Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 27, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #38,641 of 42,298
If u are looking for a "reference" and "accurate" sound, yes the ECBA is a great amp for HD650, HD800S, T1 and many more. Woo amps are less accurate, but more euphony.

I used to love the tube euphonic sound a lot but of late I seem to be veering towards a more solid state sound, neutrality is what some call it I suppose. Looks like the ECBA may be a good addition if I can save up enough for it lol

Well, it's personal preference and it also depends on matching. Personally, I like richer and fuller sounding amps like Woo's for stringent sounding cans like the HD800, and a neutral and powerful amp for the HE1000. If u like neutrality, the ECBA is better than many SS amps. Better soundstage depth, more organic, more air between instruments and even more transparent than many SS amps I heard.

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #38,642 of 42,298
Really wish we had access to eddy current gear here. Sounds like it's really good.

I do like analytical/natural sounding Hi-Fi, I have nice SS pre/power and a clean DAC driving B&W 804's. But when the speakers are cm from my ears, I find that kind of analytical sound very fatiguing. I can't handle HD800's, for example, but one could say they're the headphone equivalent of my speakers. To be fair, I've never heard them with a WA5, though I'd be keen to. That's just my experience and preference so far.

Aug 28, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #38,643 of 42,298
Well, it's personal preference and it also depends on matching. Personally, I like richer and fuller sounding amps like Woo's for stringent sounding cans like the HD800, and a neutral and powerful amp for the HE1000. If u like neutrality, the ECBA is better than many SS amps. Better soundstage depth, more organic, more air between instruments and even more transparent than many SS amps I heard.

Sounds like my kinda sound preference. How's the bass like with ECBA?

Aug 28, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #38,644 of 42,298

Sounds like my kinda sound preference. How's the bass like with ECBA?

Bass is well controlled, extended and neutral

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #38,645 of 42,298
  Ok here we go, still looks good sitting randomly on a desk

Beautiful...
beerchug.gif

Sold my WA22 and don't miss it one bit after using the WA5LE V2

WA22 is good, but compared to WA5-LE it's no comparison. Those 300B tubes are magical....

Aug 28, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #38,647 of 42,298
I have a few tube related questions! You can tell I'm new to this...

Anyone compared the Sophia Electric 6SN7 vs the CV181-z treasures? 

Anyone used the Sophia Electric 274B Aquas to replace the 5U4G's? 

Anyone used the Sophia Electric Classic 300B tubes? 

Lastly, where do you buy EML tubes from? Their website and those linked on it seem quite B-grade!

All advice appreciated! 

Aug 28, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #38,648 of 42,298
  I have a few tube related questions! You can tell I'm new to this...

Anyone compared the Sophia Electric 6SN7 vs the CV181-z treasures? 

Anyone used the Sophia Electric 274B Aquas to replace the 5U4G's? 

Anyone used the Sophia Electric Classic 300B tubes? 

Lastly, where do you buy EML tubes from? Their website and those linked on it seem quite B-grade!

All advice appreciated! 

Well I don't have much experience here but when I asked about the Sophia Electric and CV181 Treasures, people told me that they are over priced for what you get and the best sounding tubes are old stock. I remember reading a few posts a long time ago with some initial excitement about the CV181 Treasures but then it seemed like the conclusion I read is they're really not a great value. Again I don't have any experience with them but that is how I remember it from what I read.

I did buy the EML 300B from tubesusa.com. And yes B-grade or something like that could describe the site. I don't think they do a huge volume of sales. I think the guy had to order the tubes, and then re-ship them on to me. That said other than it took a couple weeks, the experience was fine and I'm happy with the tubes.

Aug 28, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #38,649 of 42,298
I considered the WA5LE, but had concerns and doubts whether a 300B could be properly driven by a 6SN7. Lot's of links like these out there and here on headfi:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/249855-6sn7-300b-2.html
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/300Bredux/redux.html
http://www.head-fi.org/t/479031/6sn7-tube-addicts/4515

From what the WA5/LE owners are reporting, then it seems like Woo did indeed do a fine job of being able to properly drive the 300B's with 6SN7's. I especially like the separation of the two boxes. 

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #38,650 of 42,298
Well I don't have much experience here but when I asked about the Sophia Electric and CV181 Treasures, people told me that they are over priced for what you get and the best sounding tubes are old stock. I remember reading a few posts a long time ago with some initial excitement about the CV181 Treasures but then it seemed like the conclusion I read is they're really not a great value. Again I don't have any experience with them but that is how I remember it from what I read.

I did buy the EML 300B from tubesusa.com. And yes B-grade or something like that could describe the site. I don't think they do a huge volume of sales. I think the guy had to order the tubes, and then re-ship them on to me. That said other than it took a couple weeks, the experience was fine and I'm happy with the tubes.

Ah ok. New prices are quite high, some old NOS sylvanias are similar in price and do review well. I have some near me with low hours on them for far cheaper than new so that's why I was interested to know.

Ok, I might contact tube USA and see what the deal is!

Aug 29, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #38,652 of 42,298
Nice. The ECC35 are some of my favorite tubes. Shame those on eBay have different construction - not sure if that will make too much of a difference. Definitely a good price.

Aug 29, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #38,654 of 42,298
Check the construction carefully on those tubes on eBay. They are not the same. The ECC31 - 35 all come with quite a few construction differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back