Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Oct 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #872 of 1,242
OK. quick comparison questions.

subbass of the mh1c versus fxt90 (i know it's still under review but just in case)?

and

midrange of the mh1c versus re262?

and

treble of the mh1c versus gr07?

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #873 of 1,242
Quick answer then :0

Subass (both quantity and quality) MH1C > FXT90

Mid range (quantity) MH1C > RE262; (quality) RE262 > MH1C

Treble (quantity) GR07 > MH1C; (quality) GR07 = MH1C

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #874 of 1,242
Quote:
Quick answer then :0
Subass (both quantity and quality) MH1C > FXT90
Treble (quantity) GR07 > MH1C; (quality) GR07 = MH1C

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

my mouth gaped four times as I read that.
one for each line. and a fourth after imagining them in my ears.
sounds like "cheap" perfection.

should be arriving for me in the next two days.
I shall comment along with the others.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #876 of 1,242
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
my mouth gaped four times as I read that.
one for each line. and a fourth after imagining them in my ears.
sounds like "cheap" perfection.

should be arriving for me in the next two days.

I shall comment along with the others.

Don't get too excited. Having more quantity doesn't really means anything. You can have a IEM with huge quantity of everything but still sound really bad.

seems you've been mentioning TDK IE800 a lot lately.. too bad it isn't in your review yet.. how would you compare IE800 with EB950?

... mainly because it is the best dual dynamic I have ever heard and on par with BA200 on overall SQ. That should give you an idea how much better I think it is when compared to EB950.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #877 of 1,242
Hi ClieOS

I was actually asking about IE800 and EB950 rather than EB950 and BA200. BA200 is a lil bit out of my budget right now I'm considering the Soundmagic E30 But seems that EB950 is in the same price range over here. I'm considering a chaeper ATH CK303 until I can save up for a BA200 as well. I like having some options :)

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #878 of 1,242
Quote:
Don't get too excited. Having more quantity doesn't really means anything. You can have a IEM with huge quantity of everything but still sound really bad.

which is the question I actually thought about right after that last one.
how much of a difference in midrange quality are we talking about here?
the other ones I'm not too strict about.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #879 of 1,242
Hi ClieOS

I was actually asking about IE800 and EB950 rather than EB950 and BA200. BA200 is a lil bit out of my budget right now I'm considering the Soundmagic E30 But seems that EB950 is in the same price range over here. I'm considering a chaeper ATH CK303 until I can save up for a BA200 as well. I like having some options :)

Well, if IE800 = BA200 in quality, and BA200 > EB950 in quality, then obviously it must be IE800 > EB950, right?

Anyway, IE800 is the same price as BA200, so they are both above your budget. As for the rest of the comparison, it is all in the first page.

which is the question I actually thought about right after that last one.
how much of a difference in midrange quality are we talking about here?
the other ones I'm not too strict about.

It is not easy to say exactly a number or percentage that can instantly tell you the difference in audio quality. But the part that RE262 does right in vocal is its effortlessness in reproducing the vocal. Basically it makes vocal sounds real, as in a live performance. MH1C might offer more, but it is more forward - and unless your idea of a live performance is the singer singing down into your ear, I don't think you will find its vocal being better than RE262. The difficult of getting the vocal right, to me, is not about forwardness / sweetness, but also getting the space between the listener and the singer right. That's where RE262 outshine many other IEM.

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #880 of 1,242
Quote:

I have to disagree with you on this. The mids of the MH1C are pushed way back compared to the RE262, especially at lower volumes.

After an A/B with the GR07, I'm also picking up more details in the treble from the 07...though I think I'd listen to the MH1C more due to its smoother signature.

I agree with you on the FXT90 though. The MH1 is easily better in every way

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #881 of 1,242
I have to disagree with you on this. The mids of the MH1C are pushed way back compared to the RE262, especially at lower volumes.

You might be right. At lower volume, RE262's vocal is indeed more pronouns than MH1, especially when unamped.

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #882 of 1,242
I went ahead and removed the filter of the MH1C. With a needle I gently pulled out the white filter. Behind the filter there's a long piece of foam attached.
I cut of the white filter and a little part of the black foam and placed the remaining foam back in the nozzle. 

This modification brings the mids a bit more forward and gives vocals a tonality closer to the RE262. Soundstage is increased and also more treble presence. Bass impact is affected as well.  I like the MH1C it even better this way. Without any foam in the nozzle the treble can sound a bit harsh.  So the MH1C can this way be tuned towards, maybe, a more preferred sound (individual take, of course) by using different amount of foam or using different types of foam/density.  

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #883 of 1,242
Quote:
I went ahead and removed the filter of the MH1C. With a needle I gently pulled out the white filter. Behind the filter there's a long piece of foam attached.
I cut of the white filter and a little part of the black foam and placed the remaining foam back in the nozzle. 

This modification brings the mids a bit more forward and gives vocals a tonality closer to the RE262. Soundstage is increased and also more treble presence. Bass impact is affected as well.  I like the MH1C it even better this way. Without any foam in the nozzle the treble can sound a bit harsh.  So the MH1C can this way be tuned towards, maybe, a more preferred sound (individual take, of course) by using different amount of foam or using different types of foam/density.  

It has begun! So these are cheap, widely avaliable, sound very good in stock form and on top of all that, they can be modded to tune the sound too! Anyone want more from these?
popcorn.gif

You say the bass impact is affected to, but in which way? Is it reduced or enhanced?

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #884 of 1,242
Quote:

It has begun! So these are cheap, widely avaliable, sound very good in stock form and on top of all that, they can be modded to tune the sound too! Anyone want more from these?
popcorn.gif

You say the bass impact is affected to, but in which way? Is it reduced or enhanced?

That's the part I'm not quite sure about yet. I think it's enhanced. The other changes were more noticeable, but I'm waiting for a second pair so I can compare the changes directly and help me fine tune them. Next thing is to find out if they can be recabled 
wink_face.gif

Oct 31, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #885 of 1,242
Hmm..thats a real nice thing, more treble would indeed make this a perfect IEM imo. Thanks for the info, Im gonna order another one of these and play around with removing the filter. Though clieos said it could damage the driver when sweat goes in, so Im gonna make it for home usage..will report how it goes soon.

Another reason Im ordering it that I decided to try a white IEM after having all the black IEMs till now and these get dirty like anything with normal usage..My recommendation for those buying new ones would be to NEVER buy a white version of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back