Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 17, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #40,126 of 42,299
I'm glad to hear that. I own the Catham Electronics 2399 (at the end of their life :frowning2: ) which from what I've read should be kind of same as these Tung Sol 5998 and the sale said they are NOS and price was ok so I was thinking... well at least I get new tubes of the same tier as the ones I have now and really like.

I'm also looking for rectifiers and remember people talking about Brimar EZ80, but there are Brimars on ebay for 15$ so I'm not sure if such a cheap tube can be the superb one. ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/BRIMAR-EZ80-CV-1535-NOS-FOREIGN-BVA/332475762328?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649 )

Do you guys have any favorite rectifiers ? Do they even matter ?

Rectifiers make a very big difference but I have no experience with the brimar ez80..

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #40,127 of 42,299
Hello guys,

I was thinking about buying some high-end power tubes for my Woo WA2, could you give me some recommendations ? I think I remember that one of the most sought after was Western Electric 421A, is this still the king or is there something better or similar ?

Thanks a lot for any info :wink:

A re-post of my answer to a similar question, some time ago. Please note that I have a WA3 (not a WA2, so YMMV). Also, since writing this, I've spent more time with a pair of GEC 6AS7g "Brown Base" power tubes - I like 'em a lot. So, in the list below, I would place the GECs at 1.5.

For the power tubes, that one is harder (read: more expensive). I recommend the following, in ascending order:

3. Tung-Sol 7236 - clean and crisp sound, less bloomy or tubey (are those real words?), decent power and fast dynamics (compared to other 6080 compatible tubes). That last part is real; after spending a lot of time with the next two tubes, I noticed the speed right away with the TS 7236.

*Note: I have Sylvania 7236 tubes that don't sound half-bad; are close in sound, less expensive and less rare. Maybe try these - I haven't listened to these for a while?

2. Tung-Sol 5998 (or Chatham 2399) - the Chatham tubes are re-branded TS 5998, but my pair has somewhat different sound characteristic between the types, which might be a factor of wear. The TS 5998 is a favorite of many and presents a lot of bass and more "tube sound". IMO, it's a very syrupy tube with a lot of "bloom"; with the HD-650s, I think it sounds quite pleasing for some music, like warm guitar rock or female vocals.

1. Western Electric 421a - these have been described as the "holy grail" for 6080 compatible tubes; so far, I agree. Many believe these are identical to the TS 5998, of this I respectfully disagree. These tubes are now stupidly expensive on eBay. IMO, the Westys combine the best of the TS 7236 and the TS 5998 - that is, there is good bass and oomph, but with less bloom (i.e. less bleed of lower frequencies into the lower mids). The speed is good (not as great as the 7236, IMO), but what really separate the Westys from the pack is the clear, warm tonality. Seriously, with this glass, I can listen all night and lose track of the time.

*Note: I have a collection of 6AS7Gs from RCA (black plates) and Tung-Sol, but folks who know better usually advocate the GEC version, which is expensive and more rare; I have not done extensive listening to my 6AS7Gs, work gets in the way, so I with-hold comments on these tubes.

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #40,128 of 42,299
A re-post of my answer to a similar question, some time ago. Please note that I have a WA3 (not a WA2, so YMMV). Also, since writing this, I've spent more time with a pair of GEC 6AS7g "Brown Base" power tubes - I like 'em a lot. So, in the list below, I would place the GECs at 1.5.

Hey, thanks for nice summary.

Are these the Tung-Sol 7236'es you write about ?

s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg

GEC 6AS7g "Brown Base" .... this thing is impossible to get these days isn't it ?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #40,129 of 42,299
Hey, thanks for nice summary.

Are these the Tung-Sol 7236'es you write about ?

GEC 6AS7g "Brown Base" .... this thing is impossible to get these days isn't it ?

I would assume they are the same. Yes, the GECs are unicorn tubes and seem to be even more rare than the WE421a w/ bottom D-getters.

Feb 21, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #40,131 of 42,299
Although I don't own KR 274B's I do own some KR variants of 300b's. I also own EML's. I like the KR sound marginally better than EML and definitely better than Sophia's. I sold off all of my Sophia's as I preferred the Czech tubes to my ears. On another note. 274b's are rectifiers. They do have an impact on sound but it is less than good driver and power tubes.

do you have the tradition/regular 300b and the balloon one? what's the difference?

Feb 21, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #40,132 of 42,299
I would assume they are the same. Yes, the GECs are unicorn tubes and seem to be even more rare than the WE421a w/ bottom D-getters.

Ok, thank you !

Btw, may I ask how do I find out I'm looking at "D-getter" version of the tube ? I'm such a tubenoob :) I understand what shield is on ECC88 type tubes, since there are silver and gray shields which is quite easy to see, but I'm not sure what does "bottom D-getter" mean or how does it look like.

Feb 21, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #40,133 of 42,299
do you have the tradition/regular 300b and the balloon one? what's the difference?

The balloon 300B is a visual variation. The internals are usually the same as a corresponding 300B from the same manufacturer. I have EML 520B V3 (Incredible Sound and Power and a huge tube 8.5 inches from base to top ), EML 300B-XLS (Very Similar to the 520B V3 In sound), EML 300B Mesh (My least Favourite, OK sound but has a harshness to it, even broken in), KR 300B (Really nice sound). My only caution is that the exotic 300B's are good in WOO Amps with auto biasing. Other manufacturers may not recommend them. Always try to check first. The KR's at work:

Headphone Rig.JPG

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #40,134 of 42,299
The balloon 300B is a visual variation. The internals are usually the same as a corresponding 300B from the same manufacturer. I have EML 520B V3 (Incredible Sound and Power and a huge tube 8.5 inches from base to top ), EML 300B-XLS (Very Similar to the 520B V3 In sound), EML 300B Mesh (My least Favourite, OK sound but has a harshness to it, even broken in), KR 300B (Really nice sound). My only caution is that the exotic 300B's are good in WOO Amps with auto biasing. Other manufacturers may not recommend them. Always try to check first. The KR's at work:

sorry, i actually meant, just what's the difference between the kr audio regular 300b and the balloon 300b

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #40,136 of 42,299
Hello guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but other threads seems to be kind of dead.

I was thinking about buying some high-end power tubes for my Woo WA2, could you give me some recommendations ? I think I remember that one of the most sought after was Western Electric 421A, is this still the king or is there something better or similar ?

Thanks a lot for any info :wink:
For ME the best power tubes are the gec 6as7g

Exceptional detail. Great layering. Exceptional extension through both lower and upper ends. Not grainy or muddy at all (like cheaper tubes).

PERSONALLY i easily rate these above the tung sol 5998. SImply more magical (with my hd800)

They do pop up from ebay from professional tube sellers/stores for about $500-$600 usd a pair. I have three pairs (not NOS but very good) that i picked up along the way a lot cheaper - patience and luck.

You can sometimes find a pair for about $300 - just check the seller has a good history and accepts returns if you find them noisy (eg humming)

I use these 90-95% of the time because of what it delivers as described above.

I would easily spend $500/600 if i needed a new pair without blinking...after i checked i had the money for it of course and looked around for a deal

I have never been bothered about round v non round bases. As long as they are brown.
And I have never been overly concerned about matched pairs - unless i was to spend $500+

You'll see seller called "yitry" comes up with pairs on ebay from time to time - that is Langrex in the UK

Feb 21, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #40,137 of 42,299
Ok, thank you !

Btw, may I ask how do I find out I'm looking at "D-getter" version of the tube ? I'm such a tubenoob :) I understand what shield is on ECC88 type tubes, since there are silver and gray shields which is quite easy to see, but I'm not sure what does "bottom D-getter" mean or how does it look like.

See the attached photo form my collection. Those 'D'-shaped loops at the bottom are D-getters. If you look at the 5998 and many of the WE 421a tubes I've seen, they are missing these.

Tube manufacturers would routinely re-label someone else's tubes to fill a sales order. For example, I have a set of Telefunken E288CC driver tubes, but they are really Siemens tubes from the early '60s (Telefunken never made an E288CC, but they did make E188CC tubes). I'm not a tube historian, so take my comments with the appropriate grain of salt.

However, I believe the 5998 / 421a confusion comes from re-branding of another vendor's tube. All of the 421a tubes I own came from a Western Bell person's estate sale and I believe they are Western Electric OEM tubes.

And, FWIW, they really do outshine the GECs and everything else I've heard.

IMG_0088.jpg

Feb 22, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #40,138 of 42,299
For ME the best power tubes are the gec 6as7g

Exceptional detail. Great layering. Exceptional extension through both lower and upper ends. Not grainy or muddy at all (like cheaper tubes).

PERSONALLY i easily rate these above the tung sol 5998. SImply more magical (with my hd800)

They do pop up from ebay from professional tube sellers/stores for about $500-$600 usd a pair. I have three pairs (not NOS but very good) that i picked up along the way a lot cheaper - patience and luck.

You can sometimes find a pair for about $300 - just check the seller has a good history and accepts returns if you find them noisy (eg humming)

I use these 90-95% of the time because of what it delivers as described above.

I would easily spend $500/600 if i needed a new pair without blinking...after i checked i had the money for it of course and looked around for a deal

I have never been bothered about round v non round bases. As long as they are brown.
And I have never been overly concerned about matched pairs - unless i was to spend $500+

You'll see seller called "yitry" comes up with pairs on ebay from time to time - that is Langrex in the UK

See the attached photo form my collection. Those 'D'-shaped loops at the bottom are D-getters. If you look at the 5998 and many of the WE 421a tubes I've seen, they are missing these.

Tube manufacturers would routinely re-label someone else's tubes to fill a sales order. For example, I have a set of Telefunken E288CC driver tubes, but they are really Siemens tubes from the early '60s (Telefunken never made an E288CC, but they did make E188CC tubes). I'm not a tube historian, so take my comments with the appropriate grain of salt.

However, I believe the 5998 / 421a confusion comes from re-branding of another vendor's tube. All of the 421a tubes I own came from a Western Bell person's estate sale and I believe they are Western Electric OEM tubes.

And, FWIW, they really do outshine the GECs and everything else I've heard.

Thank you guys that's awesome info, exactly what I was looking for.

Now I finally get what is "D-getter" ; )

Feb 22, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #40,139 of 42,299
I agree with you guys the 5998's I own are simply outstanding in their sound quality, I also owned many different 6as7g's & 6080's which sound great especially the mullards, but none are really even close to the 5998's, this is very subjective of course and is only my opinion..enjoy

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #40,140 of 42,299

Great system! I am a fan of PS Audio products as well. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back