Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Feb 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #469 of 1,242

Quote:
I know the party line about favorite high end universals, but tell me anyway. What's your current favorite?

I generally prefer an analytical sound signature but as far as favorite goes, I usually don't consider myself to have a specific model. I am trying to make a point not to listen to one particular IEM for too long so usually I rotate different models throughout the week to have a different taste of everything.

Quote:
ClieOS, do you cogitate a review about the Monoprice MEP-933 / 8320?

Not at this point. I am trying to finish the reviews at hand before adding more to the pile. Though an interesting point I think most people missed - the Monoprice 8320 is the flagship of OVC China released about 2 years ago. Monoprice is probably selling it as an OEM product from OVC (which is what OVC main business is)

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #470 of 1,242
Question for you.

Are you aware of a universal that can best the RE262's midrange? If so, I want to buy it!
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #471 of 1,242

Quote:
Question for you.

Are you aware of a universal that can best the RE262's midrange? If so, I want to buy it!
biggrin.gif

I know universal with thicker mid (UM3X, W4) and more laid back presentation (SM3), but the lushness and musicality are unique to RE262. At this point, I have to say don't really know of a RE262-upgrade yet.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #472 of 1,242
Quote:
I know universal with thicker mid (UM3X, W4) and more laid back presentation (SM3), but the lushness and musicality are unique to RE262. At this point, I have to say don't really know of a RE262-upgrade yet.

Thanks for the reply.

At first listen, I knew they were something special. And the only reason why I asked if there was something better, because the RE262 didn't fit my stubborn ears, unfortunately. Tried all the tips I could get my hands on with no success. But one day, I'll have to get them again regardless. Very surprising they are only $150.

Feb 18, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #473 of 1,242

Quote:
Xcape has been discontinued for over a year now - not to say you can never find any new-old-stock on it, but I think the chance is slim and warranty might be an issue in the long run, plus it is hard to know whether it is real or not.

I'll say Consonance is better than CC51. Since you can find them on local store, I guess you can ask them if you can audition them or not as they might have demo pair. It is always better to judge for your own ears.

Since ljokerl mentioned Consonance as bass-heavy mid-range (and I have enough bass-heavy from my and my friends' cans), I decided to take CC51.
Just bought them for really cheap price from someone in this forum, he offered me after seen my post here XD
The quantity of each sections fit what I want them to be =)
The only problem I have is the size, so it needs some effort to insert them deeper since the size is around the same as my ear canal. But overall it's still comfortable to use.

I'm really glad this time, the thread didn't only help me to find my desired IEM, but also good deal. =)
Many thanks to you ClieOS.
Regards.

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #474 of 1,242
ClieOS hope you don't mind the silly question but considering you've listened to so many IEM's I thought you would be the right person to ask. In your opinion what are the top 5 most capable neutral IEM's out there? I personally own and like the MDR EX600 and I've read enough rave reviews concerning it's bigger brothers the Sony MDR EX1000 and MDR EX7550(aka EX800ST). Whats your opinion on the matter and are there a few neutral IEM's out there from less well known companies that deserve a listen?

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #475 of 1,242

Quote:
ClieOS hope you don't mind the silly question but considering you've listened to so many IEM's I thought you would be the right person to ask. In your opinion what are the top 5 most capable neutral IEM's out there? I personally own and like the MDR EX600 and I've read enough rave reviews concerning it's bigger brothers the Sony MDR EX1000 and MDR EX7550(aka EX800ST). Whats your opinion on the matter and are there a few neutral IEM's out there from less well known companies that deserve a listen?

Neutral as in IEM like ER4S with an analytical sound signature or neutral in more general term (no extreme FR curve)? I assume you mean the later with the mention of EX600. In that case, I'll have to say the top 5 more capable IEM I have heard, at least as far as universal is concerned, should be RE272 (balanced driven), K2 SP, W4, CK100 Pro... can't think of any one particular that I will put on the last spot.

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #476 of 1,242

Quote:
Neutral as in IEM like ER4S with an analytical sound signature or neutral in more general term (no extreme FR curve)? I assume you mean the later with the mention of EX600. In that case, I'll have to say the top 5 more capable IEM I have heard, at least as far as universal is concerned, should be RE272 (balanced driven), K2 SP, W4, CK100 Pro... can't think of any one particular that I will put on the last spot.

GR07?

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #477 of 1,242

Quote:

Plus UM3X, TDK BA200, EX1000.... there are a few choices, but the voice in my head keep telling me they haven't reached that level yet. I guess instead of saying 'I can't think of any particular', it is closer to 'I can't think of why one of them deserves that place better than the others'. So close yet so far.

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #478 of 1,242

Quote:
Plus UM3X, TDK BA200, EX1000.... there are a few choices, but the voice in my head keep telling me they haven't reached that level yet. I guess instead of saying 'I can't think of any particular', it is closer to 'I can't think of why one of them deserves that place better than the others'. So close yet so far.

Ah, ok.

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #480 of 1,242
I wanted to ask the same question to ClieOS...

What might you recommend, along the lines of the GR07 being my favourite, as a sidegrade comparable to it? I'm thinking something a little more edgy with a touch more presence in the treble. The GR07 really are perfect for me, just wondering what you might have to say. I definitely do not like recessed mids!

The headphones I own are listed in my signature

Users who are viewing this thread

Back