Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 29, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #1,877 of 75,756
  Well, now that I'm finally getting a chance to sit down and try out my Christmas/Birthday present, I figure nothing would be better than one of my 3 favorite albums to listen to.  Right now I'm relaxing in my computer chair listening to my new Senn MX985 with a Gen 1 Fiio X5 playing Tom Petty's Wildflowers.  Beautiful album, and the earbuds certainly do it justice...  I have to admit I'm a true believer in Sennheiser's ability to make an amazing product.  My favorite full size, IEM and earbud are now all Sennheisers.  I swear, I could just recline and take a nap like this.

That's a great pairing indeed.

Dec 30, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #1,880 of 75,756
Still using the Fiio X5 as source, the MX985 proves to me at least it's greatest strength is with softer albums like Beck's Sea Changes or Peter Gabriel's OK.  This is by no means to imply it should only be relegated towards similar music.  Listening to Kenna's New Sacred Cow, it handled the album beautifully.  While I would have appreciated a little more quantity of bass, the qu ality was certainly there with enough quantity to accomplish a smile on my fairly unemotive face, so hopefully that conveys my appreciation for the earbuds so far.  Once I finish with Beck's album, I think I shall have to try it with something decidedly bass oriented just to see how it handles it.

Dec 31, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #1,884 of 75,756
Another year to enjoy earbuds!  (Dasetn Earbuds I do not Use Anymore Pictured)  
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,886 of 75,756
@ClieOS

I see in your profile that you also have the Beyerdynamic DP100... Could you please make a quick sound comparation to VE Monks and Edifier H180/H185 (specially regarding their bass and treble quantity and quality)?

Thanks

Dec 31, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #1,887 of 75,756
  @ClieOS

I see in your profile that you also have the Beyerdynamic DP100... Could you please make a quick sound comparation to VE Monks and Edifier H180/H185 (specially regarding their bass and treble quantity and quality)?

Thanks

DP100 is a solid earbud - warm sounding with a good vocal and doesn't have any particular strength or weakness. You can think of it as Monk with a slightly thicker mid range. Both Edifier will offer better upper extension and overall an more exciting sound, particularly H185 with a more V-shaped sound. Overall, I'll probably rate Edifier higher.

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #1,888 of 75,756

DP100 is a solid earbud - warm sounding with a good vocal and doesn't have any particular strength or weakness. You can think of it as Monk with a slightly thicker mid range. Both Edifier will offer better upper extension and overall an more exciting sound, particularly H185 with a more V-shaped sound. Overall, I'll probably rate Edifier higher.

Lots of thanks for your detailed report... Then one option less for me, it seems I'll have to jump to the IEM wagon if I want something more "radical" than H185 because I love their highs, but their bass isn't enough for me, maybe due to fit problems, as I just tried for the first time IEMs yestarday (a pair of Xiaomi Piston 3 and Xiaomi Hybrid, which I prefer over piston 3) and they have plenty of bass but I find them very congested with few highs for my taste.

Happy New Year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back