Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 29, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #31,021 of 42,298
My WA22 high gain / low gain doesn't seem to work.

If I have the volume set half way playing music and I switch from high to low should there be a difference in volume?

On mine it is exactly the same level.
confused_face_2.gif

it's an output impedance switch not a gain selector

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #31,022 of 42,298
it's an output impedance switch not a gain selector

Okay. Whew. I'm new to my Woo. I was getting worried. I didn't want it repaired all ready.

So my headphones are Audeze LCD 3's pre fazor. Do I put on high or low?

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #31,024 of 42,298
Quote:

(apologies for wandering a little off topic in this reply).

I just did some mental maths on how many WA22 amps I could buy for what I have spent on 300B tubes for my WA5. The answer is close to '2'.

I love the sound of the WA5, but high end 300Bs are bat****crazy expensive.
confused_face.gif

Yeah, guess the term Budget 300B is an oxymoron

Quote:
  Are you saying you have 16 pairs Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's, and you paid $60.00 for them?

What i meant was the above combination in the pic cost me $ 60 & gives decent sound. I have a pair of Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's coming in for which I paid $ 16. I will substitute the Sylv's for the TS in the above combination & If I still get similar decent sound then the  cost of a tube combo which gives decent sound on the WA22 will fall from $ 60 to $ 46.

Sep 29, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #31,025 of 42,298
Okay. Whew. I'm new to my Woo. I was getting worried. I didn't want it repaired all ready.

Badas,

Typically HP's with impedance of 300 ohm & above (HP's like Senn HD 600 / 650 / 700 / 800, Beyer T90 / T1) are meant to give better sound with high impd setting. Whereas HP with impd lower than that (Audeze's , TH 600 / 900 ) will sound better with low impd setting. But this is not a hard & fast rule try both & see which one you like.

With my XC / TH 900 the the HP's become very loud with only a small turn of the dial on High impd setting & I get very little play with the volume control hence I prefer using the low impd setting. Sound is similar on both settings IMO for the XC / TH 900.

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #31,026 of 42,298

Badas,

Typically HP's with impedance of 300 ohm & above (HP's like Senn HD 600 / 650 / 700 / 800, Beyer T90 / T1) are meant to give better sound with high impd setting. Whereas HP with impd lower than that (Audeze's , TH 600 / 900 ) will sound better with low impd setting. But this is not a hard & fast rule try both & see which one you like.

With my XC / TH 900 the the HP's become very loud with only a small turn of the dial on High impd setting & I get very little play with the volume control hence I prefer using the low impd setting. Sound is similar on both settings IMO for the XC / TH 900.

so it is a gain selector? not a output impedance setting?

Sep 29, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #31,027 of 42,298
It is supposed to be an Impedance matching switch (to the best of my knowledge) but strangely acts as a Gain selector for some low impd HP's (i.e SQ is similar in both settings but gain level differs). I have not tried High impd HP's on low impd setting. Will try my HD 800 & T1 on both settings today & report back.

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #31,028 of 42,298
np, guess there will be a slightly difference in power, more noticeable with high sensitivity cans, just wanted to know about the function since woo audio is pretty vague about its specification, and i'm quite curious what the actual values are?

Sep 29, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #31,029 of 42,298
I've just conducted a big test. I found low had a very slight edge. Soundstage was a tad more realistic, just slightly mellowed any tiny bit less harsh. No difference in volume using Audeze.

System is still too bright for my taste. I have the RCA smoked glass drivers coming soon. I hope that rolls the treble a bit. Starting to think that the Oppo HA-1 is the issue tho. Might have to change the DAC.

Will the treble change much with age? All my tubes are very young. Less than 10 hours.

Sep 29, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #31,030 of 42,298
  It is supposed to be an Impedance matching switch (to the best of my knowledge) but strangely acts as a Gain selector for some low impd HP's (i.e SQ is similar in both settings but gain level differs). I have not tried High impd HP's on low impd setting. Will try my HD 800 & T1 on both settings today & report back.

I get a significant increase in volume between the low and high settings with my HD800's.

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #31,034 of 42,298
System is still too bright for my taste. I have the RCA smoked glass drivers coming soon. I hope that rolls the treble a bit. Starting to think that the Oppo HA-1 is the issue tho. Might have to change the DAC.

Will the treble change much with age? All my tubes are very young. Less than 10 hours.

What tubes are you currently using ? Some of my tubes had sharp treble which disappeared out after about 70-100 hrs of burn in.

Sep 29, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #31,035 of 42,298
  Quote:

What i meant was the above combination in the pic cost me $ 60 & gives decent sound. I have a pair of Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's coming in for which I paid $ 16. I will substitute the Sylv's for the TS in the above combination & If I still get similar decent sound then the  cost of a tube combo which gives decent sound on the WA22 will fall from $ 60 to $ 46.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you pick up Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's for $16.00???
I've paid quite a bit more for the 6SN7's I have, and would be very interested in more at this price.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back