Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #21,721 of 42,298
I've followed a few of your steps with great success, musicman59. I want to hear see your '596' adapter. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #21,722 of 42,298
Quote:
I've followed a few of your steps with great success, musicman59. I want to hear see your '596' adapter. 
biggrin.gif

Jack said they will be shipped by the end of the month. I will post pictures as they arrive.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 11, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #21,724 of 42,298
My WA3 also exhibits a high-pitched wine that sometimes morphs into a buzz or squeal.  It is perplexing.  I cannot find the cause of it.  Also, the hole drilled for the power tube is so off-center that I cannot fit in a large-base 6080, such as the GEC 6080, into the hole despite it being labeled "6080".

I know I will take some heat for this comment, but I don't really care.  As simple as the Woo circuits are, I am really disappointed with how often noises pop up in the different users' amps.  There has to be a flaw in the design, or something is wrong with the hand construction.  What's more disappointing is the typical response from Woo saying, "If you can't hear it when the music is playing, then it's of no consequence."  Well, it is.  Also, I've read enough complaints about cosmetic stuff to realize that the "handmade charm" has become more of "handmade slop."

My love affair with my little Woo was great while it lasted, but I probably will never buy another Woo product again.

Quote:
I listened for several hours, switching interconnects and putting my old pre-amp back in the system.  Unfortuneately, it is the WA2.  The amp sounded great, except for the image shift left of center.  Today, I tried it again before sending an email to Jack and discovered a high-pitched whine as well.  Hopefuly I can run it back to them today and get the rear panel and balance issues corrected. 

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #21,725 of 42,298
Quote:
My WA3 also exhibits a high-pitched wine that sometimes morphs into a buzz or squeal.  It is perplexing.  I cannot find the cause of it.  Also, the hole drilled for the power tube is so off-center that I cannot fit in a large-base 6080, such as the GEC 6080, into the hole despite it being labeled "6080".

I know I will take some heat for this comment, but I don't really care.  As simple as the Woo circuits are, I am really disappointed with how often noises pop up in the different users' amps.  There has to be a flaw in the design, or something is wrong with the hand construction.  What's more disappointing is the typical response from Woo saying, "If you can't hear it when the music is playing, then it's of no consequence."  Well, it is.  Also, I've read enough complaints about cosmetic stuff to realize that the "handmade charm" has become more of "handmade slop."

My love affair with my little Woo was great while it lasted, but I probably will never buy another Woo product again.

Quote:
I listened for several hours, switching interconnects and putting my old pre-amp back in the system.  Unfortuneately, it is the WA2.  The amp sounded great, except for the image shift left of center.  Today, I tried it again before sending an email to Jack and discovered a high-pitched whine as well.  Hopefuly I can run it back to them today and get the rear panel and balance issues corrected. 

Some of us followed you on that painful journey with the whining and squealing ( it's a pig! 
biggrin.gif
 ) from your beloved WA3. To hear today that it remains unresolved, it reminds me of your decision not to sell it without disclosure, though you could have. Your integrity 
smiley_thumb.gif
 speaks volumes.

News of the misaligned hole saddens me further. Even if I purchased the amp pre-owned, if it limited my tube options, I would have politely returned it with an email preceding its arrival. I'm perplexed that a manufacturer wouldn't simply swap you out, then analyze the problem later. Perhaps, if parts were rare, but in this case...
popcorn.gif

Looking forward to hearing that SeeHear gets taken care of.

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #21,726 of 42,298
I can fit RCA 6080 and Sylvania 7236 tubes just fine. Same goes for Tung-Sol 7236. But, there's no way a GEC 6080 is getting I there without a socket saver. I read about this problem on another forum, and the "solution" was to use socket savers. I don't particularly like 6080 tubes, so it was mainly my cosmetic OCD kicking in.

My decision to not sell the amp was mainly from the squeal, but also due to the hole misalignment. I honestly did not want to take that many pictures of it and describing which tube would fit and which would not. I would have if I actually listed it for sale, but I mean, after all that and the squealing, who'd buy it?

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #21,727 of 42,298
If it was heavily discounted, it would certainly be attractive (and rewarding) project for a DIY-er.

Jun 12, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #21,729 of 42,298
I thought i would paste some impressions i posted on the 6SN7 thread regarding tube impressions on my WA22 in the event they might be helpful to any of my Woo brothers here...

A local head-fi'er lent me his TS BGRP yesterday. After just a couple of hours with them, my take is that they are more well-rounded and balanced overall, as well as just a tad more refined, compared to my main driver tubes - Sylvania 6SN7GTA, and RCA VT231.

Here is what I mean. The Sylvania have flat out awesome mids and lovely treble. Everything has a nice polished, warm, smooth sound. It really pulls me in and immerses me in the music. However, the bass is notably recessed to my ears and makes quartet style jazz sound a tad off with upright bass being much quieter than I would expect in real life. In comparison to the Sylvania, the TS BGRP have a much fuller presentation with very pronounced and articulate bass. The same quartet jazz CDs showcase the uprighht bass more realistically as a prominent part of the music. However, it gives up a touch of that truly lovely and immersive warmth - still good, but with a tad more analytical take.

I was very pleased to find that my RCA VT231 smoke glass have very similar warm, and engaging mids like the Sylvania, but add more bass presence and impact to the presentation. This makes them a pretty awesome all-around tube which I now definitely prefer over the Sylvania, although it took many A/B comparisons. Comparing the TS BGRP to the RCA smoke glass, they actually seem fairly close to each other. The main difference is that the TS BGRP is a little more resolving and refined to my ears. However, it still gives up that layer of warmth and musicality to the RCA. In other words, the TS BGRP seems the technical champion. That being said, I can't say yet that I prefer them to the RCA. It's just hard to give up that smooth polished touch they add.

Thanks for the comments Rosgr63 and Skylab. I would be interested to hear if my impressions match yours or differ.

This has been indeed been a great thread that I have learned a lot from. As a beginner to tubes, this thread and the 6SN7 Reference thread have been awesome and have helped me to get my bearings. Cheers.
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #21,730 of 42,298
Quote:
I thought i would paste some impressions i posted on the 6SN7 thread regarding tube impressions on my WA22 in the event they might be helpful to any of my Woo brothers here...

A local head-fi'er lent me his TS BGRP yesterday. After just a couple of hours with them, my take is that they are more well-rounded and balanced overall, as well as just a tad more refined, compared to my main driver tubes - Sylvania 6SN7GTA, and RCA VT231.

Here is what I mean. The Sylvania have flat out awesome mids and lovely treble. Everything has a nice polished, warm, smooth sound. It really pulls me in and immerses me in the music. However, the bass is notably recessed to my ears and makes quartet style jazz sound a tad off with upright bass being much quieter than I would expect in real life. In comparison to the Sylvania, the TS BGRP have a much fuller presentation with very pronounced and articulate bass. The same quartet jazz CDs showcase the uprighht bass more realistically as a prominent part of the music. However, it gives up a touch of that truly lovely and immersive warmth - still good, but with a tad more analytical take.

I was very pleased to find that my RCA VT231 smoke glass have very similar warm, and engaging mids like the Sylvania, but add more bass presence and impact to the presentation. This makes them a pretty awesome all-around tube which I now definitely prefer over the Sylvania, although it took many A/B comparisons. Comparing the TS BGRP to the RCA smoke glass, they actually seem fairly close to each other. The main difference is that the TS BGRP is a little more resolving and refined to my ears. However, it still gives up that layer of warmth and musicality to the RCA. In other words, the TS BGRP seems the technical champion. That being said, I can't say yet that I prefer them to the RCA. It's just hard to give up that smooth polished touch they add.

Thanks for the comments Rosgr63 and Skylab. I would be interested to hear if my impressions match yours or differ.

This has been indeed been a great thread that I have learned a lot from. As a beginner to tubes, this thread and the 6SN7 Reference thread have been awesome and have helped me to get my bearings. Cheers.
wink.gif

Currently in-session with Tina Guo - "Forbidden City." Honey is wild & wicked on this track 
eek.gif
 playing electric cello! A must listen from her CD "The Journey." Anyway, cheers to your impressions and the sharing of them.

However, I'm pleased to announce we sit among a few WooAudio amp owning sisters as well in this thread... 
beerchug.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #21,731 of 42,298
Cheers to my Woo sisters as well!  
beerchug.gif

Man, SO, you're light years ahead of me in music discovery. I've hardly ever heard any of the artists that you cheers too. I need to PM you for some of your all-time favorite must-listen recommendations
wink.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #21,732 of 42,298
Quote:

Some of us followed you on that painful journey with the whining and squealing ( it's a pig! 
biggrin.gif
 ) from your beloved WA3. To hear today that it remains unresolved, it reminds me of your decision not to sell it without disclosure, though you could have. Your integrity 
smiley_thumb.gif
 speaks volumes.

News of the misaligned hole saddens me further. Even if I purchased the amp pre-owned, if it limited my tube options, I would have politely returned it with an email preceding its arrival. I'm perplexed that a manufacturer wouldn't simply swap you out, then analyze the problem later. Perhaps, if parts were rare, but in this case...
popcorn.gif

No luck here...  Jack says either noise isn't there because they ran my amp for several hours and they didn't hear it; or, the noise is my fault because I have placed other equipment too near the Woo.  As far as the badly drilled pre-out, that "can not be aligned since it's a modification"!
confused_face%281%29.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #21,733 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif
smiley_thumb.gif
 speaks volumes.

popcorn.gif

No luck here...  Jack says either noise isn't there because they ran my amp for several hours and they didn't hear it; or, the noise is my fault because I have placed other equipment too near the Woo.  As far as the badly drilled pre-out, that "can not be aligned since it's a modification"!
confused_face%281%29.gif

ph34r.gif
 Silent One, sitting... well, silent... and disappointed.

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #21,734 of 42,298
Quote:
Cheers to my Woo sisters as well!  
beerchug.gif

Man, SO, you're light years ahead of me in music discovery. I've hardly ever heard any of the artists that you cheers too. I need to PM you for some of your all-time favorite must-listen recommendations
wink.gif

Recommendations? This could take a while...
smiley_thumb.gif
 have some Champagne?  Will be happy to share Summer 2012. Twice a year I usually push my music library out the door in PDF to a few members. So, I can share what's cookin' in my kitchen - lots of Jazz, Blues, Zydeco, African, Indian... lots of stuff including Classical.

I write a lot of personal letters ('round the world) and having music outside of just favorites expands my horizon. I remember vividly the very first letter I penned to a friend, sharing my new found passion for my days old WA 6 Special Edition. I dedicated the first two pages to aesthetics alone, but I failed to include a photograph. Still, she was so happy for me. But admitted she didn't get it... my passion for this new amp. And asked in the sweetest voice long distance "Does it do anything else?" 
blink.gif

Jun 12, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #21,735 of 42,298
Very typical response from Woo Audio based on my experience and reading many posts on these matters. It seems they have become very unsympathetic these days. Perhaps they've grown too big for their britches.

confused_face%281%29.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back