Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 26, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #30,991 of 42,298

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161405293349

Gonna be fun to play with this while I wait for my WA5 to arrive. Seems expensive until you consider the cost of a typical 300B amp tube collection... and this is only going to go up in value as the years go by. Seller seems very reliable, and reconditioned/replaced all of the internal parts recently. Now I have to figure out how to actually use the damn thing without blowing stuff up.

Sep 26, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #30,992 of 42,298

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161405293349

Gonna be fun to play with this while I wait for my WA5 to arrive. Seems expensive until you consider the cost of a typical 300B amp tube collection... and this is only going to go up in value as the years go by. Seller seems very reliable, and reconditioned/replaced all of the internal parts recently. Now I have to figure out how to actually use the damn thing without blowing stuff up.

Good score. Well done. I have thought about a tester then decided against it. Just to much to learn.

A bit of a cebration today. I'm now totally NOS. My final piece of the puzzle came today. NOS driver tubes.

Sep 26, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #30,993 of 42,298
If you wanna spend pretty pennies on a tester, should just go for this:

http://www.amplitrex.com/about.html (Amplitrex AT1000)

I got my Jackson 648A tester from a swap meet for $75, deoxit a few internal parts and replaced a few wires.  Bought several tubes from FleaBay and the tester seemed to match the advertised measurements decently well.  It doesn't give micromhos reading but tube measurements are all about relative anyway so no biggie.         

Sep 26, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #30,994 of 42,298
  If you wanna spend pretty pennies on a tester, should just go for this:

http://www.amplitrex.com/about.html (Amplitrex AT1000)

I got my Jackson 648A tester from a swap meet for $75, deoxit a few internal parts and replaced a few wires.  Bought several tubes from FleaBay and the tester seemed to match the advertised measurements decently well.  It doesn't give micromhos reading but tube measurements are all about relative anyway so no biggie.         

Heh, I did look at the Amplitrex but for three grand it's more than the cost of even the most expensive classic tester. Plus it's got firmware and who know what complex solid-state parts, if they ever go out of business you've basically got an expensive doorstep on your hands. Whereas these classic testers are simple enough machines they can be indefinitely maintained by those reasonably experienced in electronics.

Sep 26, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #30,995 of 42,298

Heh, I did look at the Amplitrex but for three grand it's more than the cost of even the most expensive classic tester. Plus it's got firmware and who know what complex solid-state parts, if they ever go out of business you've basically got an expensive doorstep on your hands. Whereas these classic testers are simple enough machines they can be indefinitely maintained by those reasonably experienced in electronics.

That's true, I stand with you on the old-schools-are-better-than-new-schools...
Those Hickoks are nice, but too much $$ for me.  I would rather just buy one WE300b 
atsmile.gif

Sep 27, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #30,996 of 42,298
The one thing I don't like about WA22 is the XLR sockets (both back & front), they do not lock, they just slide in & out, feels flimsy. All the good quality (& even some low quality) HP amps have locking XLR sockets. Gives such a nice , solid feel when you hear that click as you plug in the cables.

Sep 27, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #30,997 of 42,298
The one thing I don't like about WA22 is the XLR sockets (both back & front), they do not lock, they just slide in & out, feels flimsy. All the good quality (& even some low quality) HP amps have locking XLR sockets. Gives such a nice , solid feel when you hear that click as you plug in the cables.

There can be one advantage to the headphones not locking in tho. If someone walks pass and trips on ya headphone cord it just gets pulled out. If it was locked you would or could have a smashed Woo on the floor. :wink: It hasn't happened to me yet. However had a few close calls. I prefer it doesn't lock. Just my opinion. :)

Sep 27, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #30,998 of 42,298
In that case the HP's will fly off your head before the WA22 falls on the floor. It is a heavy amp.
wink_face.gif
But yeah the cable may get damaged in the process.

That's why I cordon off the area around me with Police Tape when listening
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #30,999 of 42,298
  In that case the HP's will fly off your head before the WA22 falls on the floor. It is a heavy amp.
wink_face.gif
But yeah the cable may get damaged in the process.

That's why I cordon off the area around me with Police Tape when listening
biggrin.gif

If your cable gets wrapped around a desk chair arm or a dog then nope, that Woo is heading to its demise. That's why locking headphone cables are a terrible idea.

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #31,001 of 42,298
I wanted to see which combination of NOS tubes from amongst my collection give me decent sound at the cheapest cost on the WA22. Well the winner is :

Chatham 5R4WGB ($ 10) + Svetlana 6N13S / 6H13C ($ 20) + TS 6SNTGT ($ 30)

Nothing wow but decent "listenable" sound  @ $ 60. I have $ 16 pair of Sylvania 6SN7GTA's coming in , lets see if they can give comparable or better sound thus lowering the cost for decent sound.

Do you guys have any such low cost, decent sound NOS combo's ?

Sep 28, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #31,002 of 42,298

(apologies for wandering a little off topic in this reply).

I just did some mental maths on how many WA22 amps I could buy for what I have spent on 300B tubes for my WA5. The answer is close to '2'.

I love the sound of the WA5, but high end 300Bs are bat****crazy expensive.
confused_face.gif

To get back on topic, the only real NOS bargain I have found is the Mullard GZ32 rectifier. This gem sells for around 80-90 bucks (cheap by 274B standards), and sounds excellent.

To my ears it kills the Sophia Princess ($160) and EML Mesh ($270).

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #31,003 of 42,298
  I wanted to see which combination of NOS tubes from amongst my collection give me decent sound at the cheapest cost on the WA22. Well the winner is :

Nothing wow but decent "listenable" sound  @ $ 60. I have $ 16 pair of Sylvania 6SN7GTA's coming in , lets see if they can give comparable or better sound thus lowering the cost for decent sound.

What a fantastic idea. It gives those guys who have just got a Woo a start point without breaking the bank.

Quote:

(apologies for wandering a little off topic in this reply).

I just did some mental maths on how many WA22 amps I could buy for what I have spent on 300B tubes for my WA5. The answer is close to '2'.

I love the sound of the WA5, but high end 300Bs are bat****crazy expensive.
confused_face.gif

To get back on topic, the only real NOS bargain I have found is the Mullard GZ32 rectifier. This gem sells for around 80-90 bucks (cheap by 274B standards), and sounds excellent.

To my ears it kills the Sophia Princess ($160) and EML Mesh ($270).

Yeah the Mullard GZ32 is Gold. Made the biggest difference to my setup so far. I have two. Using one and have one as spare. I need to pick up another 4. Will do soon.

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #31,004 of 42,298
  Yeah the Mullard GZ32 is Gold. Made the biggest difference to my setup so far. I have two. Using one and have one as spare. I need to pick up another 4. Will do soon.

Don't delay would be my suggestion. I bought my first 2 a month or so ago @ $80. I ordered another 2 last week and the price had jumped to $90.

Looks like the word is getting out on how good the GZ32 is.

Sep 28, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #31,005 of 42,298

Are you saying you have 16 pairs Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's, and you paid $60.00 for them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back