Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 17, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #39,571 of 42,298
I think I'm going to. :grinning: I really want to listen to it first, but I don't know anyone in my area that has one. I'm going to put my other DAC up for sale and hopefully by the time I sell I can listen to the Spring.

Hey, I heard a Holo Spring dac at CanJam last weekend. Easily top 5 dac at the whole event to my ears, and that includes HE-1's, Dave, Hugo 2, and the Woo room's unobtanium dac. It's truly wonderful and very natural sounding if that's what you're after.

Edit: Pretty sure it was the Kitsune edition since it was at the Kitsune table.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #39,572 of 42,298
Hey, I heard a Holo Spring dac at CanJam last weekend. Easily top 5 dac at the whole event to my ears, and that includes HE-1's, Dave, Hugo 2, and the Woo room's unobtanium dac. It's truly wonderful and very natural sounding if that's what you're after.

The wonderful and the very natural sounding are exactly what I'm after.

I wonder how the synergy is with the Woo WA5?

I think I'm just going to do it. Does it require a digital converter like the Singxer SU-1 to sound it's best out of the USB interface?

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #39,575 of 42,298
The wonderful and the very natural sounding are exactly what I'm after.

I wonder how the synergy is with the Woo WA5?

I think I'm just going to do it. Does it require a digital converter like the Singxer SU-1 to sound it's best out of the USB interface?

No, definitely not.
But you know how this hobby goes, so I'm sure you'll end up with one. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #39,580 of 42,298
I've been tweaking my WA5-LE since I got it two months ago.  I've installed two Emission Labs EML 520B V3's for the power side.  I had Northern Electric 6SN7 tubes for the Drivers but I was less than pleased with the resolution of the trebles and upper mid range.  EML doesn't make a 6SN7 replacement so I went to my Sylvania 6F8G's with adapters.  Boy are they tight just barely squeeze by the 520's.  For Rectifiers I had Brimar 5Z4G's.  Supposedly a matched pair.  One failed after 3 months of use and the twin is running hotter so they are out for good. I've installed EML 5U4G's, big and beautiful, they are.  As a bonus they have a 5 year warranty if you register online.  Now the amp is really coming into it's own.  Depth, power, and detail especially in the upper range where I needed more resolution.  I'm happy with the set up (we'll see for how long?)

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #39,581 of 42,298
I've been tweaking my WA5-LE since I got it two months ago.  I've installed two Emission Labs EML 520B V3's for the power side.  I had Northern Electric 6SN7 tubes for the Drivers but I was less than pleased with the resolution of the trebles and upper mid range.  EML doesn't make a 6SN7 replacement so I went to my Sylvania 6F8G's with adapters.  Boy are they tight just barely squeeze by the 520's.  For Rectifiers I had Brimar 5Z4G's.  Supposedly a matched pair.  One failed after 3 months of use and the twin is running hotter so they are out for good. I've installed EML 5U4G's, big and beautiful, they are.  As a bonus they have a 5 year warranty if you register online.  Now the amp is really coming into it's own.  Depth, power, and detail especially in the upper range where I needed more resolution.  I'm happy with the set up (we'll see for how long?)

That's looking very nice! The EML's seem like a pretty good value. At least compared to the NOS Western Electric tubes :)

Apr 17, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #39,582 of 42,298
That's looking very nice! The EML's seem like a pretty good value. At least compared to the NOS Western Electric tubes
smily_headphones1.gif

I like the quality of the EML's.  The glass is substantial and the elements are robust.  The quality is supported by their warranty of 5 years. At my age, I don't know that I'd notice a difference with Western Electric tubes.  At this point in time who knows the history of any given WE tube if you're looking at vintage.  The new ones are an option, but I just don't know if the build is truly magical.  My wallet would certainly notice though.  If anything, I might look at Takatsuki tubes at some point.

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #39,583 of 42,298

What made you decide on the 520b? Usually I see the 300b or 300b-xls in the Woo.

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #39,584 of 42,298
I was looking for 300B tubes locally and these came to my attention. I fired off an email to Woo to verify compatibility and they gave thumbs up. So I went for them. I've been really pleased with the results. The 520B V3 are great tubes. They have very large plates and stand over 7 inches tall. I bought my stand to accommodate the tall tubes.

Apr 17, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #39,585 of 42,298
I was looking for 300B tubes locally and these came to my attention. I fired off an email to Woo to verify compatibility and they gave thumbs up. So I went for them. I've been really pleased with the results. The 520B V3 are great tubes. The have very large plates and stand over 7 inches tall. I bought my stand to accommodate the tall tubes.

I was about to ask if Woo signed off on the 520B.  Good to know.  What is your stand?  I only found one stand that the 2nd shelf was tall enough to fit the amp section and certainly did not find one that would hold nearly 80 lbs of WA5 on a single shelf. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back