Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 17, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #39,587 of 42,298

The stand is a Sonora 4 shelf. The shelves give you a lot of clearance. The shelves are tempered glass and are rated for quite a bit more weight than the WA5-LE. The other factors were width and depth. They are more than deep and wide enough. Price was reasonable and was available at one of my go to suppliers.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #39,588 of 42,298
Couldn't agree more. The Chord DAVE is the most lifelike DAC I have ever heard. Much more so than the Yggdrasil. The headphone out is also quite good, and I use that frequently--almost as much as using the WA22 fed from the DAVE.

The lack of DSD is puzzling for an endgame amp like the Yggy. I use Roon and upsample to DSD 256--the sound is GLORIOUS! It would have been nice to have that option in the Schiit.

How does the WA22 sound fed from the Dave? Is it precise enough to keep up with Dave's lightning fast transient response? What tubes are you using? Hugo 2/WA22 w/ NOS tubes/LCD-4 is gonna be end game for me for a while. Gotta focus on the 2 channel system in the living room now. H2 is very close to Dave's SQ so I'm hoping when it arrives it'll play nice with the WA22.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #39,589 of 42,298
Only Schiit I've heard is the Yggy.
So my suggestion is really just speculation.
A lot of you will know way more about it than I do.

Welp, I guess I'm gonna have to convert you. Totally bringing Hugo 2 over for a good ol fashioned dac shootout. *evil laugh*

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #39,590 of 42,298
Welp, I guess I'm gonna have to convert you. Totally bringing Hugo 2 over for a good ol fashioned dac shootout. *evil laugh*

Hey Kyle,
That would be cool.
But who the convert is remains to be determined. *equally evil laugh*
Check out Harley's review of Yggy in new TAS.
PM me your email and I will send you a PDF.

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #39,591 of 42,298
How does the WA22 sound fed from the Dave? Is it precise enough to keep up with Dave's lightning fast transient response? What tubes are you using? Hugo 2/WA22 w/ NOS tubes/LCD-4 is gonna be end game for me for a while. Gotta focus on the 2 channel system in the living room now. H2 is very close to Dave's SQ so I'm hoping when it arrives it'll play nice with the WA22.

The WA22 sounds awesome for the DAVE, but to be honest, I use it primarily for my HD800's only. I think the synergy with the HD800 is incredible, and they sound a bit too lean straight out of the DAVE.

Everything else I primarily run out of the DAVE's headphone out. I think the Utopia and the Eikon do usually sound better straight out of the DAVE, except for rock and hip-hop. The WA22 adds fullness and body to both for those genres.

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #39,592 of 42,298
:)

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:24 AM Post #39,593 of 42,298
The WA22 sounds awesome for the DAVE, but to be honest, I use it primarily for my HD800's only. I think the synergy with the HD800 is incredible, and they sound a bit too lean straight out of the DAVE.

Everything else I primarily run out of the DAVE's headphone out. I think the Utopia and the Eikon do usually sound better straight out of the DAVE, except for rock and hip-hop. The WA22 adds fullness and body to both for those genres.

Right on. So you don't lose much detail from the dave through WA22?

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #39,595 of 42,298
Right on. So you don't lose much detail from the dave through WA22?

I don't think you lose detail per se, but you do lose a bit of the transparency that the DAVE is known for. Different flavors for different moods. The WA22 adds some of that tube goodness which is awesome for relaxing or just rocking out.

That said, the WA33 from the ESS super DAC at CanJam was as holographic as I have ever heard. I'm gonna have to see how the WA33 pairs with the DAVE in the future.

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #39,596 of 42,298
I don't think you lose detail per se, but you do lose a bit of the transparency that the DAVE is known for. Different flavors for different moods. The WA22 adds some of that tube goodness which is awesome for relaxing or just rocking out.

That said, the WA33 from the ESS super DAC at CanJam was as holographic as I have ever heard. I'm gonna have to see how the WA33 pairs with the DAVE in the future.

Ahhh gotcha. Mojo-->WA22 has been holding me over til my Hugo 2 ships cuz after an hour or so warmup WA22 smooths over most Mojo shortcomings with tube magic. But man the LCD-4s are so revealing they are not liking the Mojo at all. It's grain city. Almost unlistenable tbh. Same thing with my new CA Vega IEMs. I think I'm just gonna have to wait for the H2 before another sesh, it's that bad. Mojo is incredible til you use more revealing cans then it's yuck especially in the highs.

But yeah that WA33/Abyss Phi/ESS combo was also as holographic as I'd ever heard from headphones too. I A/B tested my 4s with balanced dual 3 pin Alo Reference cable vs. Abyss Phi with its similar Kimber cable on that rig. I gotta say, my LCD-4s kept up extremely admirably, but the Abyss Phi won by a narrow margin. 4s were just trying to dazzle me with what those drivers can pull off with imaging, speed, and detail..which they did. Then Abyss came in like sit down kiddo this is how instruments actually sound. Timber was just barely more natural and realistic than LCD-4s. The Utopias through that same system were impressive but couldn't even sit at the cool kids table.

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #39,597 of 42,298
Ahhh gotcha. Mojo-->WA22 has been holding me over til my Hugo 2 ships cuz after an hour or so warmup WA22 smooths over most Mojo shortcomings with tube magic. But man the LCD-4s are so revealing they are not liking the Mojo at all. It's grain city. Almost unlistenable tbh. Same thing with my new CA Vega IEMs. I think I'm just gonna have to wait for the H2 before another sesh, it's that bad. Mojo is incredible til you use more revealing cans then it's yuck especially in the highs.

But yeah that WA33/Abyss Phi/ESS combo was also as holographic as I'd ever heard from headphones too. I A/B tested my 4s with balanced dual 3 pin Alo Reference cable vs. Abyss Phi with its similar Kimber cable on that rig. I gotta say, my LCD-4s kept up extremely admirably, but the Abyss Phi won by a narrow margin. 4s were just trying to dazzle me with what those drivers can pull off with imaging, speed, and detail..which they did. Then Abyss came in like sit down kiddo this is how instruments actually sound. Timber was just barely more natural and realistic than LCD-4s. The Utopias through that same system were impressive but couldn't even sit at the cool kids table.

I hear you on the Mojo.  I've tried to keep my mouth shut about it, as I don't love the sound of the Mojo with any top set of cans.  The treble roll-off is real and not desirable to me.  And the shape is hard to hold in my pocket.  Thus, I've simplified my on the go setup to a Campfire Andromeda with a Lightning connector.  Works a lot better for my on-the-go needs.  

It's funny how we all hear things differently though.  I loved the Abyss Phi though the same setup, but I thought the Utopia really shined though it as well.  I think the Abyss might have too much bass for my tastes though.  And I don't know why it has to look like a halo gravity traction setup--can't some money be put into making the headphones look good and be comfortable to wear as well?  I find them so hard to get the fit right and be comfortable.  For $4000, headphones should be wearable IMHO.  

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #39,598 of 42,298
I hear you on the Mojo.  I've tried to keep my mouth shut about it, as I don't love the sound of the Mojo with any top set of cans.  The treble roll-off is real and not desirable to me.  And the shape is hard to hold in my pocket.  Thus, I've simplified my on the go setup to a Campfire Andromeda with a Lightning connector.  Works a lot better for my on-the-go needs.  

It's funny how we all hear things differently though.  I loved the Abyss Phi though the same setup, but I thought the Utopia really shined though it as well.  I think the Abyss might have too much bass for my tastes though.  And I don't know why it has to look like a halo gravity traction setup--can't some money be put into making the headphones look good and be comfortable to wear as well?  I find them so hard to get the fit right and be comfortable.  For $4000, headphones should be wearable IMHO.  

Right? If they had a "normal" fit and adjustment band I'd already be trying to sell my 4s to get the Phi. But yeah haha we definitely have different tastes in sound signature..which is funny cuz you have Campfire Andromedas and I have the Vegas. Or your Utopias and my LCD-4s. I agree if you like more airy focused presentation then you have the right stuff, and that Utopia/WA33 combo would be the bees knees for you. I definitely like fuller sound hence my gear choice so our subjective opinions totally make sense. I like how we represent the dark side of the force and the light with our stuff lol. But we both dig Chord and Woo..that's so cool.

Anyway, how's that lightning cable for the Andromedas? Is the little builtin dac/amp better than the Apple adapter's? I tried to audition it at CanJam but the one they had wouldn't work on my iPhone 7 :frowning2:

Apr 19, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #39,599 of 42,298
Right? If they had a "normal" fit and adjustment band I'd already be trying to sell my 4s to get the Phi. But yeah haha we definitely have different tastes in sound signature..which is funny cuz you have Campfire Andromedas and I have the Vegas. Or your Utopias and my LCD-4s. I agree if you like more airy focused presentation then you have the right stuff, and that Utopia/WA33 combo would be the bees knees for you. I definitely like fuller sound hence my gear choice so our subjective opinions totally make sense.

Anyway, how's that lightning cable for the Andromedas? Is the little builtin dac/amp better than the Apple adapter's? I tried to audition it at CanJam but the one they had wouldn't work on my iPhone 7
frown.gif

Just got it yesterday.  So far, it is great.  The sound is a touch darker than out of the 3.5mm and dongle, but there is no background hiss which is awesome.  They must have tweaked the output resistance to make it that way.  And I will do anything that will add simplicity to my on-the-go life.  The attached Lightning connector means no carrying around a portable DAC or losing the dongle in an airplane or airport.  Just can't wait until they make a Reference 8 cable with a Lightning connector--that would be my dream!

And yes, different strokes for different folks.  The LCD-4's are awesome as well--I just prefer the presentation of the Utopia more, but that in no way makes the LCD-4 a bad headphone.  I'm just glad there are so many options for enthusiasts like us!

beerchug.gif

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #39,600 of 42,298
Here is a question for Woo WA5-LE/WA5 owners.  I have a WA5-LE with EML 520B V3 for power, EML 5U4G for rectification, and Sylvania 6F8G Tubes with adapters for drivers and a Furutech Audiophile fuse installed.  The most noticeable short coming of my Woo is that the last little bit of treble and resolution.  When I use my Violectric V281, I can hear the nuanced details of my music.  Such as the brushes touching the snare drum or the air around instruments and voices.  There is a layer of resolution missing on the Woo.  I've certainly spent a pile of money on tubes.  Based on other owners experience, were there any other changes that I can make?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back