Bose Headphones
May 16, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #32 of 60
The MS-1 is a good suggestion. As is the Grado SR-60. The problem with a lot of higher-end cans, like the Senn HD580, is that they'll need amplification. The $150 price tag of the HD580 doesn't include the $100 minimum price-tag of a non-DIY amp (amps can get really expensive really quick as you go up the ladder), and the cost of a good source, which can range from a good cheap soundcard (Chaintech AV-710) to CD players costing thousands. Simply put, this headphone is made for good gear. You can, of course, use it with anything, but you'll want to upgrade once you have a pair... and that's where all the extra costs come in.

The SR-60 sounds pretty good out of just about anything. As does the MS-1, though it's more selective. That's one main point in favor of these over something like the HD580, which is technically superior.

I'll throw in some more recommendations:

Audio-Technica ATH-A500 and A900 - very big, very comfy, good sounding, easy to drive, and closed/isolating. They're good starter cans.

Sony MDR-V6. This is not the V600! The V6 is a staple of studios worldwide, and for a good reason. It gives you pretty good sound, good isolation, good durability, all at a very reasonable price.

Beyerdynamic DT770. If you like rap, these will be great. Massive bass out of these suckers, but without sacrificing overall quality. They need an amp, but you can get by with a powerful headphone jack in your home receiver. If all you have is an ipod, then you'll need an amp for them. They're also closed, isolating, and very comfy.

Sennheiser HD595 - the 50 ohm version of these headphones can be driven fairly easily unamped, which is why I'd suggest these over the 580 if you're not planning to use an amp at all. They are very clear but warm and pleasant sounding.

And, if you're planning to go all the way, then yes, the HD580, together with a good amp (Portaphile V2 would be my choice) and a good sound card (E-MU 0404) would be a great rig that will last you for years. The 580's are the entry point into real hi-fi. But, if you're planning to go with these, get ready to spend a lot more than $150. The good news is that you don't have to lay it out all at once, and can assemble your rig piece by piece. The bad news is that the HD580's won't give you their best sound until you do.

[Edit: Oh yes, how could I forget... Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!
very_evil_smiley.gif
]

May 16, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #33 of 60
The thing that you have overlooked is, bose is by far the best at marketing. IE their headphones tend to look very good in pictures. Wait til you hold some triports in your hands, they feel like $25 phones, and the QC2's feel like $50 or so. Even grado sr-60's have better build quality and they are known around the forum for a relatively low build quality.

I think senn HD 555 is a great phone for the money (pretty classy looking too, IMO), HD 485 is supposed to be pretty good if you wanna go cheaper. HD 580 is undoubtedly the best headphone in that price range but you won't get the most out of them unless you plan to get an amp. Also senn's build quality (and sound quality) absolutely destroys that of bose's. Good luck.

edit: took a while to post that, catscratch made most of my points for me.
wink.gif

And that eBay auction looks pretty legit, some people would rather not buy "b stock" but I don't think it matters.

May 16, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #34 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by sinafl
does the sennheiser 580 look as ugly in person as it does in the online pic?

uglier.

May 16, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #35 of 60
Check out my sig for the convertor link, and I did you want an open can? Not that the Senns arn't good they are, but you probably won't be able to listen to them in the library.

May 16, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #36 of 60
You might want to look into the first Audio Technica ES7 headphone listed in that Bose Triport thread that they're sending you to. I think it's really a Bose Triport "done right" in many ways. It is, to some degree a "closed Grado." That is to say, it a similar signature to me. Granted, I don't think it sounds as good as a Grado, but it IS more stylish (to some) and a closed back design. Your sound won't leak, and you'll get a little isolation from the outside world.

In your price range too:
http://www.audiocubes.com/product/Au...eadphones.html

Of course, if you don't mind an open back headphone (sound leaks in and out) go Grado... an SR60 should suit you real nice.

May 16, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #38 of 60
Quote:

The Hd555 looks really good.. I might just buy that. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

rock/rap is better on the SR60s than the HD555, but whatever...

but if you do want to buy the HD555, you should check out the HD650s, sennheiser's top of the line model right now (can be had for around the same price as the bose quietcomfort 2)

May 16, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #39 of 60
I didn't think the SR-60 looked especially good and it did feel a little flimsy in my hands, hence not the best headphone on those counts.

However, I have seen the Bose Triport in person as well, and it did not look that cool either. And while I have never heard of anyone breaking the SR-60's headband the same cannot be said of the Triport.

May 16, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgm
Hmm... am I the only one that doesn't care if I look like a dork with big, nerdy headphones on?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll join that club. People think I stepped out of a 1980s film with my SR-60s and think they're really old classic headphones. Which they are design-wise but not 20 years old.

May 16, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #42 of 60
Try to audition before you buy

No one can predict which headphones you'll like and the fact that you prob don't even know what you like compounds the problem.

I was very satisfied with the Triport sound quality.
Broken headband Triports represent one of the best deals in audio IMHO. You can definitely get one for very cheap.

The only way to know is to audition.

Shure IEMs and Bose headphones are the easiest to audition. Grado/Senn/AKG are a bit harder. If you live in a big city, find a head-fier and set up a listening meet.

May 16, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

wow thanks for the responses guys. So if I were to go with the grado's what would be the best grado brand that is close to the Bose price range?

Get alessandro MS-1, even the grado sr125 suck compare to it albeit only abit.
otherwise, 105-110 USD, and get yourself audiotechnica ad700

May 16, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #45 of 60
[size=medium]Dude...
Dude, dude, dude...[/size]

Are you about finding a pair of cans that match your sound preferences and musical tastes, or are you about trying to look hip 'cuz you're wearing the latest bling-bling from the masters of hypnotic marketing: Bose?

I don't give a shee-it what I look like as long as I'm wearing cans that are comfortable and sound great.

Unlike some here, I won't wear my DT 770 when I'm out and about, but that isn't because I'm embarrased of having those huge things hugging my melon. Mainly, it is because they aren't very portable, and I'd much rather lug my Shure E4c's or my Koss KSC-75s around. Common sense, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back