Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Apr 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #572 of 1,242
actually they ship them from HK

Thanks for the correction. Apparently I mistake it as another company of the same name.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #573 of 1,242
Yea on the R-50's box it says the company is out of California but the IEM's shipped from Hong Kong.  I have to say it was the fastest free shipping I've ever had coming from anywhere, it took only 4 days to get from HK to my place just out side of Dallas.

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #575 of 1,242
VSONIC GR01, GR02 Bass Edition, GR06 and GR99 added.

GR06.jpg

Mid 13.    VSONIC GR06 (link)
Very warm and mid centric sound, GR06’s strength is in presenting texture and an upfront vocal. In a way, it shares a large portion of its sound signature with GR04, but much more upfront in the vocal and thus makes it less versatile when it comes to genre compatibility. Though a strong mid centric sound, the bass is by no mean weak in anyway. It still hits deep and impactful, but just not in the center of the whole presentation. Mid is where GR06 shines, with a lot sweetness and texture. Treble actually extends slightly further than GR04, but also feels slightly more busy as well. While it is crisp, it is not as clear as it can be as it can be slightly grainy at time. Soundstage is, as expected, sub-par when compared to other warm sounding IEM of the same caliber, like MEElec A151 and Creative In-Ear2. But in exchange, GR06 offers more texture and detail to the mid.
Pro: Accessories.
Con: Lack of chin slider.

GR01.jpg

Warm+Sweet 2.    VSONIC GR01 (link)
The other flagship from VSONIC. Warm and sweet sound, much like UE700. Treble extends just a hair better than UE700 and doesn’t feel lacking air. Very well behaved without any emphasis on brightness, aggressiveness or graininess while keeping a delicate balance between the warm+sweet house-sound and offering great amount of detail. However, analytical listener who are used to brightness probably won’t find it enough. Mid is clean and detail, slightly on the warm side but neither particularly upfront nor recessed. If anything, it has better texture and fullness than that of DBA-02 or B2, and even slightly ahead of UE700. Bass reaches down quite deep with decent quality but a little short on quantity. It comes slightly short in impact when compared to UE700 and needless to say, far less in amount and depth than that of GR07. Though the amount of bass isn’t much more than DBA-02/B2, it does have better texture and decay that gives it a more solid body. Soundstage is quite good. Not as wide as GR07 but has a better resolution and layer. Overall, the amounts of bass, mid and treble are in good balance and give GR01 a warm and slightly sweet sound signature that is tilting toward being neutral in presentation. It doesn’t quite have the kind of fun and dynamic sound that is found on lower end VSONIC. However, it is much refined – tight, detail, accurate, and very well controlled with a right mix of technicality and musicality, showing how careful tuning can push the limitation of the TWFK drivers. While GR01 does sound better than most TWFK based IEM, it doesn’t surpass GR07 by much – more polite and more balance technically, GR01 represents another highly tuned IEM that can be compared face to face to GR07 without coming short. Where GR07 excels in texture, bass and soundstage, GR01 excels in detail, control and linearity in frequency response.
Pro: Best sounding TWFK dual driver yet. Accessories.
Con: Slightly longish body. More expensive compared to other TWFK. Mcrophonics.

GR02B.jpg

Warm+ Sweet 27.    VSONIC GR02 Bass Edition (link)
Somewhat misleading name that would trick a person to think that it is the old GR02 with more bass.  While it is true that the IEM does have more bass than the regular GR02, the improvement in bass is in offering more body and texture. The overall depth and impact are rather similar between the two. Abundant in bass? Yes, but not bass monster just yet. The biggest improvement comes in a more upfront mid and a well extended treble, giving it the same GR99’s sound signature that is warm and fairly equal in all frequencies. The improvements from GR99 to GR02 Bass Edition are better dynamic, richer tone and overall better detail. Nothing night and day, but still noticeable in direct comparison. This makes it almost as good sounding as GR04 even though it lacks a single big wow factor.  Soundstage is decent as well, just nothing special to write home about. Like GR99, the versatility of the sound and lack of any particular weakness are GR02 Bass Edition’s greatest strength.
Pro: Price. Accessories.
Con: None.

GR99.jpg

Warm+Sweet 30.    VSONIC GR99 (link)
In comparison to R02 Pro II, the new GR99 is almost just as good – less warm and tighter in bass, more balance in overall presentation and better extended in treble. In short, it has a good portion of everything but not excessive in any.  It still has the VSONIC’s warm and sweet house-sound, just less colored while still maintains a smooth and easy-going nature. Soundstage is quite decent, neither particular wide nor feel the lack of. Less fun sounding than R02 Pro II while technically more accurate, the great strength of GR99 is perhaps its lack of real weakness. For under $30 and a performance that ties R02 Pro II and DUNU Trident, you can hardly ask for more.
Pro: Price. Accessories.
Con: Microphonics.

Apr 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #577 of 1,242
Hey ClieOS, thanks for your untiring effort in producing these reviews!

I have a question, you wouldn't happen to know what kind of comply foam tips fit the Vsonic GR06 (s/t-400?) ?

Edit: Quote:
VSONIC has an odd diameter nozzle so the Comply 400 series might be a bit too loose

Alright, thanks. Whoomp ! has then nothing with bass? :D There is also the t130 for the Phonaks, would this work?

Apr 24, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #578 of 1,242
VSONIC has an odd diameter nozzle so the Comply 400 series might be a bit too loose. The safer choice is the T140 for Apple dual driver IEM, or else known as the Whoomp! foam. Yeah, don't really why they name ti that way.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #579 of 1,242
T130 probably will fit if you push it hard enough, though I won't recommend it.

Apr 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #580 of 1,242
Excellent Reviews ClieOS,  I got the GR99 today and I'm blown away. I did a little take on them earlier. I have no idea how Vsonic comes out with such a great set for so little $,
I'm sure these will become the FOTM quite soon, and they should.  They are that good imo.  These were made for Rock music...I'm so impressed by the Bass on these. It has that perfect punch that works well with Rock..Imo the Bass is even better then the 06's...It has more weight that the 06 is missing...If the 06 had this Bass depth it would be perfect...Even tho imo the 06 can't be beaten by anything under $120...I was going to buy the 02 Bass edition but I see no need...The 99's have it just right....Now I have to just tell myself the 07's are worth the jump over the 06's..LOL

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #582 of 1,242
Indeed, way too many interesting choices in the market these days I can hardly keep up.

Apr 26, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #583 of 1,242
Hey there! Nice review! Btw I'm looking for 2 birthday presents, and I have narrowed down my choices to the trident and Vsocinc GR99 and GR02 (bass edition) one of my friend likes rock music, while the other listens to all genre. So which one would be a suitable choice for them? Out of the 3 choices

Apr 26, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #584 of 1,242
GR02 bass edition is the most versatile of them all, so that's what I will go for.

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #585 of 1,242
GR02 bass edition is the most versatile of them all, so that's what I will go for.

So you recommend I get 2 of them? For both my friends?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back