Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 31, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #38,671 of 42,298
Which tubes do you recommend replacing first? My budget is a bit shot because of the WA5 purchase. I would appreciate tubes on the lower end of the price spectrum.

I have own a WA5-LE with all the electronic upgrades plus other customization) for about 5 years. My recommendation is to replace first the 300B tubes. Normally the stock drivers and rectifiers are not too bad. 
I good tube to go with that is not cheap but also not as expensive as the Taks are the EML 300B Mesh. After the power tubes I would replace the rectifiers and I would go with Mullards, Brimars or Chemlers. Then you can change the drivers. My favorite driver is the TS 6F8G Black Glass/Round Plates but you will need an adapter for them.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 2, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #38,672 of 42,298
Question on the headphone settings on the WA5-LE.  Using my usual headphones (HE1000, 800S and Beyer T5Ps) which I know the settings but just got IEMs (Shure SE846).  I want to try it with the adapter.  I am guessing the power is LOW, impedence is LOW as well.  Is the level LOW or HIGH?

Sep 2, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #38,673 of 42,298
  Question on the headphone settings on the WA5-LE.  Using my usual headphones (HE1000, 800S and Beyer T5Ps) which I know the settings but just got IEMs (Shure SE846).  I want to try it with the adapter.  I am guessing the power is LOW, impedence is LOW as well.  Is the level LOW or HIGH?

You'll want all the settings on LOW.

And if I was going to do that, I'd set the music playing before I had inserted them in my ears and would do so gradually, until I was sure that the lowest playing level wasn't going to take out my ears anyway!

Sep 3, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #38,675 of 42,298
Which tubes do you recommend replacing first? My budget is a bit shot because of the WA5 purchase. I would appreciate tubes on the lower end of the price spectrum.

Go EML, you get a 5 year warranty, reasonable pricing, mesh will give you a softer mellow sound, the flat plates (normal) also sound very good and are more dynamic. Depends on what type of music you like. Does the WA5 support 2A3's or 45's?

Sep 3, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #38,676 of 42,298
@isquirrel  Congratulations, Simon, on moving over to Headphone dot Guru.

I really like that site and I just noticed that on your title. When you write something there post a link back. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #38,677 of 42,298
  @isquirrel  Congratulations, Simon, on moving over to Headphone dot Guru.

I really like that site and I just noticed that on your title. When you write something there post a link back. 
beerchug.gif

Than you, I am in the middle of some interesting reviews. They should be up in the next couple of months, I will indeed post a link here as they do indeed use Woo products in them.

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #38,678 of 42,298
Quick question. Just picked up a WA7, are these meant to be switched off or is it alright to leave them on all the time? Also, how long do the stock tubes last for before needing replacement? Thank you in advance.

Sep 4, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #38,679 of 42,298
Quick question. Just picked up a WA7, are these meant to be switched off or is it alright to leave them on all the time? Also, how long do the stock tubes last for before needing replacement? Thank you in advance.

Tubes have a lifetime, I would turn it off when not in use. Not sure how long the tubes will last but I've heard people say to expect 5000+ hrs on a lot of tubes.

Sep 5, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #38,680 of 42,298

I recall the manual recommending to avoid having the amp on for more than 8 hours at a time.

Sep 5, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #38,682 of 42,298
Thank you gents!

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #38,684 of 42,298
My third batch of Chesky CD's arrived today.

My Chesky collection so far.

I will give a review in a week or two. Once I've given them all a good listen.

Also experimenting with SS rectifiers. In particular the Weber Copper Cap. So far it is friggin amazing. Might look odd however the sound is legendary. Better than the TAK274B.

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #38,685 of 42,298
  i feel you, i had the stock tubes for while too because of the budget :' )

the 1st tubes i went with were the brimer gy5z something, forgot the name XD i think its on my review check it out

these says to be 70~90% as good as TA-247 but the price is like super cheap. less than 50$ for a pair.

make sure to check who is the best seller for these. but searching in the thread for "Brimer" etc. 

for the 300B save like 300$ and get the Mesh Plate upgrade. you can check alternatives as well.

I'd say change the rectifier first, try something like the Brimar 5Z4GY cause they're pretty cheap, and then there's lots of 6SN7s you could try. I've been running 6F8G and 6C8G which you need an adapter for which will cost more than the Brimar tubes but so far I've liked even the ultra cheap RCA over most of the 6SN7s I tried. I got a cheap pair of RCA 6SN7 GTs that were decent for like $30. The 300Bs are pretty expensive so you could wait on those.

Check out the EMLs.  They cost enough to "hurt" but well under the top tier Taks.  I think the EMLs are in the sweet spot as far as price to value.

I'd go with a 300B first, then the rectifier.  Do the driver last.  You're going to drive yourself nuts looking for the right pair (everyone does). 

The one thing I'll warn you about: changing one set of tubes affects the sound relationship between the others.  One brand of 300B will sound different when paired with a GZ34, Brimar, 274, or 596 and so forth.

I have own a WA5-LE with all the electronic upgrades plus other customization) for about 5 years. My recommendation is to replace first the 300B tubes. Normally the stock drivers and rectifiers are not too bad. 
I good tube to go with that is not cheap but also not as expensive as the Taks are the EML 300B Mesh. After the power tubes I would replace the rectifiers and I would go with Mullards, Brimars or Chemlers. Then you can change the drivers. My favorite driver is the TS 6F8G Black Glass/Round Plates but you will need an adapter for them.

Go EML, you get a 5 year warranty, reasonable pricing, mesh will give you a softer mellow sound, the flat plates (normal) also sound very good and are more dynamic. Depends on what type of music you like. Does the WA5 support 2A3's or 45's?

Thanks everyone for the all of the excellent input!  I'm still waiting for my amp to show up. 

On 300Bs.. where is everyone getting their EML 300Bs at, and what should I pay for them?  Has anyone tried the Genalex Gold Lion PX300B with the WA5?

I already own a pair of Brimar 5Z4Gs from my WA22 and I'm going to try those as soon as I get the amp.

Where are you getting your TS 6F8G @musicman59?  How much should I expect to pay?  Do I need adapters for them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back