Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 12, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #21,736 of 42,298
Quote:
Very typical response from Woo Audio based on my experience and reading many posts on these matters. It seems they have become very unsympathetic these days. Perhaps they've grown too big for their britches.

Really, too big for their britches? Or perhaps Jack knows exactly how to test his amps. Is it inconceivable that the noise is in fact unrelated to the design or construction of the amp, and that it is caused by either the tubes being used or other external influences? Any objectionable noise that I ever heard was in fact caused by tubes.

IME, It is the somewhat rare tube combinations that are absolutely dead quiet without music playing. And I do have such combinations, but not all of my collection is dead quiet.

It is clear that you no longer like or want Woo products. We heard you. There are however other opinions to the contrary held by other posters here.

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #21,737 of 42,298
@Nututubes, we will just have to agree to disagree on this matter.  Cheers, my friend. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #21,738 of 42,298
Quote:
Very typical response from Woo Audio based on my experience and reading many posts on these matters. It seems they have become very unsympathetic these days. Perhaps they've grown too big for their britches.

Hello hodgjy

I should be starting working on things in a couple of weeks if you want I can fix the amp the most expensive part will be shipping.  But maybe not so bad from GA to NC not that
far away.  These amps are simple circuits easy to fix.
Glenn

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #21,740 of 42,298
So instead of getting a backup for my Sophia Princess 274B, I took a chance on a "PSVANE 274B Rectifier Tube Western Electric WE274B Replica". It's smaller than my Sophia but bigger than the real WE274B:

(1st shot mine, 2nd from Psvane)

It hardly lights up at all for a clear tube, much less than the Princess, just two little orange dots on top:

Bad pic, but you can see what I mean.

With the HD800/Shuggie Treasure drivers/GEC 6A7SG power tubes, it reminds me of a cross between the EML 5U4G and the EML 274B, but with a hint of the Princess's dynamics.

Early impression is that I think I like it; it will be interesting when I put in the 7236 power tubes and try with LCD2.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #21,741 of 42,298
Nice Grokit. Thanks for sharing. That's a pretty sweet looking tube - dig the logo work on it. I'm currently using the princess as my go-to rectifier and am really looking forward to your impressions! Do you mind sharing what the general cost of the Psvane is compared to the Sophia?

Enjoy

beerchug.gif

Quote:
So instead of getting a backup for my Sophia Princess 274B, I took a chance on a "PSVANE 274B Rectifier Tube Western Electric WE274B Replica". It's smaller than my Sophia but bigger than the real WE274B:

(1st shot mine, 2nd from Psvane)

It hardly lights up at all for a clear tube, much less than the Princess, just two little orange dots on top:

Bad pic, but you can see what I mean.

With the HD800/Shuggie Treasure drivers/GEC 6A7SG power tubes, it reminds me of a cross between the EML 5U4G and the EML 274B, but with a hint of the Princess's dynamics.

Early impression is that I think I like it; it will be interesting when I put in the 7236 power tubes and try with LCD2.

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #21,742 of 42,298
+1.  Hope you're feeling better!

On a side note, my 6F8G adapters probably wouldn't be picking up noise interference if I had one of Glen's from what I hear. :)

Quote:
Hey Glenn, nice to hear you again here. 
beerchug.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #21,743 of 42,298
Quote:
Nice Grokit. Thanks for sharing. That's a pretty sweet looking tube - dig the logo work on it. I'm currently using the princess as my go-to rectifier and am really looking forward to your impressions! Do you mind sharing what the general cost of the Psvane is compared to the Sophia?

The Sophia seems to go from $120 - $160 as far as I can tell. The Psvane was $116 including the slow boat from China:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230740108706?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

edit: There it is, it's evidently made by Shuguang for Psvane. I thought I remembered that.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #21,744 of 42,298
Sweet, thanks for the link and info. Man, I know it's just cosmetics and we're talking audio here...but that is one sweet looking tube. I want it.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:

The Sophia seems to go from $120 - $160 as far as I can tell. The Psvane was $116 including the slow boat from China:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230740108706?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

edit: There it is, it's evidently made by Shuguang for Psvane. I thought I remembered that.

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #21,745 of 42,298
Hi Glenn!

I'm glad you're starting to feel better. That would be fantastic if you could look my amp over. Please contact me whenever you are feeling better and get the itch to tear into an amp.

Many thanks!

Hello hodgjy

I should be starting working on things in a couple of weeks if you want I can fix the amp the most expensive part will be shipping.  But maybe not so bad from GA to NC not that
far away.  These amps are simple circuits easy to fix.
Glenn

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #21,748 of 42,298
Quote:
+1.  Hope you're feeling better!

On a side note, my 6F8G adapters probably wouldn't be picking up noise interference if I had one of Glen's from what I hear. :)

Quote:
Hey Glenn, nice to hear you again here. 
beerchug.gif

I'm standing in line... just over your shoulder for a 6F8G adapter too.

Jun 12, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #21,749 of 42,298
Quote:
Thank God im in China...i can get the Psvane easily and more cheap...hehe..so how does the Psvane compare with Sophia Princess?

It will be a while before I can come to a conclusion on that, so stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have Glenn's 6F8G adapters, no interference at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back