Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 13, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #40,561 of 42,298
Yes!

Among the best of the 6F8G, there is not a huge difference, but for me, the Tung Sol round plate, and the National Union VT-99 are incredible. Extremely close to each other. There is a bit of a falloff to the RCA 6F8G that I have, though it's great too.

That said, when I was getting into 6F8G, I don't think it had quite caught on yet. I was able to snap up probably 10 pairs of TS and NU at maybe $40/pair, or less. Now, they are $200/pair, or more. If I was getting into it now, I'd say the RCA tubes are enough for me.

By the way, I also didn't really read carefully, you are on a WA6SE, and I'm not sure that my tubes work with your amp, I have a plain WA6. It's been years since I rolled tubes, but I don't think you're supposed to use the 6F8G adapter with the WA6SE, right? In which case, I can't help much. btw the 596 is supposed to be a great rectifier, as the above poster mentioned. I'm sure it's better than the Brimar, though I'd get a few Brimars anyways, can't beat their value. (should be like 25 per rectifier)

Tung-Sol 6F8G is my go to driver. I snapped up 16 pairs. 5 years latter I still haven't gone through a set.
I also snapped up 6 sets of NU VT-99. A little leaner but sweeter to my ear. Great tubes.

May 14, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #40,562 of 42,298
Tung-Sol 6F8G is my go to driver. I snapped up 16 pairs. 5 years latter I still haven't gone through a set.
I also snapped up 6 sets of NU VT-99. A little leaner but sweeter to my ear. Great tubes.
Wasn't it 6C8G that you bought back then? I seem to remember that. Maybe you have 16 pairs of 6F8G as well what do I know :)
Point is that 6C8G and 6F8G are very different tubes. They might look similar, or the same, but the operating points and tube characteristics are completely different.

May 14, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #40,563 of 42,298
I’m in need of assistance, my W5 started distorting this afternoon, I get music, but it’s mixed with white noise. Any idea which tube(s) I should look at first?

May 14, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #40,564 of 42,298
I’m in need of assistance, my W5 started distorting this afternoon, I get music, but it’s mixed with white noise. Any idea which tube(s) I should look at first?
If it's both channels I would take a look at the rectifiers. The other tubes should not interfere. If it's just one channel you can swap one by one to see which one has issues.

May 14, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #40,565 of 42,298
Tap with your finger on the tubes, one at a time, and listen if the noise stops. It probably will.

May 14, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #40,566 of 42,298

Care to part with a pair?

May 14, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #40,567 of 42,298
If it's both channels I would take a look at the rectifiers. The other tubes should not interfere. If it's just one channel you can swap one by one to see which one has issues.

@SonicTrance , @elfary

I’ve isolated the issue, it’s my Hugo2 DAC, with both optical and coax inputs, do you have experience with Chord (or any other DAC) doing this?

May 14, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #40,569 of 42,298
@SonicTrance , @elfary

I’ve isolated the issue, it’s my Hugo2 DAC, with both optical and coax inputs, do you have experience with Chord (or any other DAC) doing this?
If i can throw @Currawong under the bus he had a couple of youtube videos on the hugo2 and he might be able to help. He seemed to be all over exactly how it works re interconnect options (pluses and minuses)

(I hope that’s ok Amos)

May 14, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #40,570 of 42,298
Wasn't it 6C8G that you bought back then? I seem to remember that. Maybe you have 16 pairs of 6F8G as well what do I know :)
Point is that 6C8G and 6F8G are very different tubes. They might look similar, or the same, but the operating points and tube characteristics are completely different.

LOL. Right you are. I forget the codes now. I just use them.

I do have 6 sets of the of the 6F8G TS round plates as well + the small version (can't remember the code). I didn't hear a sound difference. Just a volume difference.
The NU tubes can be a hit or miss. Some can be noisy.

May 14, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #40,571 of 42,298
If i can throw @Currawong under the bus he had a couple of youtube videos on the hugo2 and he might be able to help. He seemed to be all over exactly how it works re interconnect options (pluses and minuses)

(I hope that’s ok Amos)

Yes. Sometimes a computer (or phone or tablet) can have issues sending to a DAC and with that you get distortion. The other thing that comes up (though more rarely) is if an amp has the volume control not on the input, but after a gain stage (Audio-gd for example) and the input is being overloaded. I don't remember offhand, but I think Woo Audio amps are all volume-control-on-input so I can't imagine this happening.

May 15, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #40,572 of 42,298
I substituted my Mojo and everything worked, I appreciate your advice. Could an amp throwing off a bit of dc damage a DAC? The follow up to that is are there any reports of the WA5 or Milo doing so?

May 24, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #40,573 of 42,298
Hi buddy, I wonder to start this thread earlier when I received my amp and searched that there is no such tiltle so I start it. Please also state what headphone/s you're pairing with and how do you love the combo.

My WA6SE arrived by mid-March this year. I ordered a Sophia Princess 274B and two pairs 6EW7 along with the amp.

R0013739.JPG

Then, finally the following tubes are arriving my home in the following week. Found that I did not swap the Sophia into any other rectifier when I put it in and after burn-in, DAMN, I waste another piece (or 2?) Sophia on all these rectifier although most of them are great tubes but not as good as the Sophia.

3490931221_5f6bbd551d.jpg

It is really an wonderful amp which sounds much over than expected and getting better and better. I have it pair with Senn HD650 (APS V3 SuperNylon/ RAL up-grade with Cardas Plugs and Furutech Plug), AKG K701 (re-cabled by Jena Labs Cable) and JVC HP-DX1000. The K701 combo is the best IMO that I'm not expected, I preferred the HD650 would be a perfect match with WA6SE ( learned that from a lot of reviews and impressions in head-fi) before I receive the WA6SE but I finally found I love the synergy with the K701 combo over the Senn. I can hear those deep, impactful and tight mid-bass from the K701 that I've never heard before and don't have to mention the airy, clearity highs as usual, it make the K701 sounds much more balance. For the DX1000, I don't think it is a good matching or just my weird listening taste, I thought that the highs from the DX1000 is veiled and the mid-bass is bloated with 6SE, not familiar to others who love this combo a lot.

Not to say much here since there are tons of good reviews and impression here in head-fi for Woo Audio's products. But I have to state that I love my WA6SE very much.

I have the WA6 2nd Gen. I don't do a lot of tube rolling. BUT I am finding that there is magic in swapping tubes around regardless or pricey vs more affordable. I found that 13 FD7's Fat Bottles were lacking some power with the Sophia Princess. The 13DE7's pumped it up a bit. With a recommendation of the $35 Brimar NOS 5Z4G rectifier I wasn't wowed per se...but then I popped the Fat Bottles in and the Wow factor hit. Just a lot more power with better bottom end. I have several cans but seem to keep using my Focal Elears.

May 29, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #40,575 of 42,298
Hi

I was hoping someone could give some impressions of what WA7 Tps sounds like compared to the WA8 I’m thinking of selling my WA7 and trying WA8 I would like the best of both worlds portability and desktop.
I currently have the EH gold pins in the amp and Mullards in the power supply.

Any feedback would be great

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back