Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 11, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #39,496 of 42,298
  The wa33 is very intriguing. Considering it comes with nearly 3k worth of tubes it is very fairly priced IMO.

I'd like to know which transformer they have gone with.  

From my understanding, it DOES NOT come with the upgraded tubes.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #39,498 of 42,298
  From my calculations we are talking about ~$420 in tubes in the WA33.  That's using Ebay as a source.  With Woo's markup we are talking a bit more.  I don't see the $8K price tag coming from the tubes.

Yup! Show attendees that spoke to Woo were given information about a standard tube set apparently. Not the one being displayed.  It's easy to load it up with Tak's, KR or my favourites EML to  almost half way to the purchase price.  

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #39,499 of 42,298
Well woo bought up the KR HP stock of 2a3s. So I thought it came with at least the stock KR 2a3 (which are not very reliable tubes).
I don't know which tubes they will supply which are stock? Some chinese or Sovtek?

I have several quads of RCA, avvt and other NOS tubes for my current amp, Cost for a quad of NOS these days is at least 1kusd. With higher end mono-plates or dual mono plates coming in at almost 1k a tube.

Cheaper quads of military wavy plate can be had for a bit cheaper but are not very nice sounding IMO.
So if the amp doesn't come with the JPS KR tubes, you're going to need to spend another 2kusd. Haha.

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #39,500 of 42,298
I'd certainly hope the stock tubes don't sound like absolute crap after spending that much... hmm.

Would've been nice if someone was able to hear it with stock tubes but I guess that wouldn't have been allowed at the show.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #39,501 of 42,298
  I'd certainly hope the stock tubes don't sound like absolute crap after spending that much... hmm.

Would've been nice if someone was able to hear it with stock tubes but I guess that wouldn't have been allowed at the show.

Actually, the WA33 should have been presented to hear with "stock" tubes only IMO.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #39,502 of 42,298

Actually, the WA33 should have been presented to hear with "stock" tubes only IMO.

Agreed, there should have been both versions.

Apr 11, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #39,504 of 42,298

Right, so you could choose if want the upgraded tube options or not.

Indeed, or see if you'll be ok with stock for a while, and get upgraded tubes later on etc.
Guess we'll get feedback from folks when the first set of w33 starts going out and we get stock vs upgraded comparisons.

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #39,506 of 42,298

I asked one of the Woo guys about that once, why are you displaying with only stock tubes? and they said people complain. I'm in the camp that I want to hear more of the full potential of the amp. I think they are right to max it out. Then you know what the potential is.

Edit: Wanted to expand a little bit more... People are walking away from that show mostly "OMG WA33 is amazing". Now switch it out to stock tubes and maybe people switch their attitude to well I can spend $1-2K for a SS amp that's as good, big waste of money that $8k is. I think that can swing a big difference in perception. I also would want to know if I spend $8k + upgrade the tubes I can have "that amazing experience".

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #39,507 of 42,298
I asked one of the Woo guys about that once, why are you displaying with only stock tubes? and they said people complain. I'm in the camp that I want to hear more of the full potential of the amp. I think they are right to max it out. Then you know what the potential is.

Edit: Wanted to expand a little bit more... People are walking away from that show mostly "OMG WA33 is amazing". Now switch it out to stock tubes and maybe people switch their attitude to well I can spend $1-2K for a SS amp that's as good, big waste of money that $8k is. I think that can swing a big difference in perception. I also would want to know if I spend $8k + upgrade the tubes I can have "that amazing experience".

That's why we said offer both, stock and tricked out. So we can hear the difference then and there. No one is suggesting a stock only showing.

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #39,508 of 42,298
That's why we said offer both, stock and tricked out. So we can hear the difference then and there. No one is suggesting a stock only showing.

Sure, but you're also asking them to ship, setup, tear down an awful lot of gear. I'm thinking about it from the perspective of what if they only bring one unit? Yea ultimately you're right one of each for comparison is better but they also have to deal with mechanical reality when prepping for shows. If it was that easy to do maybe they would already do that?

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #39,509 of 42,298
No idea how easy it is or what the logistics are, just letting them know what we'd like and maybe next show we may see it who knows. :)

That's the point of the thread no?

Thoughts, Opinions, suggestions, feedback.

And personally I'd be more inclined to grab a w33 sooner and upgrade later if I knew the stock was worth the initial investment, vs waiting longer till I have all the cash to get it fully tricked out at go.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #39,510 of 42,298
I wonder, how does it compare to the 234. If you max both, how close are they? 

I also think that they are right to show the setup with maxed tubes. And I don't think that setting up demos for stock v max tubes is in their best interest. You don't want people attributing the greatness of your amp to the tubes. That said, we would all like to know how it sounds with the stock tubes. I won't be buying anything that expensive anytime soon, but all of this is interesting for sure.

Basically though, even though they said it would cost 8k, the sticker shock didn't seem to kill off any interest. It seems to be universally praised. If it ends up being a really great amp, interesting times are ahead.

I don't think Woo is a perfect company, but I think they are more perfect than many other big time amp makers. I really would love to see them continue to succeed. They can send me a W33 for free too, and I will hope even harder.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back