Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 21, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #17,928 of 75,235
Definitely not. I ordered $3.5 earbud with them (some rmei earbud). They were much better in terms of build quality but sadly one of the earbud speaker is no longer working so they are useless now :frowning2: But my point is that build quality and feel was surely much much better than Monk+.

you can't have everything with just $5. If you're after sound quality only, then here you go Monk+, with not so great Build quality and accessories.
BTW, Apple earbuds look cheap in comparison to Monk+ IMO.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #17,929 of 75,235
From my earbud collection AKG K319 has the best vocals and treble presentation. It's also the clearest sounding of all and made me hear some details in songs that I've never heard before with my other earbuds. Especially the treble is so addictive and never gets harsh or sibilant even on old recordings. The bass is on the thin side and lacking a bit omph for my tastes. It is more of a midbass than subbass but represent it in a very natural way and could be fixed to a degree by eq'ing the bass.

However they are huge and the volume slider on the cable tends to pull the earbuds as it is bulky and heavy but I've learned to live with that.

So I want to ask you guys if there is any earphone that sounds the same or better than AKG K319 with a bit more bass and comfort of course. Any recommendations?

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #17,930 of 75,235
  I can't speak for the RY4S as I never heard those, but I have 2 pairs of Qian39. While they have a decent amount of bass, the quality of bass is very low. Don't expect impact from beats, it's very loose. I like the Qian39, and I think it works well for older recordings of bands, gives bass guitars some meat, fleshes out the sound.I like to hear a decent subbass presence when listening to anything. With modern recordings I think Qian39 really falls flat, and also with electronic music. For bassy cheap earbuds, try HE150 sold by Penon. It's more, but still only 14$ and that includes a sturdy pouch. The bass quality is MUCH better than any other budget buds I tried, and I tried a few :). Out of the box they're nice, vocals a bit thin / recessed sounding but nice bass. If you EQ up the mids (I did by ear listening to music I was familiar with) - I gave it a good bump between 1 and 4K, and it fixed the big shortcoming of these buds for me. Also, if you really like bass, they take a LOT of bass EQ, you can really crank out decent subbass on these and they extend well. Quality of bass is much higher than Monk v1 (which had much better bass than Monk+ imo) and TY32v1, faster, more, and can be pushed WAY further before distorting. My EQ is kinda like this:       \_-_      

Really digging these, hope more people take the plunge because I'm curious if others hear the same I'm hearing (budget champ, though not for *everything*).

Agree with you on the Qian39 bass quality. I much prefer Qian25 and Philips SHE3800 on that area AND on overall sound presentation. RY4S should arrive soon, so I can compare them too.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #17,931 of 75,235
From my earbud collection AKG K319 has the best vocals and treble presentation. It's also the clearest sounding of all and made me hear some details in songs that I've never heard before with my other earbuds. Especially the treble is so addictive and never gets harsh or sibilant even on old recordings. The bass is on the thin side and lacking a bit omph for my tastes. It is more of a midbass than subbass but represent it in a very natural way and could be fixed to a degree by eq'ing the bass.

However they are huge and the volume slider on the cable tends to pull the earbuds as it is bulky and heavy but I've learned to live with that.

So I want to ask you guys if there is any earphone that sounds the same or better than AKG K319 with a bit more bass and comfort of course. Any recommendations?
k326? :joy:
16903380_1314695798624896_8592600352848025257_o.jpg

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #17,932 of 75,235
Definitely not. I ordered $3.5 earbud with them (some rmei earbud). They were much better in terms of build quality but sadly one of the earbud speaker is no longer working so they are useless now :frowning2: But my point is that build quality and feel was surely much much better than Monk+.

I have several Monks and I couldn't break any of them yet and they are all working. I think they are very robust and high quality when you consider the price and above. Easily worth $50-100 in my book. :wink:

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #17,934 of 75,235

Definitely not. I ordered $3.5 earbud with them (some rmei earbud). They were much better in terms of build quality but sadly one of the earbud speaker is no longer working so they are useless now
frown.gif
But my point is that build quality and feel was surely much much better than Monk+.

I have several Monks and I couldn't break any of them yet and they are all working. I think they are very robust and high quality when you consider the price and above. Easily worth $50-100 in my book.
wink.gif

The SQ of the Monk+ is debatable (most people like it), but I think we can agree that the build quality is superb for the price. The cable is thick copper, unlike the thin copper in other similar priced earbuds. The shell is pretty standard, and the plug is very decent. It works great with the finicky jack on my V10. I have 3 pairs. No problems. And the ones I gifted are still going strong. One of them gets rough use, used every day by a girl that only has that one pair of earbuds and an iPhone and Spotify in constant use!

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #17,935 of 75,235

I have several Monks and I couldn't break any of them yet and they are all working. I think they are very robust and high quality when you consider the price and above. Easily worth $50-100 in my book.
wink.gif

you can't have everything with just $5. If you're after sound quality only, then here you go Monk+, with not so great Build quality and accessories.
BTW, Apple earbuds look cheap in comparison to Monk+ IMO.

Agree that Monk+ has thick and strong wire and build. But when I talk about build quality, I mean by premium finish and comfort which is not there in Monk+. Apple Earbuds look and feel much premium than Monk+. And they are much comfortable in wearing. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #17,936 of 75,235

Agree that Monk+ has thick and strong wire and build. But when I talk about build quality, I mean by premium finish and comfort which is not there in Monk+. Apple Earbuds look and feel much premium than Monk+. And they are much comfortable in wearing. 

Each to their own imo... You like Apple Earbuds. Good for you :)

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #17,937 of 75,235

There's no point for me to argue with you about comfort as we most likely have different ears. Aestheticly, yes Apple Earbuds may look premium to you, not for me since Monk have that damn sexy Espresso colo. Fitting wise, Monk+ offer a wide variety of assories to help you with (wings, donut foam and normal foam) but at your own expense of course.

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #17,939 of 75,235
They are actually good but the one which is now coming (earpods as well as the one which was updated after Nano 2G or from iPhone 3G/4S) are not good in terms of sound.

Try Philips SHE3800 or Edifier H180. They are much smaller and more comfortable than the Monk+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back