Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 6, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #38,686 of 42,298

Thanks everyone for the all of the excellent input!  I'm still waiting for my amp to show up. 

On 300Bs.. where is everyone getting their EML 300Bs at, and what should I pay for them?  Has anyone tried the Genalex Gold Lion PX300B with the WA5?

I already own a pair of Brimar 5Z4Gs from my WA22 and I'm going to try those as soon as I get the amp.

Where are you getting your TS 6F8G @musicman59?  How much should I expect to pay?  Do I need adapters for them?

You can get the EML from tubesusa.com the Mesh version is about $850 pr.
You can get the 6F8G form ebay. They used to be pretty cheap but now they are probably around $200-$250 for the TS round plates/black glass. There are other brands with flat plates that will give you about 85% of the sound for about 50% of the cost. 
Yes, you need adapters. The best IMO are form Glenn (2359glenn here in the forum).

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 6, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #38,688 of 42,298
Also experimenting with SS rectifiers. In particular the Weber Copper Cap. So far it is friggin amazing. Might look odd however the sound is legendary. Better than the TAK274B.

You're other tube recommendations have been spot on. That's super high praise saying it's better than the very expensive TAK274B. Are you worried this could cause a problem long term since it's not actually a tube? Woo strongly advises to avoid using SS rectifier plugs and says staying with a pure tube solution is the best way to experience the amp.

Sep 6, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #38,689 of 42,298

You're other tube recommendations have been spot on. That's super high praise saying it's better than the very expensive TAK274B. Are you worried this could cause a problem long term since it's not actually a tube? Woo strongly advises to avoid using SS rectifier plugs and says staying with a pure tube solution is the best way to experience the amp.

I think woo audio does not want to use SS rectifier because it gives full power to the tubes instead of gradually increasing it. After doing a bit research it shows that this SS rectifier does slowly increase the power but at a faster rate then a normal tube. I will do some more research because this SS rectifier seems different then the ones I looked at before.

Update:
After doing more research it seems like the company tells its buyers do no use it in HIFI amps.

Sep 6, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #38,690 of 42,298

I think woo audio does not want to use SS rectifier because it gives full power to the tubes instead of gradually increasing it. After doing a bit research it shows that this SS rectifier does slowly increase the power but at a faster rate then a normal tube. I will do some more research because this SS rectifier seems different then the ones I looked at before.

Update:
After doing more research it seems like the company tells its buyers do no use it in HIFI amps.

Weber Copper Cap WU4GB is the way to go as it has a -50 volts at maximum current. Just like a regular tube. WU4GB is a drop in replacement for 5U4G. The Woo amp wouldn't even know that it is solid state. The Woo amp has no way of knowing it is not a tube. Everything is at a tube specification. The benefit is no tube lag. Regular voltage. That's where I'm hearing sound improvements. Tube rectifiers are a waste of time. All they do is turn AC voltage to DC voltage. SS is far better for the task. More manufactures should make amps with SS rectifiers built in.

Some other SS rectifiers made my amp hot. Too much voltage. That's the extra 50 volts in the amp. So they are a no go.

An example of a different SS rectifier I trialed.

Weber Copper Cap WU4GB actually made my WA22 run cold. 3 hours plus and the chassis was still cool (The copper on the rectifier got hot but the amp transformers ran cool). So they are better for the amp than a regular tube.

Sound benefits I have noted:

Increased bass and it is clean. No bloom.
Faster. Sound has a real snap to it. My tube amp can now pass my speed test track. Robert Palmer - Some like it hot. In the past it always just fell apart.
Treble. Oh! this has been a massive improvement. TAK274B just sounds veiled compared to SS. Extra detail and Wow it is clean and clear. No harshness. Alison Krauss - New Favorite. Her voice actually croaks on some high notes. Never heard this before and it is a go to track for me. Extra detail.
Noise level. The quietest it has ever been. Just no hum or buzz. Dead quiet.

No side effects to sound that I have heard. The same soundstage and holographics as the TAK274B.

Something else to consider. The rectifier sounds great from the first second. No warm up period needed. My amp now sounds it's best from the instant it is used.

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #38,691 of 42,298
Any one with WA5 wants to try it?

Because I am worried about a bold message on WU4GB page "FOR USE IN GUITA AMPS. Not designed for use with HIFI tube amps, tube radios, etc".

Also what about "WS1 Copper Cap" it say it is OK to use with HIFI tube amps.

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #38,692 of 42,298

Because I am worried about a bold message on WU4GB page "FOR USE IN GUITA AMPS. Not designed for use with HIFI tube amps, tube radios, etc".

I contacted Weber and the recommended it. It is designed to provide the exact same voltage as a 5U4G.

If you like just wait. It is not coming out of my amp. Just sounds so damn good. If something bad is going to happen it will happen in the next few weeks. I will report it.

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #38,694 of 42,298

I was looking at the WS1 also. That has a chance of being a better solution than the WU4GB. It's all about the voltage drop at max voltage. The WU4GB drops 50 volts just like a 5U4G tube. Only reason they say not for HiFi amps is that voltage drop is a bit and I suspect they think HiFi users don't want that kind of voltage drop. You could get better results with one using less of a voltage drop. The GZ34 is on the Woo recommended rectifier list. Unlike the 5U4G it only drops 17 volts at maximum voltage. In theory this would provide more speed, punch and control. So a copper cap that is closer to that 17 volt drop is entirely feasible. I was going to do a bit of research on it but to be honest the WU4GB is hitting all the right buttons and with less voltage it will run cooler and be easier on amp components. So I might just leave my exploring and research where it is.

Dame badas you are too fast for me, I have edited that message in less then a minute and you have replied to it before I could finish.

:D

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #38,696 of 42,298
I have emailed Jack about WU4GB lets see what he say. If he say that it is good I will try it with WA5-LE.

You will get a reply from Mike. He won't endorse it. You will get a standard reply saying only tubes on the list.

I'm using the amp right now. It is amazing how quiet it keeps the other tubes. No hiss, hum or noise of any kind. Shows how important the rectifier is. Constant clean voltage is the key.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #38,697 of 42,298

This is because in Hi fi inter grated amps there is also a AM-FM tuner phono stage preamp that might not work right with the voltage drop.
You don't want to use the WS1 with no voltage drop this is what BADAS originally had that overheated his amp.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #38,699 of 42,298
Very interesting development using Weber Copper Caps.  Very affordable compared to other options.  I'm waiting to see the outcome. 
popcorn.gif

When I get my WA5 LE I'll purchase a pair and report back.

Sep 7, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #38,700 of 42,298
Well. I ran my amp for 7 hours solid last night. No rest. Music feed into it the entire time. Volume loud (over half way).
No overheat issues. Amp got coolish warmish at the most.

Absolutely zero noise from the other tubes. Which I find interesting as I always got a bit of hum or buzz on and off. If you listened to no music you would swear you were listening to a extremely well built SS amp.

Sound. Well I've already said it. It is the best I've heard from my WA22 and I've owned it a fair while now. I bet my WA22 could have taken on a NOS equipped WA5 last night and it would have been competitive (actually I think it would have won on detail). The times I have heard a kitted out WA5's they have not been as good as what I heard last night.

BIG WARNING THO GUYS. Don't buy these because of my comments. I take no responsibility. This is purely experimental. Not endorsed by Woo Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back