Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Mar 8, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #496 of 1,242

Recommendation for IEMs that are basically ER4Ps with more bass?

I have ER4Ps and I love their presentation.
I love how you can pick apart instruments and easily separate the snare from the kick from the high hat.
I love how "holographic" everything is, and how you can hear that the strings are in the far right corner of the room and the vocalist is right in front of you.
I love how you can hear every detail like the coarseness of a singers voice.
I love how a track that's sibilant on my D2000s aren't sibilant on the Etys, yet they certainly have sparkle.
I love how real everything sounds.
I just don't like that they're bass light.

I also have Atrio's which I thought would replace my Ety's. They have the bass I love, but the presentation is more smashed together. It's harder to separate sounds, and everything seems sort of smeared together. So I've been reverting to my Ety's lately.

Can you suggest a couple of IEMs that have the same presentation and sound signature as the ER4s, but with more bass?

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #497 of 1,242
The few choices that pop into my head are:

Phonak PFE111 - slightly more bassy than ER4P, but not as analytical as ER4S (in between the 4P and 4S). Has much better soundstage than either of the two.

HiSound Audio Golden Crystal - more aggressive and hash, might not be your liking but do has a lot more bass.

HifiMan RE272 - Definitely a good match over ER4S when balanced driven, analytical but with a more fluid presentation than the BA based ER4. The problem is the whole combo (RE272 + balanced amp) might be a bit too expensive.

ER4P + 4S adapter and bass boost amp - in many way, it is hard to find an exact upgrade over ER4P, so my personally solution is to turn 4P to 4S and use a portable amp with bass boost, which can be cheaper than buying a new IEM and offer really good sound. Either an FiiO E11 or JDS cmoyBB with an eBay P-to-S adapter should cost you less than $100. You can get even better result if you can push teh amp budget to $200.

Mar 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #499 of 1,242

Quote:
Can you give a brief comparison between the TDK BA100 and TDK EB950? I can obtain either one for about $55-60 and wonder which one would suit me better.

Thanks in advance!

BA100 is mid centric, warm, lush and a little thick. EB950 is warm and sweet with a rather fun and dynamic sound. Both has a smooth, slightly roll off treble. Technically, I'll say BA100 is more accurate. Preference wise however, I prefer EB950 over BA100 simply because EB950 is much fun and enjoyable to listen to. Between the two, I'll recommend EB950 myself.

Mar 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #500 of 1,242
clieos

a151 vs gr06 ??
for the same price, which would be better? from what i know, both have good build quality and seem to be comofortable and easy to use over the ear.
isolation is much better with the a151 , right?

and, in SQ ? 

thanks

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #501 of 1,242

Quote:
clieos

a151 vs gr06 ??
for the same price, which would be better? from what i know, both have good build quality and seem to be comofortable and easy to use over the ear.
isolation is much better with the a151 , right?

and, in SQ ? 

thanks

A151 is more mid centric while GR06 is more warm+sweet, but essential they are around the same level of SQ. I am more inclined to recommend GR06 because I find it more versatile on its sound signature. Isolation wise, A151 is ahead but not by much.

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #503 of 1,242

Quote:
which one has better detail ?  more treble? and speed?

GR06 has better detail and treble, A151 has slightly better speed.

Mar 17, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #505 of 1,242
No. Unfortunately I have not heard the DBA-02 MKII myself, not have any plan on it so far.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #508 of 1,242

Quote:
Which one for late night, in bed, might fall asleep, LiStening to space, jazz or classical?
GR07
phonak 112
need precise soundstage, presence, rich sound.
thanks

Phonak will be my first choice.

Quote:
Forgot to add, isolation is important also, especially sound leaking out.
How Does the dynamic driver versus BA affect this or the other parameters?

Isolation has more to do with how the housing is designed rather than what driver it uses - however, most dynamic driver need some venting to get the best performance so they usually offer less isolation. On the other hand, most BA work best with a fully sealed housing so in many cases they offer better isolation - this is just a generalization, sometime you can find dynamic IEM with better isolation than BA base IEM.

Anyway, GR07 and PFE112 both offer decent level of isolation, but far from the best.

Mar 17, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #509 of 1,242
Hi there, thank you for your reviews. Guided me into the wonderful world of IEMs years ago! Do you have an plans to review Yamaha EPH-100? And regarding the GR-06, do you think it has one of the highest overall value for its cost? Before deminishing returns hits.

Mar 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #510 of 1,242
If I can find the Yamaha locally, I won't mind reviewing it. However, finding one (especially on the right price) won't be easy. Yes, I do think GR06 has one of the highest value in its price bucket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back