining of products, he apologized (a very nice and very humble guy like you said!) for being otherwise engaged, that he cannot concentrate all his effort on earbuds for now, then he asked me to contact him again after the Lunar new year, when he will have the time to offer "something different". 

Quote:
I am planning to buy a pair of 灵动2.0 for myself as a birthday present. However, if the new offering from 虫哥 is going to be a brand new high impedance headphone, I may very well hold of my purchase.

I believe in the audio world, good things are always "around the corner." One can never have the perfect timing to purchase the perfect earphone. So if the on-sale ones are already good, I wouldn't hold off my birthday if I were you 
dt880smile.png

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #1,970 of 75,346

I believe in the audio world, good things are always "around the corner." One can never have the perfect timing to purchase the perfect earphone. So if the on-sale ones are already good, I wouldn't hold off my birthday if I were you 
dt880smile.png

Hahaha, that is a very very good point indeed. Yup he also told me that there are 10 versions of the 320ohm and he himself is sometimes confused as to which to offer to the market. Good to know there are still people like him around. A very humble man indeed.

Guess its the 2.0 then hahaha

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #1,971 of 75,346
  Monk is great for the price.The vocals definitely sounds fatter than normal. It takes the cake for its huge soundstage and warmish overall presentation.Monk doesn't hurt my ears at all.I own a couple of earphones but Monk is my favorite as it provides a non-fatiguing sound. For the price I paid,I gasped in astonishment when I heard it first.

Gasp in astonishment, same here. 
The reason I didn't mention price to performance ratio is that, I'm in hunt for a perfect earphone, value is not top priority for me.
If I can buy something suit my needs for 1000 dollar, I will be thrilled; if I can buy something suit my needs for 5 dollar, I will be thrilled, plus, I will be happy for saving money. but that plus happiness is not a goal for me.

That's why I criticized Monk on its shortcomings, but, hey, I was comparing it to something 50 times its price, that's unfair in the first place and in the end I preferred Monk! 

For the price I'd recommend it to everyone, regardless of the price, I'd highly recommend it, though it's by no means a perfect choice. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #1,972 of 75,346
  I tried to translate some of the chinese terms here using Google translate. I got these:

灵动2.0 = Smart 2.0
小刀 = Knife
虫哥 - Insect Brother

confused_face_2.gif
confused_face_2.gif

灵动2.0=Seahf 320ohm v2 (New Version)
小刀 (xiao dao)    = direct translation “small knife" who according to the baidu thread, is one of the individual directly or indirectly affiliated, or the founder of ventura electronics, which bought you the monk and asura and zen. "Small Knife" is sort of a nickname or what we chinese like to refers to others by i.e. I am slim and my friends would call me "thin guy".
 虫哥 (chong ge)   = direct translation "bug bro" who was once in the past, the creator of the monk, asura(?), zen 1.0 for ventura electronics before their partnership went south. "Bug bro" used to be the distributor for VE.

Hope this helps

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #1,973 of 75,346

小刀 (xiao dao)    = direct translation “small knife" who according to the baidu thread, is one of the individual directly or indirectly affiliated, or the founder of ventura electronics, which bought you the monk and asura and zen. "Small Knife" is sort of a nickname or what we chinese like to refers to others by i.e. I am slim and my friends would call me "thin guy".
 虫哥 (chong ge)   = direct translation "bug bro" who was once in the past, the creator of the monk, asura(?), zen 1.0 for ventura electronics before their partnership went south. "Bug bro" used to be the distributor for VE.

Hope this helps

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense :)

Jan 15, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #1,974 of 75,346
  Gasp in astonishment, same here. 
The reason I didn't mention price to performance ratio is that, I'm in hunt for a perfect earphone, value is not top priority for me.
If I can buy something suit my needs for 1000 dollar, I will be thrilled; if I can buy something suit my needs for 5 dollar, I will be thrilled, plus, I will be happy for saving money. but that plus happiness is not a goal for me.

That's why I criticized Monk on its shortcomings, but, hey, I was comparing it to something 50 times its price, that's unfair in the first place and in the end I preferred Monk! 

For the price I'd recommend it to everyone, regardless of the price, I'd highly recommend it, though it's by no means a perfect choice. 

Yeah,I concur. Whatever I am missing in Monk,I hope Zen 2.0 delivers.
beerchug.gif

Jan 15, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #1,976 of 75,346

Hope this helps

Okay, let's be more clear on this - 小刀 is @zhibli06 here in the forum  and he is the boss of VE. 虫哥 runs the factory that OEM'ed Zen 1.0 / Asura / Monk, but he also OEMs earbuds for other lesser known earbuds brand in China as well. He is sort of a well known manufacturer in the earbuds circle in China.

I am not really sure you can call 虫哥 the distributor for VE. For example, VSONIC recently starts to OEM for Pioneer in China, but you certainly won't refer VSONIC as Pioneer's distributor.

[EDIT] Okay, a bit of self-correction. I got it from good authority that 虫哥 isn't the actual OEM for VE. He was somewhat involved in the early VE models R&D, but not in any technical or manufacturing way. Can't really comment more on this but let just say something happened and they have to part their way very early on.

Jan 15, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #1,977 of 75,346
Okay, let's be more clear on this - 小刀 is @zhibli06 here in the forum  and he is the boss of VE. 虫哥 runs the factory that OEM'ed Zen 1.0 / Asura / Monk, but he also OEMs earbuds for other lesser known earbuds brand in China as well. He is sort of a well known manufacturer in the earbuds circle in China.

I am not really sure you can call 虫哥 the distributor for VE. For example, VSONIC recently starts to OEM for Pioneer in China, but you certainly won't refer VSONIC as Pioneer's distributor.
yes

Jan 15, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #1,979 of 75,346

Ah I see I see, then I must apologize for my mistake to zhibli06 as well as to other members for making this mistake. 

I am sorry I have mislead the members of this forum based on my personal understanding. I hope no offense was taken. If there was any, once again I deeply apologize. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back