Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 29, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #31,036 of 42,298
On ebay. Won an auction. If you look hard enough  you should get them for around $ 20 (or less with a little bit of luck & patience). I just did a search & found one for $ 25.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sylvania-6sn7-gta-Rectifier-Tubes-Matched-Structure-Strong-Pair-/291244274422?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item43cf82f2f6

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #31,037 of 42,298
  On ebay. Won an auction. If you look hard enough  you should get them for around $ 20 (or less with a little bit of luck & patience). I just did a search & found one for $ 25.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sylvania-6sn7-gta-Rectifier-Tubes-Matched-Structure-Strong-Pair-/291244274422?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item43cf82f2f6

WOW!
Thanks for the link…I can't believe the price for these tubes.
I personally love these these tubes with my WA6.

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #31,038 of 42,298
I checked the going prices on eBay for the Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's, and the prices sure did drop quite a bit compared to about 4-5 months ago…I paid top $ for most of mine and I've got 6 pairs, and don't need anymore…too bad for me, but it seems it's a good time to buy for those who are interested.

Sep 29, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #31,039 of 42,298
  What tubes are you currently using ? Some of my tubes had sharp treble which disappeared out after about 70-100 hrs of burn in.

I'm using the Mullard GZ32 rectifier. Nice big difference when I switched that out.

The Tung Sol 7236 from Woo for power tubes. I didn't notice any sound change just extra volume. Also have the Svetlana 6N13s coming.

and Sylvania 6SN7GTB's as driver tubes. Also have some RCA USA 6SN7GT smoked coming.

The current tubes sound is close. Very close. Just a tad too bright. I like the bass and mid range just the treble gets a bit high and makes me cringe. I'm going to experiment a bit with DAC's. I tried a Arcam DAC and liked it a lot more than my Oppo HA-1.

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #31,040 of 42,298

I'm using the Mullard GZ32 rectifier. Nice big difference when I switched that out.

The Tung Sol 7236 from Woo for power tubes. I didn't notice any sound change just extra volume. Also have the Svetlana 6N13s coming.

and Sylvania 6SN7GTB's as driver tubes. Also have some RCA USA 6SN7GT smoked coming.

The current tubes sound is close. Very close. Just a tad too bright. I like the bass and mid range just the treble gets a bit high and makes me cringe. I'm going to experiment a bit with DAC's. I tried a Arcam DAC and liked it a lot more than my Oppo HA-1.

Just a suggestion - if you are wanting to change the tonality to something darker I would stick with tube rolling rather than changing DACs. I have found the tonality differences between DACs (bright or dark) to be very subtle compared to tubes. You have heard what a difference the GZ32 makes - a similar step change in driver and/or power tubes is more likely to get you the result you want than a change in DAC.

If you are wanting to improve detail, soundstage, extension ... etc, then by all means look at a DAC upgrade.

I'm glad you like the GZ32. I'm a big fan of these sweet tubes. Thanks again to DubStepGirl for getting the word out in the rectifier thread.

As always, this is just my 2 cents and YMMV
smile.gif

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #31,041 of 42,298

Just a suggestion - if you are wanting to change the tonality to something darker I would stick with tube rolling rather than changing DACs. I have found the tonality differences between DACs (bright or dark) to be very subtle compared to tubes. You have heard what a difference the GZ32 makes - a similar step change in driver and/or power tubes is more likely to get you the result you want than a change in DAC.

Okay. Excellent.

Maybe I'm being a bit impatient. I've been told that the RCA 6SN7GT smoked will tone it down a bit. Probably all I need. I will roll to those as soon as they arrive. Plus everything is young. Amp and tubes. So I will let things settle before making any hardware moves.

If you are wanting to improve detail, soundstage, extension ... etc, then by all means look at a DAC upgrade.

Nope. I'm not looking at any of those things. Just rolling off the treble a bit. That's all.

I'm glad you like the GZ32. I'm a big fan of these sweet tubes. Thanks again to DubStepGirl for getting the word out in the rectifier thread.  

Absolutely. What a big difference that made. One of the best recommendations this year. Thank you DubStepGirl.

Thanks TonyNewman for the advice.

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #31,042 of 42,298
One other factor to take into account is burn in. Both amps and tubes will change their sound over the first 50 to 300 hours. My Taurus amp was bright for about 150 hours before it mellowed out. Some of my tubes need 300 hours to reach stability. That is a lot of hours for a tube amp - it can takes several weeks to fully burn in some items.

I would give any tube at least 50 hours before reaching any sort of judgement on it. I have had tubes that were muddy and microphonic and just plain awful for the first 50+ hours, and then opened up into something nice.

I have about 200 hours on my SERP 300B power tubes and they are still improving.

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #31,043 of 42,298
was reluctant to get the gz32 (beside the Miniwatt DD gz34 metal base and the Philips 5R4GYS i already have), but since you all making such a fuss about it, i guess i could puke 75 bucks shipped for a 50s Philips Holland
tongue_smile.gif
for my wa6-se ???

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #31,044 of 42,298
Sep 29, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #31,045 of 42,298
  was reluctant to get the gz32 (beside the Miniwatt DD gz34 metal base and the Philips 5R4GYS i already have), but since you all making such a fuss about it, i guess i could puke 75 bucks shipped for a 50s Philips Holland
tongue_smile.gif
for my wa6-se ???

Just make sure to get the GZ32 that is marked CV593, those are the NOS baby U52's.  You can find them anywhere from $50 to $90 depending on how good you are at looking for them, Upscale I know has/had a reasonable stock of them and they aren't all that rare if you look around.  I am sure the prices will go up like most of the tubes as soon as they become popular and people start gouging.

Wish I could find a metal base GZ34 but you have people selling them for nearly $800, which is utterly insane for a single rectifier tube by my standards.  Then again the WE274B goes for a nice $1200+ for a single, although one was up a few months back that sold for $630, almost considered it just for the resale value.

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #31,047 of 42,298
Sep 29, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #31,048 of 42,298

Yip. Thats them. Cheaper from Upscale Audio tho.

Oh yeah, Upscale does have them. I am once again poorer. I think this marks my last rectifier purchase, I've got pretty much everything that's feasible (including 596 and RK60). Need one or two more pairs of 6SN7s to play around with, and maybe another type of high-end 300B long-term, and I am done.

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #31,049 of 42,298

Oh yeah, Upscale does have them. I am once again poorer. I think this marks my last rectifier purchase, I've got pretty much everything that's feasible (including 596 and RK60). Need one or two more pairs of 6SN7s to play around with, and maybe another type of high-end 300B long-term, and I am done.

Good score. Yeah I think I'm set for Rectifiers as well. Just picked up a couple of 5AW4's that Glenn has been talking about. They are suppose to be great.

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #31,050 of 42,298
tongue_smile.gif
for my wa6-se ???

I owned a the Mullard GZ32, and paid $80.00 for it at the time, and thought it was a very detailed tube with good clarity and separation but lacked a bit of warmth…but was well worth the $ compared to some rectifier tubes out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back