Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 12, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #39,511 of 42,298
I think Woo needs to rethink their pricing.  Not just for the WA33.  

Amps such as the WA5 & WA22 have a slow lush sound but the WA33 is more fast and clean sounding, as mentioned by other members.  I am guessing Woo sees this sound as the future especially for a TOTL amp.  For 6k - 7k you are in Eddie Current 45 amp territory with upgraded tubes and well into Glenn 300B with Taks with some spare change.  Those are proper TOTL amps and made in the USA too! 

My point being, value for money the Woo amps perform poorly.  This is 2017 and there are some amazing amps for similar price points.

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #39,513 of 42,298
I think Woo needs to rethink their pricing.  Not just for the WA33.  

Amps such as the WA5 & WA22 have a slow lush sound but the WA33 is more fast and clean sounding, as mentioned by other members.  I am guessing Woo sees this sound as the future especially for a TOTL amp.  For 6k - 7k you are in Eddie Current 45 amp territory with upgraded tubes and well into Glenn 300B with Taks with some spare change.  Those are proper TOTL amps and made in the USA too! 

My point being, value for money the Woo amps perform poorly.  This is 2017 and there are some amazing amps for similar price points.

Can you think of a portable amp or dac/amp that competes against the WA8?

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #39,514 of 42,298
  I also think that they are right to show the setup with maxed tubes. And I don't think that setting up demos for stock v max tubes is in their best interest. You don't want people attributing the greatness of your amp to the tubes. That said, we would all like to know how it sounds with the stock tubes. 

But in reality people are attributing their amps greatness to the upgraded tubes if it's presented in this form. [size=x-small]All tube amps have the potential to sound better with upgraded tubes, so I believe they should be presented with stock tubes to show the amps factory sound-signature before spending on upgraded tubes. Hearing the amp in stock form just may [/size]allow you to get a better comparison between their other amps[size=x-small] and possibly buy a less expensive amp and upgrade the tubes with the same results while keeping a few grand in your pocket. [/size]
smile.gif

Apr 12, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #39,516 of 42,298

I also think that they are right to show the setup with maxed tubes. And I don't think that setting up demos for stock v max tubes is in their best interest. You don't want people attributing the greatness of your amp to the tubes. That said, we would all like to know how it sounds with the stock tubes. 

But in reality people are attributing their amps greatness to the upgraded tubes if it's presented in this form. [size=x-small]All tube amps have the potential to sound better with upgraded tubes, so I believe they should be presented with stock tubes to show the amps factory sound-signature before spending on upgraded tubes. Hearing the amp in stock form just may [/size]allow you to get a better comparison between their other amps[size=x-small] and possibly buy a less expensive amp and upgrade the tubes with the same results while keeping a few grand in your pocket. [/size]
smile.gif

Again, it is not in Woo's best interest to show you an amp that doesn't sound as good as it can. And it is certainly not in their best interest to try to provide you with a way to compare the amp to other great amps, so you can buy the other amps and save some money. They're out to sell Woo products, not ensure you make an informed decision.

They want you to hear it, love it, buy it. As do almost all companies.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #39,517 of 42,298
  Again, it is not in Woo's best interest to show you an amp that doesn't sound as good as it can. And it is certainly not in their best interest to try to provide you with a way to compare the amp to other great amps, so you can buy the other amps and save some money. They're out to sell Woo products, not ensure you make an informed decision.

I'm just curious.  What amps are "great" compared to Woo?

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #39,518 of 42,298

I Agree with this 100%, but not as a consumer.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #39,519 of 42,298
Can you think of a portable amp or dac/amp that competes against the WA8?

"Competes" is big territory to cover.  I'll list a few tube amps that are "similar" because they have tubes and are portable.  Jaben GoVibe Porta Tube, ALO Continental Dual Mono, Fostex HP-V1, ALO Continental V5.

I'd add the Hugo2 as well.  The new filters can make it sound almost like the Chord DAVE or the Mojo with a push of a button.  I might actually think about getting one of these to replace my WA8 purely because of battery life concerns.  I fly cross country a lot and the WA8 doesn't make it unless I plug it into an external battery.  I wish they doubled the size of the battery so I could get 7 or 8 hours, which would cover almost any flight I take.  

That said, the sound of the WA8 is sublime.  Woo hit this one out of the park sonically.  

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #39,520 of 42,298

I'd add the Hugo2 as well.  The new filters can make it sound almost like the Chord DAVE or the Mojo with a push of a button.  I might actually think about getting one of these to replace my WA8 purely because of battery life concerns.  I fly cross country a lot and the WA8 doesn't make it unless I plug it into an external battery.  I wish they doubled the size of the battery so I could get 7 or 8 hours, which would cover almost any flight I take.  

That said, the sound of the WA8 is sublime.  Woo hit this one out of the park sonically.  

I've not heard the WA8 but have owned the WA7 recently.  The WA7 has the same performance as the WA8 according to Mike at Woo.  I'm guessing that equals the audio performance too.  I really loved my WA7, but wanted something portable so I sold my WA7 to purchase a iBasso DX200.  I highly recommend the DX200.  The performance of DX200 is excellent and on par with my Woo WA7.  It does have a slightly different sound signature from the Woo gear.  I'm adding a Fostex HP-V1 to my portable rig to give me the tube sound signature if I want it.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #39,521 of 42,298

I've not heard the WA8 but have owned the WA7 recently.  The WA7 has the same performance as the WA8 according to Mike at Woo.  I'm guessing that equals the audio performance too.  I really loved my WA7, but wanted something portable so I sold my WA7 to purchase a iBasso DX200.  I highly recommend the DX200.  The performance of DX200 is excellent and on par with my Woo WA7.  It does have a slightly different sound signature from the Woo gear.  I'm adding a Fostex HP-V1 to my portable rig to give me the tube sound signature if I want it.

Funny, I don't think the WA8 and the WA7 sound alike at all.  The WA8 is warmer with more tube flavor, and the WA7 is much more linear and analytical.  The WA7 is actually the only amp in Woo's lineup that I don't love, except for its looks--the unit is absolutely beautiful.  Too cold for me.  I like my tube amps to sound a bit warm--otherwise I would go solid state.  

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #39,522 of 42,298

Funny, I don't think the WA8 and the WA7 sound alike at all.  The WA8 is warmer with more tube flavor, and the WA7 is much more linear and analytical.  The WA7 is actually the only amp in Woo's lineup that I don't love, except for its looks--the unit is absolutely beautiful.  Too cold for me.  I like my tube amps to sound a bit warm--otherwise I would go solid state.  

I've not heard the WA8.  My assumptions may have been incorrect.  I didn't think my WA7 was cold at all.  In fact with cryoed Russian 6C45P-E tubes it was warm sounding.  I can see that with the stock Sovtek tubes, they were terrible and made it sound harsh.

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #39,523 of 42,298

I've not heard the WA8.  My assumptions were incorrect.  I didn't think my WA7 was cold at all.  In fact with cryoed Russian 6C45P-E tubes it was warm sounding.  I can see that with the stock Sovtek tubes, they were terrible and made it sound harsh.

Good point.  I only heard the WA7 with the stock tubes and wasn't impressed.  Probably sounds better with better tubes.  

Apr 12, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #39,525 of 42,298

I Agree with this 100%, but not as a consumer.

This.

My concern is not what is in woo's best interest, My concern is what's in my best interest as a consumer who's about to drop 8000$ on their product. And as a consumer id like to know how it sounds stock. They may actually even get sales from folks like myself and @joseph69 when they previously would not otherwise, as we may grab the amp stock and run it for a couple years then upgrade tubes later on, rather than just not buying it at all until we have cash for the whole lot altogether. Logistics aside, i really dont see how showing stock performance will hurt. The last thing they want is someone hearing the w33 at canjam, running out and buying it stock, then disappointed with the performance stock because it doesnt live up, then proceeds to return it. At least you'll know what you're getting into.

Take the abyss for e.g., it wasn't just shown on the rig it sounds the "Best" on, it were on various setups, which i appreciate, because you can get to hear how it sound in a couple different scenarios and see what matches yours the best and decide if you wanna jump in grab the Abyss and worry about upgrading to extract its full potential later.

It's int heir best interest to make $, but it's in my best interest to spend it wisely, and thus i'll request amenities that would help make that decision. As a consumer, your priority should be yourself. :)

Anyways, this is becoming a bit off topic, so *patiently waiting on some stock impressions*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back