Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 9, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #21,691 of 42,298
Quote:

Does anyone have an idea of this FURMAN Symmetrically Balanced Power Conditioner, it looks very promising. It's like a rock weight 43KG
eek.gif

P-2300-ITE-front_page.jpg
P-2300-ITE-rear_page.jpg

That's a data center purposed power conditioner/distributor.  Note the ports are not your standard power ports.  It will work fine with your components that don't have permanently attached power cables but your power cable choices will be limited.  And make sure you remember to order cables when you order the PSU, or you'll be really frustrated!

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #21,692 of 42,298
Quote:
For those WooAudio amp owners using the 2010 Mac mini and later as a music server, this pix is for you! 

Atomic Audio Labs Mac mini platform:

With original low profile spikes below

Very Nice!  I'm just beginning to explore isolation solutions.  I'm ordering a 5 shelf salamander rack to hold everything and I want to use mechanical isolation too on the WA2, the Musical Fidelity M1 and the Denon DBP-1611 universal player.  Do you know anything about those vinyl cones with the ball bearings?

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #21,693 of 42,298
Currently in-session with The Isley Brothers - Live It Up (1974)

Which vinyl cones with ball bearings do you refer (name)?
popcorn.gif

Jun 9, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #21,694 of 42,298
I just listened to Miles' Seven Steps to Heaven as I arrange things for my just-come-home WA2.  Think I'll play some Isley's now - Go for Your Guns!

I forget the name of the isolators - give me a few minutes, I'll find them

Jun 9, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #21,696 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
Currently in-session with The Isley Brothers - Live It Up (1974)

Which vinyl cones with ball bearings do you refer (name)?
popcorn.gif

They are called Vibrapods:
I like the idea of a high mass platform (like your lead filled acrylic) with the cones...

Yes, I'm aware of them but have never used them before. At a price like that, it'd sure be worth checking out.

Jun 9, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #21,697 of 42,298
Quote:
I just listened to Miles' Seven Steps to Heaven as I arrange things for my just-come-home WA2.  Think I'll play some Isley's now - Go for Your Guns!

I forget the name of the isolators - give me a few minutes, I'll find them

smiley_thumb.gif
 You've some great music in the queue.

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #21,699 of 42,298

Baby's Home!

Here a are a couple of pix of my WA2 post mod.  The bad tube was replaced with a fresh pair (thanks, Jack) and the second pre-out was added, along with a switch for the pre-outs.

First impressions: 

1. She sounds even better than before (that first driver tube must have been bad on arrival and only got worse until it failed), and images like crazy!  Miles' trumpet sounds pretty damn life like, as does George Coleman's saxophone!
  2. Tone and timing are outstanding - this is why I bought this amp.  When I first got it, I was not as pleased as I expected.  But, I knew what I heard at the show, so I was willing to give it time.  I'm glad it turned out to be the tube because I was beginning to have misgivings. No more!  This is great!
  3. I am not super impressed with the drill job for the second output.  I'm going to ask Jack about that. 
  4. I was not expecting the pre-out switch to act as an output selector.  It chooses between headphone and pre-out now.  Not sure if that is a problem for me, just not what I expected.  The reality is that I rarely, if ever want them both on. 
  5. I haven't connected my sub to the pre-out yet.  Those impressions will follow in a later post.  Right now, I'd rather listen than write!

Cheers!
L3000.gif

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #21,700 of 42,298
Hey all,

Having a bit of a problem with my WA6SE and I was wondering anyone can help me out in diagnosing the problem...

I'm having some volume imbalance/centering issues as of late. At first I thought it was because of my aging tubes, but upon trying few things I'm not so sure if it's the problem with the tubes...

- I first though it was the tubes because when I switched the tubes, the "center" shifted sides slightly. This is weird however, since I bought these driver tubes matched and never mixed them up.
- I recently bought some of Skylab's driver tubes, which are well matched, but they have the same issue. Center seems slightly biased to one side. 
- I doubt it's my source's problem as they're fine with my other amp, Stello HP100. Not to mention that switching tubes switches the centering also.
- It's not my Hiface's problem either, even with Stello USB they have same issues.

My WA6SE's actually pretty old... it's actually the original prototype that was refurbished a while ago. I'm thinking perhaps this amp can't tolerate even the slightest mismatch of the driver tubes, but I figure a good tube amp should be able to tolerate less than a perfect match as long as the difference is slight? 

What do you guys think? What else should I try to properly diagnose the problem?

Jun 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #21,701 of 42,298
Quote:
Hey all,

Having a bit of a problem with my WA6SE and I was wondering anyone can help me out in diagnosing the problem...

I'm having some volume imbalance/centering issues as of late. At first I thought it was because of my aging tubes, but upon trying few things I'm not so sure if it's the problem with the tubes...

- I first though it was the tubes because when I switched the tubes, the "center" shifted sides slightly. This is weird however, since I bought these driver tubes matched and never mixed them up.
- I recently bought some of Skylab's driver tubes, which are well matched, but they have the same issue. Center seems slightly biased to one side. 
- I doubt it's my source's problem as they're fine with my other amp, Stello HP100. Not to mention that switching tubes switches the centering also.
- It's not my Hiface's problem either, even with Stello USB they have same issues.

My WA6SE's actually pretty old... it's actually the original prototype that was refurbished a while ago. I'm thinking perhaps this amp can't tolerate even the slightest mismatch of the driver tubes, but I figure a good tube amp should be able to tolerate less than a perfect match as long as the difference is slight? 

What do you guys think? What else should I try to properly diagnose the problem?

What tubes are you using?  for me once the windows volume balance control was messed up it was supposed to be 100% for L and R but somehow that time it was L 60% and R at 90%..try check that out..

Jun 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #21,702 of 42,298
Quote:

What tubes are you using?  for me once the windows volume balance control was messed up it was supposed to be 100% for L and R but somehow that time it was L 60% and R at 90%..try check that out..

EML 5U4G and RCA or ITT 6DE7's. As it's the old model I'm quite limited in selection of usable driver tubes.. 

I've checked the volume control and both are 100%.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #21,703 of 42,298
Quote:
That's a data center purposed power conditioner/distributor.  Note the ports are not your standard power ports.  It will work fine with your components that don't have permanently attached power cables but your power cable choices will be limited.  And make sure you remember to order cables when you order the PSU, or you'll be really frustrated!

I just recognized that, thanks.
eek.gif

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #21,704 of 42,298
Well you guys convinced me to try filtering my power, to see if there's any difference. I have a PS Audio UPC-200 incoming, will use it with their Power Punch cable in, and hospital cords out. If it makes any difference, I will consider getting a re-generator and move the UPC-2000 to my bedroom rig.

"Based on a completely redesigned and much improved common mode Balun filter, the UPC 200 can provide unrestricted AC power to your equipment along with major audio and video performance improvements."

I've always thought my power is pretty clean, we shall see. If nothing else it will look cool on top of my GCPH
devil_face.gif

Jun 9, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #21,705 of 42,298
Speaking of power cords, I just came across an old thread that gave me the giggles:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/293165/my-cat-tore-up-my-virtual-dynamics-power-3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back