Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 28, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #31,007 of 42,299

... he could have bought 16 groundhogs.  

Octal groundhogs, or do you need an adapter?
blink.gif

Sep 28, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #31,008 of 42,299
Just had my first tube blow. A Psvane CV181 went bye bye in style - series of loud bangs, some smoke, and the tube is history.

I took the cover off the bottom of the WA5 amp unit - no damage as best I can tell. Sound is unaffected and no components look fried. Fortunately my SERPs also appear + sound undamaged. Rather scary moment. Wrecked amp + SERPs would be expensive (even if the warranty on both items was honored, that would be quite a hassle from New Zealand).

Anyone else out there had a tube die with some dramatics?

Sep 28, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #31,009 of 42,299
  Just had my first tube blow. A Psvane CV181 went bye bye in style - series of loud bangs, some smoke, and the tube is history.

I took the cover off the bottom of the WA5 amp unit - no damage as best I can tell. Sound is unaffected and no components look fried. Fortunately my SERPs also appear + sound undamaged. Rather scary moment. Wrecked amp + SERPs would be expensive (even if the warranty on both items was honored, that would be quite a hassle from New Zealand).

Yoooowch. That doesn't sound fun (excuse the pun). Sorry for you. I know you were super excited about the Psvane. Glad to hear none of your equipment is damaged tho.

Sep 28, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #31,010 of 42,299

Use Nos 6SN7s in the future

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #31,011 of 42,299

Use Nos 6SN7s in the future

And play the game of decreasing availability and increasing cost. I have several sets of NOS 6SN7s and have found the price to performance ratio unimpressive for almost all of them.

For this hobby to have a future new production tubes have to have a place, otherwise we are eventually going to be paying vintage WE300B prices for NOS 6SN7s.

I am writing this one off as bad luck and will be using my WA6 for burning in new 6SN7s in future.

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #31,012 of 42,299

I am writing this one off as bad luck and will be using my WA6 for burning in new 6SN7s in future.

Oh, not the WA6!!!!!

Sep 29, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #31,015 of 42,299

Think he meant the above pictured combination sounds good at $60 total.  Then he has a pair of Sylvania's that he spent $16 on to get.  At least that is what I got, he could have bought 16 groundhogs.  

Hmm, thats quite cheap for some 6SN7WGTA's if thats what he's saying.
I wonder how much groundhogs are going for these days. 
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #31,019 of 42,299
My WA22 high gain / low gain doesn't seem to work.

If I have the volume set half way playing music and I switch from high to low should there be a difference in volume?

On mine it is exactly the same level.:confused_face_2:

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #31,020 of 42,299

yup, guess that' the 3d printed prototype

Quote: https://www.facebook.com/parttime.audiophile/posts/495451670590728
 Woo Audio WA8 portable 32bit DAC/amp. Builds on the Fireflies DAC section, with tubes (bitty little Russian ones) and battery. Price is TBD, but should be under $2k. Metalwork ready by CanJam! Thanks, New York Audio Show!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back