Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 29, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #21,197 of 75,405
I also think that Vido is good for less than $5, but many $10-$20 earbuds are much better, so I won't use Vido.
They have a lot of bass energy and it's fun for that, but lacks a lot of detail when compared to others.
It's also a matter of taste, maybe it's very good for ppl that likes bass, but not to my taste, I'll try to mod them.
To my taste, I always find some kind of small defect in the <$5 range, but in the $10-$20 range I can find a lot of models that I like a lot.

That is fair enough. Out of curiosity which earbuds in the $10 - $20 range do you find have a much higher detail level compared to a Vido? Personally I don't find the Vido to be all that lacking in the detail department given the sound signature. I think a lot of the time these things do come down to preference of sound signature, and I admit I do like the bass in the Vido.

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #21,198 of 75,405
Actually it is indeed liebesleid, means to refer to 'Love's Sorrow', the old musical piece written by Fritz Kreisler.

Anyway, here it is:

I only spent a couple of minutes on it and now it is on burn-in. I can't give any detailed impression yet but rest assure that there isn't nothing sorrow about its sound. This is a true ToTL, Champion level earbud.

You means 'liebesleid'? I haven't burnt it in nor have a good listening yet. Will do in a couple of days.

Will post tomorrow, I want to give it enough burn-in, regardless of whether it will benefit or not, just to be 100% sure.

ClieOS, I'm about to blind purchase these myself! You have any impressions yet??? :confounded:

Also, is there any other TOTL buds on AliExpress worth trying out?

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #21,199 of 75,405
Jun 29, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #21,200 of 75,405
That is fair enough. Out of curiosity which earbuds in the $10 - $20 range do you find have a much higher detail level compared to a Vido? Personally I don't find the Vido to be all that lacking in the detail department given the sound signature. I think a lot of the time these things do come down to preference of sound signature, and I admit I do like the bass in the Vido.

I second the curiosity, always good to read other peoples experiences.

Jun 29, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #21,201 of 75,405

I listen to jazz, to music with acoustic instruments and voice.
I try to listen to FLACs from high quality recordings.
I also listen to pop/rock/etc., but these recordings have less quality.
When I listen to mp3 or worst quality recordings, I need to use less resolving earbuds.
Sometimes I need to adjust the earbud to the source quality and type of music.
I don't use foams.

I'll put them in 3 groups, to describe my personal preference.

Very good (Earbuds I like most, I'm very happy with the sound of these):
Toneking Tomahawk, HE 150, Seaf 150, K's 300, DIY EMX500, Puresounds PS100 150, NiceHCK EB200, NiceHCK DIY PK2, Toneking TP16.
(Not ordered by preference, preference changes with music type, player, etc.)

Good (Earbuds that I find not so good as the previous, but still like some qualities):
Monk+, Yincrow X6, Faaeal 64, K's 64, Pionner se-ce521-k.

Earbuds that I don't use, because I find first group much better:
TY 32, Vido, Qian 25

This is not after critical listening, it's only my personal taste and preference.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #21,202 of 75,405
I listen to jazz, to music with acoustic instruments and voice.
I try to listen to FLACs from high quality recordings.
I also listen to pop/rock/etc., but these recordings have less quality.
When I listen to mp3 or worst quality recordings, I need to use less resolving earbuds.
Sometimes I need to adjust the earbud to the source quality and type of music.
I don't use foams.

I'll put them in 3 groups, to describe my personal preference.

Very good (Earbuds I like most, I'm very happy with the sound of these):
Toneking Tomahawk, HE 150, Seaf 150, K's 300, DIY EMX500, Puresounds PS100 150, NiceHCK EB200, NiceHCK DIY PK2, Toneking TP16.
(Not ordered by preference, preference changes with music type, player, etc.)

Good (Earbuds that I find not so good as the previous, but still like some qualities):
Monk+, Yincrow X6, Faaeal 64, K's 64, Pionner se-ce521-k.

Earbuds that I don't use, because I find first group much better:
TY 32, Vido, Qian 25, RY4S

This is not after critical listening, it's only my personal taste and preference.

Thanks for sharing! I find it interesting that you don't use foams. I imagine your impressions of any particular earbud will vary greatly from someone else who used foams on the same bud. I personally can't get away with not using foams. My ears get irritated and the fit will be inconsistent for me. Earbuds are such a fickle headphone type though, likely so much variation in sound depending on each persons ears and fit. I listen to a lot of jazz, blues, and acoustic music as well. I am listening to some Nina Simone in FLAC right now.

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #21,203 of 75,405
I don't use foams because it's too big for my ears.
Yes, foams make a difference in sound, my own impressions change if I use them.
Sometimes I notice that foams are necessary to tame a bright earbud and the sound would be better with them.
Other times I'm glad I don't use them because the music would be a bit more veiled with them.

Jun 29, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #21,204 of 75,405
Try Fengru - emx500

Jun 29, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #21,207 of 75,405
I received my Zen 1 in the mail today. As promised, I opened up the TY Hi-Z HP320M, Seahf 320 Smart 1, and Zen and attempted to turn the TY and Seahf into a Zen 1. The results were fantastic, and I can say that in my opinion these all use the same drivers, and can indeed all be configured to be a Zen 1.

Before I go into detail on how this is done, I want to clear something up. My past measurements showed a significant enough difference in bass response between the HP320M and Smart 1 that I had concluded they must be using different drivers. I believe I made an error with those measurements and I appologize to anyone who may have been mislead. In todays measurements I noticed that one of the HP320M drivers measured quite a bit differently than the other, and while I thought in past measurements I had averaged both L and R measurements, I figure I must have messed up here and only measured one side. I measured many earbuds that day so I can see this being the case.

In todays measurements there was much less of a difference between the TY and Seahf after properly averaging the results. After tinkering around for a while I now believe the tuning foam on the TY was sealing better on one side than the other and resulted in the difference in measurements. I also should mention that about a week ago I made a modification to my coupler on my measurement mic, which allows me to get a more consistent seal for measurements. This change causes my graphs to look slightly different than the original ones I posted. If you were wondering why things seem to have changed, thats why. So please only compare these measurements and anything I posted this week to each other and not to the big first batch of measurements I shared. That first batch is likely still good too, just should only be compared to others within that batch. I don’t plan to make any more changes to the measurement rig so we should be good to go from now on.

Ok so on to the modification. The only difference between the Zen 1 and the others is in how the tuning foam was applied. On the TY and Seahf the foam was applied to the shell. On the Zen the foam is applied to the back of the driver with glue, and one hole is left completely open. Here is a photo showing the difference:

I used a pair of tweezers to remove the original foam from the TY and Seahf and set them aside. The foam doesn’t have much glue on it so I needed to figure out what type of glue to use. My best guess was spray on craft glue, as from experience removing driver foam, it seems very similar to the type used. Here is a photo of the stuff I used:

To glue the foam I first put the foam down on cardboard, then lightly sprayed the foam, and applied with tweezers to the back of the driver. It turns out spraying the foam directly was a bad idea. When spraying the foam you also spray the sides of the foam. I was working on the Seahf first and on the second driver I closed the shell up pretty soon after gluing the foam on. When I tried to open the shell again, the shell had stuck to the foam well enough that it pulled the driver out of the front plastic cover, and broke the voicecoil wire, thus destroying the driver. :frowning2:

So the way I would recommed to glue the foam is to first spray your glue on some cardboard, then place your foam on the glue, then lift if up with tweezers and apply to the driver. When you apply the foam to the driver use very light pressure when applying it. The reason I had to open up that second Seahf driver was because I used firm pressure on that piece of foam and it really changed the FR compared to the first. Here is the result of firm pressure gluing the foam:

The TY went easy breezy after I figured that out. It might seem daunting to do this after hearing all that but to be honest I don’t think it will be too hard for most people to do and as long as you use light pressure on the foam I think your results will be good. The TY measured perfectly to my liking with one attempt gluing the foam on.

Since I destroyed the Seahf, and the Zen I bought had a pretty badly oxidized cable, I decided to recable my Zen 1 with the pristine cable from the Seahf. The Zen 1 is now in mint stock condition.

Here is the resulting FR of the modded TY and one side of the modded Seahf:

Here are some measurements comparing the Zen 1 to my other buds:

As far as subjective impressions go… I can’t tell the difference between the modded HP320M and the real Zen 1. The drivers also have identical impedance and sensitivity so a direct comparison with both running out of the dual TRS outputs on the Chord Mojo was easy.

That my friend, is an epic post! I love the Zen 1, so I am very happy that you have duplicated it.

I also found the "Zen 1 vs Vido" FR graph very interesting. No wonder I also like the Vido so much! :)

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #21,208 of 75,405
So here is impression of MoonDrop Liebesleid, but first a big thanks to MoonDrop and NiceHCK for arranging the sample.

The sound signature of Liebesleid is slightly warm and leaning toward neutral with a light-to-almost-airy and detailed presentation, which isn't too far off from their previous flagship, the VX pro, which is just about neutral with very good detail and specious presentation. While Liebesleid isn't as airy and wide sounding as VX pro, it still however has a pretty good soundstage that MoonDrop's earbuds are known for, the layering and size are still head and shoulder above the majority of earbuds out there. The added warmness mostly is shown in the richer and slightly thicker mid range, giving a touch of sweetness to vocal without making it obviously mid focus. This reflects particularly well in female vocal, especially since Liebesleid has an really good upper mid to treble extension that is detail yet doesn't necessary sound very bright. Bass has good hit and speed but doesn't quite have the deepest rumbling to shake your head. If you are bass head, this might be just a shy lacking quality wise. But for the rest, I'll say the bass performance is more than good enough. Overall I'll say Liebesleid is easily another ToTL, champion level earbud that can stand up to that of Shozy BK or Sennheiser MX985. Overall, I think Liebesleid is probably best suited for mainstream music and those who enjoy a quick, detailed and opened presentation. If there is one complaint I'll make about Liebesleid, it is that the earpieces are a bit heavy since they are made out of brass., even though they do sit quite comfortably in my ears. Last but not least, I do recommend using this with full foam as the soundstage can get slightly flat when you listen to it 'naked'.

Jun 30, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #21,210 of 75,405
Thanks for the impression. Does the sound quality justify the cost?
this bud cost about 80 to 100 dollar more than BK.

If you are asking me whether it is $80~100 better sounding than BK, then the answer is 'no'. They are more or less at the same level of SQ. But if you ask me whether I'll buy it after the fact, then the answer is 'yes'. The SQ and build quality do justify the cost for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back