Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 16, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #40,606 of 42,298
Well call me silly then, however the SQ makes them special enough to warranty giving them another go.

No judgement, I promise. To each his own.

Personally, I don't care if they sound like angels farting. I won't buy from a company that doesn't stand by their work. It's a thing with me.

Jul 16, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #40,607 of 42,298
Jul 16, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #40,608 of 42,298
The Emission Labs 300B tubes are nice. I am running them and Emission 5U4G mesh rectifiers. Sound very nice.

EML make great sounding tubes for the price and you get a 5 year warranty. Do you prefer the Mesh plates over the normal plates?

Jul 16, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #40,610 of 42,298
IMG_0166.jpeg
IMG_0167.jpeg
The best of the EML's IMHO is the 45 Globe, they only made a few and its difficult to transport them as none of the tube assembly touches the glass. They sound deliciously sweet.

Jul 16, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #40,612 of 42,298
I have and prefer the mesh. I would love to hear impressions of the new Western Electric 300B tubes. If and when they ever ship. I have been waiting for what seems like forever for them to come out.

Jul 16, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #40,613 of 42,298
I liked the clarity and depth of the mesh plate. The normal plates for bass, though!

Gotta hand it to EML. For about half the price, they're damn close to those top tier tubes.

Hello, could please mention which normal plate tubes are you talking about for the bass? I am looking at several options for my WA-22 rectifier tube. I see Woo have a Sophia 274B on their site. But I had never heard of EL or Elrog tubes until I came across the last few posts. I am looking for something that will give me most bass! Could you please suggest?

Thank you.

Jul 16, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #40,614 of 42,298
The EML 300B-XLS http://www.emissionlabs.com/datasheets/EML300B-XLS.htm

I can't speak to the V2 Elrogs. I don't have them and I haven't auditioned them.

EML offers the best bang for the buck, across their entire line. Not tops in sound quality, but just under that top tier (we're not talking massive degrees-- just slight differences), for most folks it's "close enough" because of the lower cost.

Click on the "Fake Mesh" link-- where they talk about the shortcomings of the punched plate Sophia tubes without naming them directly.

I have the Takatsuki 300B. In my WA-5LE V2, it's the best I've heard, but at twice the cost of the EML, it's nowhere near twice better than the EML.

Jul 16, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #40,615 of 42,298
The EML 300B-XLS http://www.emissionlabs.com/datasheets/EML300B-XLS.htm

I can't speak to the V2 Elrogs. I don't have them and I haven't auditioned them.

EML offers the best bang for the buck, across their entire line. Not tops in sound quality, but just under that top tier (we're not talking massive degrees-- just slight differences), for most folks it's "close enough" because of the lower cost.

Click on the "Fake Mesh" link-- where they talk about the shortcomings of the punched plate Sophia tubes without naming them directly.

I have the Takatsuki 300B. In my WA-5LE V2, it's the best I've heard, but at twice the cost of the EML, it's nowhere near twice better than the EML.

That is a very good explanation thank you! Could you suggest a second-best driver tube too? I do not have money to tube roll and neither do I feel like spending insane money on ECC3X tubes. I understand they might be the best but somehow I cannot manage to spend on something because its rare. I have asked around multiple times and no one has responded to my question about psvane tubes. I read some old posts saying they are good and some people downright saying psvane will blow up.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #40,616 of 42,298
That is a very good explanation thank you! Could you suggest a second-best driver tube too? I do not have money to tube roll and neither do I feel like spending insane money on ECC3X tubes. I understand they might be the best but somehow I cannot manage to spend on something because its rare. I have asked around multiple times and no one has responded to my question about psvane tubes. I read some old posts saying they are good and some people downright saying psvane will blow up.
I will avoid psvane.

The power and rectifier are much more expensive than the driver tubes............

Jul 16, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #40,617 of 42,298
The PSVane driver that fits the WA5 is the 181. Avoid this tube at all and any cost. It sounds horrible, adding introducing what sounds to me like distortion through the upper mids. It's a very tight fit anyway. Get a traditional TS 6SN7. They sound good and they're relatively cheap. A hundred bucks will land you a decent pair. Add a few more if you want something a bit more special.

Jul 16, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #40,618 of 42,298
I'm running Sylvania 6SN7 black base from mid 50's. Have green lettering. I've been very happy with them. Paid around $150 I believe.

Jul 16, 2019 at 11:25 PM Post #40,620 of 42,298
I have to agree, save up for the good tubes. That said, I am not using my good tunes atm on a wa6, and the rca tubes I'm using are totally fine. I would go ahead and buy some ok nos tubes, then save up for whatever sounds like the best to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back