Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 12, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #39,526 of 42,298

This.

My concern is not what is in woo's best interest, My concern is what's in my best interest as a consumer who's about to drop 8000$ on their product. And as a consumer id like to know how it sounds stock. They may actually even get sales from folks like myself and @joseph69 when they previously would not otherwise, as we may grab the amp stock and run it for a couple years then upgrade tubes later on, rather than just not buying it at all until we have cash for the whole lot altogether. Logistics aside, i really dont see how showing stock performance will hurt. The last thing they want is someone hearing the w33 at canjam, running out and buying it stock, then disappointed with the performance stock because it doesnt live up, then proceeds to return it. At least you'll know what you're getting into.

Take the abyss for e.g., it wasn't just shown on the rig it sounds the "Best" on, it were on various setups, which i appreciate, because you can get to hear how it sound in a couple different scenarios and see what matches yours the best and decide if you wanna jump in grab the Abyss and worry about upgrading to extract its full potential later.

It's int heir best interest to make $, but it's in my best interest to spend it wisely, and thus i'll request amenities that would help make that decision. As a consumer, your priority should be yourself. :)

Anyways, this is becoming a bit off topic, so *patiently waiting on some stock impressions*

I hear you on this, but I don't think they have a ton of prototypes.  I think this is the only one in near final form.  So in that scenario, I'd show it in its best light possible.  I think when it does get released, having a stock one and souped-up one side by side would be really helpful.  

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #39,527 of 42,298

I hear you on this, but I don't think they have a ton of prototypes.  I think this is the only one in near final form.  So in that scenario, I'd show it in its best light possible.  I think when it does get released, having a stock one and souped-up one side by side would be really helpful.  

Agreed, if they dont have many on hand then yea.

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #39,528 of 42,298
CanJam SoCal was the first time we showed the "pre-production" WA33 and we wanted to show everyone what it is capable of. Similarly, most high-end audio manufacturers use the best quality music, best DAC, and best cables at shows.

A new Lamborghini is often showed off on a race track to show the press what it is capable of. It wouldn't do very well on public roads. 
biggrin.gif

We will show production WA33 in stock form at RMAF. 

https://www.audiofest.net

Apr 12, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #39,529 of 42,298
  CanJam SoCal was the first time we showed the "pre-production" WA33 and we wanted to show everyone what it is capable of. Similarly, most high-end audio manufacturers use the best quality music, best DAC, and best cables at shows.

A new Lamborghini is often showed off on a race track to show the press what it is capable of. It wouldn't do very well on public roads. 
biggrin.gif

Hopefully I'm going to be at RMAF this year.  If I am I'm gong to have to have a listen.  I can't seem to be able to get away that weekend in the past couple of years.

Apr 12, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #39,530 of 42,298

biggrin.gif

Great, much appreciated 
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #39,531 of 42,298
Anyone who tried out the Utopia with the WA33, what were your thoughts on the lower frequencies? From what I've read so far, it's not as warm and tubey sounding as the WA22, but does it still do well bass impact wise?

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #39,532 of 42,298

Good point.  I only heard the WA7 with the stock tubes and wasn't impressed.  Probably sounds better with better tubes.  

I think a lot of people hear the WA7 with the stock tubes and decide they don't like it.  Especially newcomers to head gear, which it's geared toward.  With the Russian tubes it is my favorite desktop amp, that I've heard, in the $1k range.

Apr 13, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #39,535 of 42,298
  Anyone who tried out the Utopia with the WA33, what were your thoughts on the lower frequencies? From what I've read so far, it's not as warm and tubey sounding as the WA22, but does it still do well bass impact wise?

Bass was full and impactful.  The Utopia doesn't have a large quantity of bass, but the Utopia+WA33 combo had the best bass I have ever heard come from the Utopia.

The WA33 is a really special machine.  It made the Abyss Phi seem both incredibly powerful and well controlled at the same time.  I've never heard my Eikons sound better.  Detail, power, and soundstage were all there in spades.  

Apr 13, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #39,536 of 42,298

Bass was full and impactful.  The Utopia doesn't have a large quantity of bass, but the Utopia+WA33 combo had the best bass I have ever heard come from the Utopia.

The WA33 is a really special machine.  It made the Abyss Phi seem both incredibly powerful and well controlled at the same time.  I've never heard my Eikons sound better.  Detail, power, and soundstage were all there in spades.  

Cool thanks.

Did you happen to check out the Cavalli Liquid Tungsten with the Utopia? Wondering how that compares to the WA33 as well bass wise.

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #39,537 of 42,298
Cool thanks.

Did you happen to check out the Cavalli Liquid Tungsten with the Utopia? Wondering how that compares to the WA33 as well bass wise.

I did, but the show floor was noisy so I can't make any accurate observations. The WA33 sounded better to my ears, but I need to give the Cavalli a fair shake before I say for sure.

Apr 13, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #39,538 of 42,298
  I think Woo needs to rethink their pricing.  Not just for the WA33.  

Amps such as the WA5 & WA22 have a slow lush sound but the WA33 is more fast and clean sounding, as mentioned by other members.  I am guessing Woo sees this sound as the future especially for a TOTL amp.  For 6k - 7k you are in Eddie Current 45 amp territory with upgraded tubes and well into Glenn 300B with Taks with some spare change.  Those are proper TOTL amps and made in the USA too! 

My point being, value for money the Woo amps perform poorly.  This is 2017 and there are some amazing amps for similar price points.

I'd argue that the marketplace will set the price. If the product isn't selling (this doesn't just apply to Woo) the price will be decreased, or the model scrapped.

If a consumer feels the WA33 is a bad value at $8000 dollars, then the person will purchase an amp perceived to have a higher value.

My WA5LE v2 was $6000 dollars with upgrades. Is it a good value? I bought and enjoy the amp, so I would say yes. 

Based on what I've heard, the WA33 is a better amp than my WA5LE, and I have no problem with Woo pricing the amp higher than the WA5.  If I could figure out a way to sell off my WA5LE and add some money to it, I'd happily purchase the WA33, based on what I've heard. I believe it's the finest valve non-electrostatic headphone amp I've yet heard. You obviously have a different opinion, and I respect that.

You perceive (if I'm reading you correctly) that other amps perform better than the Woo amps, so I wouldn't expect you to purchase the product. 

I'm going to soapbox for a second, forgive me.

When I'm reviewing a product, or offering an opinion (I'm not a professional reviewer, but some manufacturers have sought out my opinion) I try to avoid being negative. There is a lot of negative energy that floats through the forums. For example, I found the Mr. Speakers electrostatic headphone to fall short of my expectations at the show. It was paired with the Blue Hawaii amp, one of my very favorite amps. Rather than bash the headphone, which certainly the manufacturer must believe to be a product of quality, I looked for weaknesses in the setup, and suggested that perhaps the exhibitors should consider better quality audio files, because I don't feel they represented the headphone's greatest qualities in the best way. By contrast, Sennheiser custom chose the tracks for auditioning on their HE-1. While this was limiting, it left the listener with little doubt about how well their system can perform. This is a round about way of trying to get people to look to the positives and avoid being hyper-critical, or at least find balance in what they write.

These companies work very hard to deliver what they believe are the best products they are able to produce. I appreciate and applaud their efforts. We are in a golden age for personal listening. Future enthusiasts will look back at this era with great nostalgia. We are experiencing a renaissance of development, the likes of which this industry has ever seen.

Apr 13, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #39,540 of 42,298
  I'm looking for an amp to drive HD600s and am considering WA3, would that be a good combination?

What's a decent, affordable DAC to go with it?

It's a match made in heaven 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back