Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 8, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #19,501 of 75,693

I think I have asked this before but not with the requirement for "low impedance" earbuds that would sound ok out of a smartphone, with a similar sig to HD650 or W4R? My favs the Sennheiser HD650 and Westone W4R are both warm, smooth, neutral, slightly mid-forward with the treble just a tiny bit rolled off. They have a very rich, easy, non-fatiguing easy to listen to.

The VE Zen was mentioned before, however, as you know... 320OHMS.

Edifier H180, Philips SHE3800

Sorry, forgot to list what I already have:

SHE3800
TY Hi-Z HP-32
P185
Monk+

And of those, my favs are Monk+, then SHE3800. Just looking for an upgrade.

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #19,502 of 75,693

I think I have asked this before but not with the requirement for "low impedance" earbuds that would sound ok out of a smartphone, with a similar sig to HD650 or W4R? My favs the HD650 and W4R are both warm, smooth, neutral, slightly mid-forward with the treble just a tiny bit rolled off. They have a very rich, easy, non-fatiguing easy to listen to.

Quote:

SHE3800
TY Hi-Z HP-32
P185
Monk+

I'm not too familiar with the headphones you mention, but the description - "warm, smooth, neutral, slightly mid-forward with the treble just a tiny bit rolled off" - could possibly be applied to the budget priced Qian39. My re-wired (balanced) set sounds better than stock, but the stock wiring just has a bit less Bass impact and air in the sound stage. Both sets of Qian39 have clear & detailed Midrange.  The Qian25 has more Bass, but the Midrange seems a bit recessed, compared to the Monk+ and Qian39.

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #19,504 of 75,693

I think I have asked this before but not with the requirement for "low impedance" earbuds that would sound ok out of a smartphone, with a similar sig to HD650 or W4R? My favs the Sennheiser HD650 and Westone W4R are both warm, smooth, neutral, slightly mid-forward with the treble just a tiny bit rolled off. They have a very rich, easy, non-fatiguing easy to listen to.

Quote:

SHE3800
TY Hi-Z HP-32
P185
Monk+

I'm not too familiar with the headphones you mention, but the description - "warm, smooth, neutral, slightly mid-forward with the treble just a tiny bit rolled off" - could possibly be applied to the budget priced Qian39. My re-wired (balanced) set sounds better than stock, but the stock wiring just has a bit less Bass impact and air in the sound stage. Both sets of Qian39 have clear & detailed Midrange.  The Qian25 has more Bass, but the Midrange seems a bit recessed, compared to the Monk+ and Qian39.

Your signature says you have Asura 2. Would that be within my description as well, and maybe better yet? That is another one I have considered. It is 150OHMS and maybe would be ok with smartphone?

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #19,505 of 75,693
Any earbuds that sound good without foam covers? I have 100 foam cover replacements but I only carry two around that's attached to my earbuds. Unfortunately I've only had experience with Apple Earpods in regards to foamless earbuds, and they're not very durable...

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #19,506 of 75,693
  Your signature says you have Asura 2. Would that be within my description as well, and maybe better yet? That is another one I have considered. It is 150OHMS and maybe would be ok with smartphone?

As a matter of fact - Yes!  The Asura 2.0 is a definite step up from the Monk+, especially the Bass impact and Midrange clarity & detail.

I've been sitting here today, enjoying my Asura 2.0 (connected to my PC / iFi Micro iDSD).

Just switched them over to my Nexus 5 phone (streaming ThistleRadio), and a comfortable listening level in my quiet living room is at ~40% on the volume control.  According to PhoneArena.com Benchmarks, the Nexus 5 has 0.36V of headphone output, and some phones have as much as 1.0V.

Apr 8, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #19,507 of 75,693

As a matter of fact - Yes!  The Asura 2.0 is a definite step up from the Monk+, especially the Bass impact and Midrange clarity & detail.

I've been sitting here today, enjoying my Asura 2.0 (connected to my PC / iFi Micro iDSD).

Just switched them over to my Nexus 5 phone (streaming ThistleRadio), and a comfortable listening level in my quiet living room is at ~40% on the volume control.  According to PhoneArena.com Benchmarks, the Nexus 5 has 0.36V of headphone output, and some phones have as much as 1.0V.

Cool!
Anyone want to sell their Asura 2.0? 
beerchug.gif

Apr 8, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #19,508 of 75,693
 According to PhoneArena.com Benchmarks, the Nexus 5 has 0.36V of headphone output, and some phones have as much as 1.0V.

I wonder if those figures still apply in Europe and the UK with the volume limits that are enforced.

Cool!
Anyone want to sell their Asura 2.0? :beerchug:

Not me, one of my favorite earbuds :-D

Apr 8, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #19,509 of 75,693
I wonder if those figures still apply in Europe and the UK with the volume limits that are enforced.
Not me, one of my favorite earbuds :-D

If those volume limits are software enforced, then rooting the Nexus 5 (like I've done), and replacing the OS, would remove the limits.

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #19,511 of 75,693
Philips SHE3800 and Edifier H180 sound almost the same as far as I can tell so don't bother buying H180 if you already have SHE3800. Though H180's cable is very soft and longer than the SHE3800.

Really? That's incredible. Some people on here told me otherwise so I bought a pair. I guess I wasted my money. Oh wells. I'm not a fan of SHE3800, it sounds like H180's are much better.

Apr 9, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #19,512 of 75,693
Really? That's incredible. Some people on here told me otherwise so I bought a pair. I guess I wasted my money. Oh wells. I'm not a fan of SHE3800, it sounds like H180's are much better.

Well that impression was out of the box. After burning them in for a few hours H180 sounded clearer and has more controlled bass. Now I prefer H180 over SHE3800 but they still share the similar signature.

Apr 9, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #19,514 of 75,693
Something thats an upgraded from budget buds and good all arounder, low impedance so can be easily played through phone would be shozy cygnus. If u dont care about budget go straight to campfred EDIT: or shozy BK (stardust)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back