Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 16, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #39,556 of 42,298
Some good DACs being mentioned here. I've heard nothing but good reports regarding the Yggy. A lesser known brand to consider is Lampizator. For critical listening I've always used vinyl, but this year I now also use digital files since I purchased an Atlantic.

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #39,557 of 42,298
The DSD issue is a big reason I've hesitated buying a Schiit DAC. And the bad experience I had with the original Bifrost. I don't know how many times I've sat at my computer with my mouse cursor over the buy button on Schiit's site.... One of my current DACs is DSD challenged and I find it getting less and less use. You can down sample but why would you want to do that with the premium price you paid for a DSD album?

Even a company like Wyred4Sound has had a DSD upgrade option for their DAC2 for over 2 years, and their new DAC2 has DSD built in. I do not understand Schiit (there's a joke here?!), and I do not understand people who have a crazy passion for the Yggy. Quality DAC, no doubt, but it falls short in a very important area.

Some have argued that the DSD format doesn't offer a significant upgrade over 192khz files. I completely disagree. The files I have that are remastered for DSD sound significantly cleaner than their 96k and 192k counterparts. You don't think it's possible, until you actually compare them.

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #39,558 of 42,298
Jason and Mike have been very clear that with 99% of all digital music in PCM format they have no interest in worrying about DSD conversion. Schiit will remain non DSD.

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #39,559 of 42,298
My wife is ordering a WA6 for me for my birthday and I just noticed on the woo website that it is now the 2nd generation. I read the explanation but don't relly see the difference. Can someone be so kind and maybe give me a basic explanation.

Thanks

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #39,560 of 42,298
My wife is ordering a WA6 for me for my birthday and I just noticed on the woo website that it is now the 2nd generation. I read the explanation but don't relly see the difference. Can someone be so kind and maybe give me a basic explanation.

Thanks

http://wooaudio.com/products/wa6.html

Differences at the top of the page!

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #39,562 of 42,298
Even a company like Wyred4Sound has had a DSD upgrade option for their DAC2 for over 2 years, and their new DAC2 has DSD built in. I do not understand Schiit (there's a joke here?!), and I do not understand people who have a crazy passion for the Yggy. Quality DAC, no doubt, but it falls short in a very important area.

Some have argued that the DSD format doesn't offer a significant upgrade over 192khz files. I completely disagree. The files I have that are remastered for DSD sound significantly cleaner than their 96k and 192k counterparts. You don't think it's possible, until you actually compare them.

My thoughts exactly. DSD is the way the industry is going. And it definitely sounds better to my ears. I was blown away the first time I heard Diana Krall's Girl in the other room album in DSD. It's a bad move for Schiit not to follow suit. They did release their little box that you can put between your DAC, but I don't want two boxes. I want a DAC that plays all popular formats. Not sure why they don't build DSD into their DACs.

If the Holo Spring sounds as good as I've heard from reviews I think I'm going that direction. Plus the discrete resistor ladders are very cool tech. Now I just need to find one to listen to.

Apr 16, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #39,563 of 42,298
You really have to hand it to Jason S. Schitt marketing and their fanboys are on every thread now.

Amazing...

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #39,564 of 42,298
If you are referring to me I own no Schiit gear. I simply asked Jason the question about DSD at RMAF and that is what he said. Rumor mill all you want they simply are not interested in supporting DSD as a minority format.

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #39,565 of 42,298
^ No, I am not referring to anyone or even a particular post.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #39,566 of 42,298
My thoughts exactly. DSD is the way the industry is going. And it definitely sounds better to my ears. I was blown away the first time I heard Diana Krall's Girl in the other room album in DSD. It's a bad move for Schiit not to follow suit. They did release their little box that you can put between your DAC, but I don't want two boxes. I want a DAC that plays all popular formats. Not sure why they don't build DSD into their DACs.

If the Holo Spring sounds as good as I've heard from reviews I think I'm going that direction. Plus the discrete resistor ladders are very cool tech. Now I just need to find one to listen to.

Schiit is welcome to chose the path that their company takes.  Schiit does't drive the market, consumers do.  Whether the need is perceived or not, DSD and now MQA are here to stay. The market allows us to chose our direction and I went with a Mytek Brooklyn.  It works with all of the formats and I'm pleased with the sound quality and the feature set.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #39,567 of 42,298
I'm so tempted to get a Spring now. Have you listened to the level 1 and compared to the level 2 and 3?

Pull the trigger, you won't be disappointed.
Unfortunately I have not heard the Level 1 or 2, but there was a few members on the Holo thread that have had the opportunity to do so, and claimed slight differences between them.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #39,568 of 42,298
Pull the trigger, you won't be disappointed.
Unfortunately I have not heard the Level 1 or 2, but there was a few members on the Holo thread that have had the opportunity to do so, and claimed slight differences between them.

I think I'm going to. :grinning: I really want to listen to it first, but I don't know anyone in my area that has one. I'm going to put my other DAC up for sale and hopefully by the time I sell I can listen to the Spring.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #39,569 of 42,298
I think I'm going to. :grinning: I really want to listen to it first, but I don't know anyone in my area that has one. I'm going to put my other DAC up for sale and hopefully by the time I sell I can listen to the Spring.

Probably going to be hard to listen to one unless you know someone who has one or you can attend a CanJam. HeadAmp uses the Spring KTE with the GS-X Mk2/BHSE. I dealt with Tim of Holo Audio USA who provides excellent customer service and communication as well as being a pleasure to deal with.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #39,570 of 42,298
Probably going to be hard to listen to one unless you know someone who has one or you can attend a CanJam. HeadAmp uses the Spring KTE with the GS-X Mk2/BHSE. I dealt with Tim of Holo Audio USA who provides excellent customer service and communication as well as being a pleasure to deal with.

You are probably correct. It's going to be hard to find one to listen to soon. I can always wait until RMAF but that is pretty far off. I'll work it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back