Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Mar 1, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #1,081 of 1,242
Quote:
Hi clieos, i have 2 questions

1. how does re-400 stand sonic-wise compared to the re-272 ? if my 272 break down , should i go for the re-400 ? i see that sonic-wise the 272 is better (4.95 to 4.75) - i run them through an arrow 4g

2. how would you rate re-272 value-wise, if bought brand new for 210$ (and not 250$) ?

thanx , and keep up this great thread

RE272 is more of a reference flat IEM while RE400 is more musical and warm. If you have a preference to RE272's sound, I really don't see RE400 as an alternative. It will be more like an opposite compliment. The thing is, RE272 can still scale up a bit with the right amping (balanced, in this case), but RE400 really doesn't scale up with amping. But on the other hand, RE400 tends to be really forgiving about the source. If I were to find an alternative for RE272, I would think ER4S (again, with the right amp) is more suitable.

$210 is better in value of course, but the tricky part to determine RE272 is not so much on its price (unless it drops down to $150), but having a good source to drive it to its best.

Mar 1, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #1,083 of 1,242
Quote:
So re400 not analytical at all?

No, it doesn't fit my definition of what an analytical IEM should sound like.

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #1,084 of 1,242
thanx for the answer

i am using my 272 with the J3 , would you consider it an OK source ?

Quote:

RE272 is more of a reference flat IEM while RE400 is more musical and warm. If you have a preference to RE272's sound, I really don't see RE400 as an alternative. It will be more like an opposite compliment. The thing is, RE272 can still scale up a bit with the right amping (balanced, in this case), but RE400 really doesn't scale up with amping. But on the other hand, RE400 tends to be really forgiving about the source. If I were to find an alternative for RE272, I would think ER4S (again, with the right amp) is more suitable.

$210 is better in value of course, but the tricky part to determine RE272 is not so much on its price (unless it drops down to $150), but having a good source to drive it to its best.

Mar 2, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #1,085 of 1,242
Quote:

thanx for the answer

i am using my 272 with the J3 , would you consider it an OK source ?

I don't know. Cowon is impossible to find locally so I never listen to one.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #1,087 of 1,242
Well then , after doing some research I find myself still wondering what kind of IEM would be right for me. 
Let me describe a few points so you may be able to help me. 

I live  a moderately big city, so while cycling, I get surrounded by alot of different sounds. My previous IEM were Sennheiser CX300-II which I liked because of my musical preference:

I tend to listen to more bass oriented music, like house, electro, techno (so in general; Bingo Players, Carl Cox, David Guetta, Afrojack, Avicii) , but sometimes oldies like the Beatles or the Rolling Stones too. I enjoy deep bass sounds, but I don' want it to spoil the rest of the music, while listening to RHCP for example. 
I have a budget of around 45 Euros, so I'd say ~60 US $. 
I've already searched the forums, and I've already found some good ones (I think):

VSonic VC02
Brainwavz M2

Brainwavz M5
VSonic GR02 Bass Edition
Astrotec AM-90
SoundMAGIC E10/ E30/ EH11/ P30
Sennheiser CX400-II
JVC-HA-FX80
Sony MH1C

And obviously the ones discussed in this topic. Don't want to just follow the current hype, I want some recommendation for something great bang/buck.

Best thing for me would be something that covers a wide array electronic type muscial styles e.a. trance, techno, deep house, latin house etc.

Sound signature: Not sure what the right glossary is, but I enjoy deep bass sounds, although I dont want it to 'soften' the vocals. I think the right term is wide (?), rich, and most of all not flat. Also, prefer Bassy and something with at least a hint of a good body (obviously not really the deal within this price range). All in all, prefer to have a budget sound with something Warm
Source: HTC One S (like the One X, with Beats software)
Usage: Cycling trough a busy city, average day school, maybe homework. Short listening periods mostly.
Must-haves: Some isolation at least. Preferably a warm and/or bassy sound. Warm is more important over bassy though.

Also, I am not such a big audiofile like you, the reader may be. Forgive me for being a newbie please :)

If you could give me some advice, or maybe some other headphones for me to research, thad would be just great! 

p.s. sorry if I had any grammar mistakes.

Mar 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #1,089 of 1,242
Quote:
... If you could give me some advice, or maybe some other headphones for me to research, thad would be just great!

MH1C should be my first recommendation, but the cable design might not be great for riding bicycle, especially if you don't use shirt clip . M5 will almost fit but it would seem there might be some QC issue so I am not going to recommend it to you now, just to be safe. If you don't think you will like MH1C cable, AM-90 will be my second recommendation.

Quote:
Hmmm I wonder how the sound for RE400 is like compared to BA200

the description for both is really similar

Yes, they do share some degree of similarity. BA200 is the better of the two, offering greater resolution and richer tone, also slightly better extension at both ends. Overall, it is more musical as well.

Mar 9, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #1,090 of 1,242
Still waiting patiently on your views about Yamaha EPH-100.

Surely they will get a Sonic Diamond award. 
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #1,091 of 1,242
Quote:
Still waiting patiently on your views about Yamaha EPH-100.

Surely they will get a Sonic Diamond award. 
tongue.gif

Sorry, I am swamped by the amount of gears that I need to review and must give priority to samples before my own purchase.

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #1,092 of 1,242
Quote:

Sorry, I am swamped by the amount of gears that I need to review and must give priority to samples before my own purchase.

Ah I see mate!

So you actually bought the Yams for personal use?

Thats a good sign. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #1,093 of 1,242
Quote:

Ah I see mate!

So you actually bought the Yams for personal use?

Thats a good sign. 
biggrin.gif

I don't mention about this much but people tend to assume most, if not all of my reviews are based on free samples, which isn't true. I still spend USD$3~5K a year on gears regularly and I don't resale. Well, I like to collect stuffs. No a good hobby to have....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back