Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 13, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #39,541 of 42,299
For WA5 and WA5LE owners, I recommend the Shuguang black treasure 300b tubes. I don't know about their longevity but they are lush sounding with a nice bass response for 300b tubes. Let me know what you think. They are a bargain now I think compared to other 300b tubes.

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #39,544 of 42,299

From all the DAC's I have heard this is how I would rank them (worst to best).

Oppo HA-1, Cambridge DAC magic, Arcam irDAC, DAC inbuilt into the Sim Audio 230HA, Hegal HD30, Auralic Vega, Yaggy and Bricasti.

The last 3 are all great with HP's and don't produce nasty treble for HP's.

Thanks for the tip.
I got a Yggy and was not happy till 150-200 hours in. Now couldn't be more pleased.
Got you to thank!
Robert Harley lists it in his top 3 DACs in new issue of TAS.
I just ordered another for my other system.

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #39,545 of 42,299
  I'm looking for an amp to drive HD600s and am considering WA3, would that be a good combination?

What's a decent, affordable DAC to go with it?

All of a sudden I'm a big Schiit fan with a recent Yggdrasil.
I'm sold on the multibit concept cause I love how it sounds.
Schiit is known for ridiculous price for performance.
Bifrost multibit is $599
Gungnir multibit is $1249
Yggdrasil is $2299
Rbt Harley in new TAS calls Yggy "One of the greatest bargains in the history of high-end audio."
And the less expensive models are even better price for performance.
Don't know your budget but people love the Bifrost multibit and it don't cost much.
I'm a recent convert so take my advice with a grain of salt
But maybe check it out.

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #39,547 of 42,299
Only Schiit I've heard is the Yggy.
So my suggestion is really just speculation.
A lot of you will know way more about it than I do.

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #39,548 of 42,299

All of a sudden I'm a big Schiit fan with a recent Yggdrasil.
I'm sold on the multibit concept cause I love how it sounds.
Schiit is known for ridiculous price for performance.
Bifrost multibit is $599
Gungnir multibit is $1249
Yggdrasil is $2299
Rbt Harley in new TAS calls Yggy "One of the greatest bargains in the history of high-end audio."
And the less expensive models are even better price for performance.
Don't know your budget but people love the Bifrost multibit and it don't cost much.
I'm a recent convert so take my advice with a grain of salt
But maybe check it out.

I'd have to put the Chord Dave at the top and make room for the Hugo and Hugo TT near the top. It still bothers me that the Yggy can't handle DSD native. How a TOTL DAC can't deal with the industry's current best digital format... beyond me. Quality product, but still. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #39,549 of 42,299
I'd have to put the Chord Dave at the top and make room for the Hugo and Hugo TT near the top. It still bothers me that the Yggy can't handle DSD native. How a TOTL DAC can't deal with the industry's current best digital format... beyond me. Quality product, but still. 

The DSD issue is a big reason I've hesitated buying a Schiit DAC. And the bad experience I had with the original Bifrost. I don't know how many times I've sat at my computer with my mouse cursor over the buy button on Schiit's site.... One of my current DACs is DSD challenged and I find it getting less and less use. You can down sample but why would you want to do that with the premium price you paid for a DSD album?

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #39,550 of 42,299

Couldn't agree more. The Chord DAVE is the most lifelike DAC I have ever heard. Much more so than the Yggdrasil. The headphone out is also quite good, and I use that frequently--almost as much as using the WA22 fed from the DAVE.

The lack of DSD is puzzling for an endgame amp like the Yggy. I use Roon and upsample to DSD 256--the sound is GLORIOUS! It would have been nice to have that option in the Schiit.

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #39,551 of 42,299
The DSD issue is a big reason I've hesitated buying a Schiit DAC. And the bad experience I had with the original Bifrost. I don't know how many times I've sat at my computer with my mouse cursor over the buy button on Schiit's site.... One of my current DACs is DSD challenged and I find it getting less and less use. You can down sample but why would you want to do that with the premium price you paid for a DSD album?

Have you considered the Holo Spring DAC?

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #39,552 of 42,299

Have you considered the Holo Spring DAC?

Yes, I've had my eye on the Spring since it was announced.  I'm waiting for things in the R2R Ladder DAC realm to work themselves out before I commit.  I've also been watching the more affordable Denafrips offerings. I'm all about getting the best price performance out of my gear.... 

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #39,553 of 42,299

Yes, I've had my eye on the Spring since it was announced.  I'm waiting for things in the R2R Ladder DAC realm to work themselves out before I commit.  I've also been watching the more affordable Denafrips offerings. I'm all about getting the best price performance out of my gear.... 

I would have mentioned the Denifraps DACs, but I have no experience with them, so I didn't.
I follow the thread and most seem to be enjoying the Ares. Anyway, I have the Spring KTE and wouldn't hesitate to but another one if I needed a second DAC. Best thing I added to my chain.

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #39,554 of 42,299
I would have mentioned the Denifraps DACs, but I have no experience with them, so I didn't.
I follow the thread and most seem to be enjoying the Ares. Anyway, I have the Spring KTE and wouldn't hesitate to but another one if I needed a second DAC. Best thing I added to my chain.

Even the level 1 Spring looks like a winner. What DAC do you use in your first system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back